What factors are involved in loss or retention of host server status and in determining links?

Tinnel.4369

Active wvw population.Usually the top 12 NA or 15 EU servers in population are host.The lower servers are used as links, they are linked in order to match servers around them, not necessarily to match all servers evenly, as in a case of BG it can't exactly happen getting two other even links to match them, unless you want to really screw over the lower tiers.Balance of the links are usually upset the day after as players tend to move around.

@XenesisII.1540 said:Active wvw population.Usually the top 12 NA or 15 EU servers in population are host.The lower servers are used as links, they are linked in order to match servers around them, not necessarily to match all servers evenly, as in a case of BG it can't exactly happen getting two other even links to match them, unless you want to really screw over the lower tiers.Balance of the links are usually upset the day after as players tend to move around.

Thanks for the response.

Are there any trends or thresholds identifiable in the combination of population and ranking producing the hosts and links?

What factors are involved in loss or retention of host server status and in determining links?ANet's been pretty clear about this, although it lacks specifics that any of us can use to predict or even explain specific match ups.

As @XenesisII.1540 wrote, it's entirely based on population, which includes only WvW participation.

There's some weighting involved and we don't have the specifics. For example, 10 hours/week by one person weighs more heavily than one hour/week by ten; we don't know by how much.

The server status is entirely a matter of trying to keep the sizes suitable for having the two-month period begin with even numbers. In the extreme, if one world has triple the participation of the next "biggest," then it becomes nearly impossible to arrange match-ups so that any other team is of comparable size. So they'll close transfers to the biggest worlds (which the game refers to as "full", even though there's still room for more in a technical sense).

It's also, at best, a temporary measure. As @XenesisII.1540 wrote, the balance is upset within hours by transfers.

If the current population stays the same the high, very high and one full server will be the 12 hosts for the next relink.

World Language PopulationStormbluff Isle — MediumSanctum of Rall 4 — MediumKaineng — MediumJade Quarry — MediumIsle of Janthir — MediumHenge of Denravi — MediumGate of Madness — MediumEredon Terrace — MediumEhmry Bay 2 — MediumDevona's Rest 1 — MediumDarkhaven. — MediumBorlis Pass — MediumYak's Bend — HighTarnished Coast — HighSea of Sorrows — HighNorthern Shiverpeaks — HighMaguuma — HighFerguson's Crossing — HighDragonbrand. — HighCrystal Desert — HighAnvil Rock — HighSorrow's Furnace — Very HighFort Aspenwood — Very HighBlackgate — Full

And likely the only ‘full’ server will be missing a link. (And should)

@Strider Pj.2193 said:So wait..., @XenesisII.1540 gives the whole picture, and the next guy in the list gets the helpful?

There's no predicting how people use thumbs up or helpful.For example... despite you noticing this, you don't seem to have used either option to try to rectify the situation.(I don't mean that as a criticism -- I just mean, people don't always remember to use the buttons, even those who think about what posts are worth reading.)(For that matter, I meant to mark @XenesisII.1540's post... and I forgot, too.)

@Tinnel.4369 said:Are there any trends or thresholds identifiable in the combination of population and ranking producing the hosts and links?In brief: no.Anyone who thinks they've identified those trends or thresholds always ends up disappointed by the actual links/statuses.

It's mostly because we don't have any data to work with. All we can see are wvw points and kill ratios, in the weeks prior. Those are correlated with participation, but there's not a strict cause:effect that can be used. For example, the presence of just one more strong guild to a single map can have a big impact on score, without necessarily impacting the overall population much. Since we only see part of the picture, any predictions we make can't help being wrong.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:If the current population stays the same the high, very high and one full server will be the 12 hosts for the next relink.

World Language PopulationStormbluff Isle — MediumSanctum of Rall 4 — MediumKaineng — MediumJade Quarry — MediumIsle of Janthir — MediumHenge of Denravi — MediumGate of Madness — MediumEredon Terrace — MediumEhmry Bay 2 — MediumDevona's Rest 1 — MediumDarkhaven. — MediumBorlis Pass — MediumYak's Bend — HighTarnished Coast — HighSea of Sorrows — HighNorthern Shiverpeaks — HighMaguuma — HighFerguson's Crossing — HighDragonbrand. — HighCrystal Desert — HighAnvil Rock — HighSorrow's Furnace — Very HighFort Aspenwood — Very HighBlackgate — Full

This is informative, though how we're 'High' and our link is 'Medium' is beyond me.

@Tinnel.4369 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:If the current population stays the same the high, very high and one full server will be the 12 hosts for the next relink.

This is informative, though how we're 'High' and our link is 'Medium' is beyond me.

Given there are 4 tiers, the math just works that way right now.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:So wait..., @XenesisII.1540 gives the whole picture, and the next guy in the list gets the helpful?

There's no predicting how people use thumbs up or helpful.For example... despite you noticing this, you don't seem to have used either option to try to rectify the situation.(I don't mean that as a criticism -- I just mean, people don't always remember to use the buttons, even those who think about what posts are worth reading.)(For that matter, I meant to mark @XenesisII.1540's post... and I forgot, too.)

Wasn’t asking for clarification.

Understand how helpfuls work. But have a nice day.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

I don't follow the correlation between number of tiers and population status.

@Tinnel.4369 said:

So... 12 medium servers. All are links12 potetial ‘host servers’ that have high or greater population levels.

4 tiers, three host servers each tier, therefore 9 of them will be ‘high’ hosts with medium links.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

So... 12 medium servers. All are links12 potetial ‘host servers’ that have high or greater population levels.

4 tiers, three host servers each tier, therefore 9 of them will be ‘high’ hosts with medium links.

Oh, I get that. I mean the actual population assignment. I have a hard time believing we actually have anywhere near a high population and the link anywhere near medium. Realizing, of course, I'm not revealing something unknown about the system. Just redigesting the writing on the wall I guess.

@Tinnel.4369 said:

Oh, I get that. I mean the actual population assignment. I have a hard time believing we actually have anywhere near a high population and the link anywhere near medium. Realizing, of course, I'm not revealing something unknown about the system. Just redigesting the writing on the wall I guess.

They have never given a ‘low’ designation.

Thresholds are the only guide we have, and most would say those thresholds for each level of medium, high, very high, and ‘full’ have changed over the years as well.

To me, they are only relative terms. So, a high server is only high relative to a medium server. A medium server is only ‘medium because they can’t/won’t call it low.

But yeah, I think the thresholds moves based on trying to establish 12 host servers at this point. To call a host ‘medium’ at the start of a link would be essentially admitting the algorithm has failed the mode

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Thresholds are the only guide we have, and most would say those thresholds for each level of medium, high, very high, and ‘full’ have changed over the years as well.

To me, they are only relative terms. So, a high server is only high relative to a medium server. A medium server is only ‘medium because they can’t/won’t call it low.

But yeah, I think the thresholds moves based on trying to establish 12 host servers at this point. To call a host ‘medium’ at the start of a link would be essentially admitting the algorithm has failed the mode

Relative is right.

@Tinnel.4369 said:

Relative is right.

So.., it DOES look bleak, and I tend to be fairly optimistic.

Here is the ‘optimist’ in me coming out:

• it is summer and people are prepping to go back to college in the states
  • We have just had a large festival which frequently draws some of the servers to go and play
  • People are frustrated with no new changes on the horizon
  • Well.. that’s really all I got....

Actually based on Active WvW player base. Jade Quarry has a FULL server of players, majority PvE. We've lost 3 major WvW guilds recently that took out a whole swath of our player base support. We are now a link server, not because Jade Quarry is small. It's not about server size. It's about WvW population size. Reason why we're a link, and not a host.

So, NA now has two full servers and 1 very high.... but at least one medium pop server will need to be a host if we keep 4 tiers.

Current to 8-27-19 11:18 est

World Language PopulationBlackgate — FullFort Aspenwood — FullSorrow's Furnace — Very HighAnvil Rock — HighDragonbrand. — HighFerguson's Crossing 3 — HighMaguuma — HighNorthern Shiverpeaks — HighSea of Sorrows — HighTarnished Coast — HighYak's Bend — HighBorlis Pass — MediumCrystal Desert — MediumDarkhaven — MediumDevona's Rest 1 — MediumEhmry Bay 2 — MediumEredon Terrace — MediumGate of Madness — MediumHenge of Denravi — MediumIsle of Janthir — MediumJade Quarry — MediumKaineng — MediumSanctum of Rall 4 — MediumStormbluff Isle — Medium

@Strider Pj.2193 said:So, NA now has two full servers and 1 very high.... but at least one medium pop server will need to be a host if we keep 4 tiers.

World Language PopulationBlackgate — FullFort Aspenwood — FullSorrow's Furnace — Very HighAnvil Rock — HighDragonbrand. — HighFerguson's Crossing 3 — HighMaguuma — HighNorthern Shiverpeaks — HighSea of Sorrows — HighTarnished Coast — HighYak's Bend — HighBorlis Pass — MediumCrystal Desert — MediumDarkhaven — MediumDevona's Rest 1 — MediumEhmry Bay 2 — MediumEredon Terrace — MediumGate of Madness — MediumHenge of Denravi — MediumIsle of Janthir — MediumJade Quarry — MediumKaineng — MediumSanctum of Rall 4 — MediumStormbluff Isle — Medium

Or someone gets two links.......

I've been watching this too, but as we determined it's totally relative. I'm of the opinion that the bottom and upper thresholds for each classification must be worlds apart. Meaning you could be 'high' and still have a low percentage of what another 'high' server has. 'Medium' apparently covers everything between 'not high' and 0. I don't have a clue what 'very high' means other than you're full, but we don't know what to do with you yet based on all the other smaller pop servers. So, you get a server that's on the lower side of 'high' and pair them with a server that's on the lower side of 'medium' and you get the two servers that can't climb out of T4 and just fight for 2nd place every week. Then there's the two servers, one of which clobbers the two in T4 while the other one gets clobbered in T3 and they just swap back and forth every week.

Coverage is, of course an unaccounted for factor here, but it's also a nonsensical black box from my anecdotal evidence. We know our morning coverage is low, we also know theirs is low, and we also know we're outnumbered at least 2 to 1 across NA prime.

You can look at the current matchups and this population list and not be at all surprised about who is where. There's maybe two medium pop servers with the bodies or opposite coverage to put a high pop in a position to compete in the upper tiers.

@Tinnel.4369 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:So, NA now has two full servers and 1 very high.... but at least one medium pop server will need to be a host if we keep 4 tiers.

I've been watching this too, but as we determined it's totally relative. I'm of the opinion that the bottom and upper thresholds for each classification must be worlds apart. Meaning you could be 'high' and still have a low percentage of what another 'high' server has. 'Medium' apparently covers everything between 'not high' and 0. I don't have a clue what 'very high' means other than you're full, but we don't know what to do with you yet based on all the other smaller pop servers. So, you get a server that's on the lower side of 'high' and pair them with a server that's on the lower side of 'medium' and you get the two servers that can't climb out of T4 and just fight for 2nd place every week. Then there's the two servers, one of which clobbers the two in T4 while the other one gets clobbered in T3 and they just swap back and forth every week.

Coverage is, of course an unaccounted for factor here, but it's also a nonsensical black box from my anecdotal evidence. We know our morning coverage is low, we also know theirs is low, and we also know we're outnumbered at least 2 to 1 across NA prime.

You can look at the current matchups and this population list and not be at all surprised about who is where. There's maybe two medium pop servers with the bodies or opposite coverage to put a high pop in a position to compete in the upper tiers.

My point was: there are only 11 servers that are full, high or very high. Meaning at least one medium server has to be a host

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

My point was: there are only 11 servers that are full, high or very high. Meaning at least one medium server has to be a host

Err, ya, I got that backwards. Have two mediums ever been linked?

The low side of 'high' can simply be lowered and BAM, you get another 'high' pops and all is right in the world.