Mount skin delay

@Mewcifer.5198 said:Can you code? What is your coding experience? Have you worked on coding video games? Do you have any actual knowledge of the current coding used in GW2?One more year for my BCa hmu i'll tell you all about it.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:And no, I am not telling anyone to upgrade their computers. I am saying that a split second of seeing a base mount is not a big >issue. But if it really bothers you that much then you need a better computer because,like almost every single game in existence, GW2 runs more smoothly on better machines. Shocker, I know.I don't see it so lightly as you do i guess, I cant accept the fact that they charge premium price for something that has a poor implementation

I'll make it clear in case it wasn't, i'm not trying to disrespect the craftsmanship of the developers i'm simply asking for an upgrade where it fits, Considering the amount of focus this game gives to skins i think its pretty standard to ask for a better solution here.You mentioned other games so lets take a look at WoW where each mount is treated as its own "item" and not an over-lay.

@Shadow.4792 said:

@Mewcifer.5198 said:Can you code? What is your coding experience? Have you worked on coding video games? Do you have any actual knowledge of the current coding used in GW2?One more year for my BCa hmu i'll tell you all about it.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:And no, I am not telling anyone to upgrade their computers. I am saying that a split second of seeing a base mount is not a big >issue. But if it really bothers you
that
much then you need a better computer because,like almost every single game in existence, GW2 runs more smoothly on better machines. Shocker, I know.I don't see it so lightly as you do i guess, I cant accept the fact that they charge premium price for something that has a poor implementation

I'll make it clear in case it wasn't, i'm not trying to disrespect the craftsmanship of the developers i'm simply asking for an upgrade where it fits, Considering the amount of focus this game gives to skins i think its pretty standard to ask for a better solution here.You mentioned other games so lets take a look at WoW where each mount is treated as its own "item" and not an over-lay.

WoW mounts and GW2 mounts are not comparable. They are fundamentally different in many, many ways.

@"Goettel.4389" said:We're living a life where we can be bothered by small things. Lucky us :-)

Haha I guess your right.Its all a matter of perspective, When you see how much time and money we're investing to these "small things" suddenly they become not so small

@whoeverxwins.1279 said:

@"Goettel.4389" said:We're living a life where we can be bothered by small things. Lucky us :-)

Haha I guess your right.Its all a matter of perspective, When you see how much time and money we're investing to these "small things" suddenly they become not so small

Firstworldproblems

haha see if u can catch me

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:WoW mounts and GW2 mounts are not comparable. They are fundamentally different in many, many ways.

Never tried to compare them, Gave WoW as a example for how mount "skins" should be implemented, not the mount itself. I think gw2's take on mount is exceptional and other games should take it as an example as to how mounts should be.If you wish to discuss more on this subject feel free to PM me in game, but quite frankly i'm tired repeating myself over and over.

@Shadow.4792 said:

I don't claim to know everything, What I'm trying to say is that the performance of my computer makes no difference and I've also mentioned this in the OP.

and there you are wrong. Your computer's performance means everything. I have a beefy machine, I don't see the issue. And I play on LINUX. But since my Gw2.dat is on a m2 ssd, loading models is not a problem.

@Shadow.4792 said:Bottom line is I paid for a premium skin it should load just as fast as the default one.

then upgrade your hardware. Default is default. Always loaded, always in memory. Your gemstore item is not. Either get more memory, put gw2.dat on a ssd or best: do both. Voila, no more loading issues.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

I don't claim to know everything, What I'm trying to say is that the performance of my computer makes no difference and I've also mentioned this in the OP.

and there you are wrong. Your computer's performance means everything. I have a beefy machine, I don't see the issue. And I play on LINUX. But since my Gw2.dat is on a m2 ssd, loading models is not a problem.

@Shadow.4792 said:Bottom line is I paid for a premium skin it should load just as fast as the default one.

then upgrade your hardware. Default is default. Always loaded, always in memory. Your gemstore item is not. Either get more memory, put gw2.dat on a ssd or best: do both. Voila, no more loading issues.

I agree that having a good machine minimize the issue. my problem is that it shouldn't be the way for us to fix it, i think its fair ask from the developers to create a decent code that doesn't require the majority of the play base to have good computers so that skins will actually load like they should, if my computer can load default skin no reason it wont load the premium skin just as fast , if others games can do it no reason Guild Wars 2 should fall behind.

@Shadow.4792 said:I agree that having a good machine minimize the issue.

No, it won't. It's the same as with any Unreal 3 engine - environment loads 3000min after the start.Core i7-7700K OCed, GTX1800TI, 16gb ddr4 3200, ssd Samsung evo m2 key with Gb/s througput. I see the same issue, it's the crappy cheap engine,not the HW. Windows of course, that might be the key..

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:then upgrade your hardware. Default is default. Always loaded, always in memory. Your gemstore item is not. Either get more memory, put gw2.dat on a ssd or best: do both. Voila, no more loading issues.

@Derdzvero.7051 said:No, it won't. It's the same as with any Unreal 3 engine - environment loads 3000min after the start.Core i7-7700K OCed, GTX1800TI, 16gb ddr4 3200, ssd Samsung evo m2 key with Gb/s througput. I see the same issue, it's the crappy cheap engine,not the HW. Windows of course, that might be the key..

Wish we could get a comment on this matter from arena-net's developers

@Derdzvero.7051 said:

@Shadow.4792 said:I agree that having a good machine minimize the issue.

No, it won't. It's the same as with any Unreal 3 engine - environment loads 3000min after the start.Core i7-7700K OCed, GTX1800TI, 16gb ddr4 3200, ssd Samsung evo m2 key with Gb/s througput. I see the same issue, it's the crappy cheap engine,not the HW. Windows of course, that might be the key..

There are hundreds of users on the damn map, with their particles choking the client and your computer. It has to process all of them and the environment too. What do you expect?

@Zeivu.3615 said:

@"Shadow.4792" said:I agree that having a good machine minimize the issue.

There are hundreds of users on the kitten map, with their particles choking the client and your computer. It has to process all of them and the environment too. What do you expect?

I'm not expecting anything from Anet, it's a lost cause. It's not about lag or processing power, it's simply preloading default mount skins until mount has been invoked. As it doesn't happen with char skins, it's absolutely 2min work to fix that spaghetti code.. but we know how Anet likes to fix and optimize the game..That is the reason OP complains that he/she is paying 20€ for that experience.For your information: Everything outside of rendering distance circle and potentially cone of view should not impact own character model and performance. Even in such conditions there should be priority for rendering engine- someone's ugly skin at the other end of the map should never ever get a rendering/processing time and priority over my character. Especially in "special" areas. And on top of that we're not speaking of issues with skin models, we're speaking of WRONG preloading of default skins. There's absolutely zero logic to not preload the proper skins during inter-zone jumping, as it's actually done for char/weapon/glider/etc.

But feel free to look for excuses and be thankful for what you're getting for your money. Some aren't. And some are seeing this game as cheap (and ugly) cash grab.

@Shadow.4792 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Are you using an SSD? An SSD loads much, much faster.

feels like your trying to troll here

How does this feel like a troll?Seeing the base mount is about the game not loading the fancy skin before more important things. If your computer can load faster it will show the mount less often. An SSD makes the game load much faster and as a result would make you see the base mount instead of your fancy skin less often and few fewer seconds.

Because as i've already mention in previous, comments, people with a more than capable machines experience the same issue, and therefor the performance of my computer is not the matter here... and ive said it like 3 times already

Saying it 3 times, or 5 times or even 10 times, doesn't make it true ...

@MachineManXX.9746 said:Saying it 3 times, or 5 times or even 10 times, doesn't make it true ...

You can find more than enough people having the same issue with top of the line computers, but for some reason u choose to ignore it.I'm not the only one having this and u theres even a couple in this post claiming to have the same issue and they're running with a more than capable machine.

@"Derdzvero.7051" said:I'm not expecting anything from Anet, it's a lost cause. It's not about lag or processing power, it's simply preloading default mount skins until mount has been invoked. As it doesn't happen with char skins, it's absolutely 2min work to fix that spaghetti code.. but we know how Anet likes to fix and optimize the game..That is the reason OP complains that he/she is paying 20€ for that experience.For your information: Everything outside of rendering distance circle and potentially cone of view should not impact own character model and performance. Even in such conditions there should be priority for rendering engine- someone's ugly skin at the other end of the map should never ever get a rendering/processing time and priority over my character. Especially in "special" areas. And on top of that we're not speaking of issues with skin models, we're speaking of WRONG preloading of default skins. There's absolutely zero logic to not preload the proper skins during inter-zone jumping, as it's actually done for char/weapon/glider/etc.

But feel free to look for excuses and be thankful for what you're getting for your money. Some aren't. And some are seeing this game as cheap (and ugly) cash grab.

Well said.

Wait...I could be wrong, but I thought they changed it to do that intentionally if it was slow to load the skin as a sort of fix to the mount loading halfway in the ground and being unable to move while loading...?It's really not that big of a deal, I'd rather be able to use the mount with the default skin for a split second than not move at all. And it really only happens when there is a ton of other stuff, like other players, that need to also load when you get to the map.

@"Derdzvero.7051" said:

I'm not expecting anything from Anet, it's a lost cause. It's not about lag or processing power, it's simply preloading default mount skins until mount has been invoked. As it doesn't happen with char skins, it's absolutely 2min work to fix that spaghetti code.. but we know how Anet likes to fix and optimize the game..

It absolutely does happen with character skins, especially in high-density areas. Characters load in as the "default skin", then apply their skins, armors, etc.

@Shadow.4792 said:

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

I agree that having a good machine minimize the issue. my problem is that it shouldn't be the way for us to fix it, i think its fair ask from the developers to create a decent code that doesn't require the majority of the play base to have good computers so that skins will actually load like they should, if my computer can load default skin no reason it wont load the premium skin just as fast , if others games can do it no reason Guild Wars 2 should fall behind.

did you ever have a look at the dat file? It is what? 30gb? You want to put it all into memory? I would be fine with that - but I suspect most people wouldn't.

@Trise.2865 said:

@"Derdzvero.7051" said:

I'm not expecting anything from Anet, it's a lost cause. It's not about lag or processing power, it's simply preloading default mount skins until mount has been invoked. As it doesn't happen with char skins, it's absolutely 2min work to fix that spaghetti code.. but we know how Anet likes to fix and optimize the game..

It absolutely does happen with character skins, especially in high-density areas. Characters load in as the "default skin", then apply their skins, armors, etc.

that is also something happening because of model count. If your model count is too low to show all characters in their fancy particle greatness, some are loaded as default - and only updated if you stare at them for a while, click on them or interact with them.