Download refuses to proceed! Please help!! [Merged]

3 minutes ago, Dashizzit.3861 said:

Hey thanks for the links. It's great that it works. However For a game that has been out this long there shouldn't be issues like this.

I've redownloaded the game only thrice since 2012, and I only had this happen once out of those three times. No idea why this still keeps happening to people, but you can easily circumvent it. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I agree it's embarrassing.  There's workarounds, but that's beside the point.  It's clear there's some sort of Anet-side issue when some of their download servers are returning 0 bytes on files.  What the heck is their operations group doing?

Edited by Chaba.5410

6 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I agree it's embarrassing.  There's workarounds, but that's beside the point.  It's clear there's some sort of Anet-side issue when some of their download servers are returning 0 bytes on files.  What the heck is their operations group doing?

Its a weekend so they're at home with their families. Games generally don't get maintenance during Fri-Sun, as they're not considered an essential service like a bank site or something would be.  They did log in briefly to disable the Catalyst/Weaver bug since it was so bad.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Sad 1

How is this still an issue after several years? Was just considering getting back into GW2 after not playing for at least 8 years but I can't even download the game. I've restarted the launcher at least half a dozen times so far after it just completely stopped downloading, and every time it has resumed the download but it's incredibly frustrating just trying to download and install (still 385k files left after restarting the launcher repeatedly over the past hour or so). Doesn't instill confidence in the ongoing development of the game if downloading it is still broken years after so many people had such issues. It's like it just hits a bad file every now and then and doesn't know how to continue processing the download.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

Its a weekend so they're at home with their families. Games generally don't get maintenance during Fri-Sun, as they're not considered an essential service like a bank site or something would be.  They did log in briefly to disable the Catalyst/Weaver bug since it was so bad.

Yea, so?  This problem didn't start just this weekend. Been going on for almost two weeks, since the SAB patch.

Edited by Chaba.5410

I'm having the same issue. It's really frustrating. I tried following some of these technical workarounds to no effect, but maybe I'm not doing it right. I don't know. Can't support DO SOMETHING???!!! If it's corrupted files, can't support fix them? Seriously,  all I want to do is play the game not try and hack around in my computer for which I don't have the technical chops. I'm not sure I even understand half the workarounds suggested. 

4 hours ago, Sylvarose.6851 said:

Can't support DO SOMETHING???!!! If it's corrupted files, can't support fix them?

There's basically nothing ArenaNet can do. They could purge every server, but there's no guarantee that will fix the problem, as it could just happen again. This is however the first time in ~3 years it has been on this scale, so it would probably fix it for most people.

If you don't want to do anything, just keep restarting GW2. It picks a random nearby IP to download from on launch, and behind every IP is multiple servers, so there's potentially hundreds. Chances are some work, which is why there has always been solutions that don't actually do anything. However, it's also possible that all of them cached from each other, so they could all have the same problem, which will require doing the hosts edit.

If you need to download the full game, use Steam. Steam gets to download a full (but old) copy of Gw2.dat to start with, so it'll avoid most of it.

5 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

There's basically nothing ArenaNet can do. They could purge every server, but there's no guarantee that will fix the problem, as it could just happen again. This is however the first time in ~3 years it has been on this scale, so it would probably fix it for most people.

If you don't want to do anything, just keep restarting GW2. It picks a random nearby IP to download from on launch, and behind every IP is multiple servers, so there's potentially hundreds. Chances are some work, which is why there has always been solutions that don't actually do anything. However, it's also possible that all of them cached from each other, so they could all have the same problem, which will require doing the hosts edit.

If you need to download the full game, use Steam. Steam gets to download a full (but old) copy of Gw2.dat to start with, so it'll avoid most of it.

Thanks. I didn't think Steam was an option for those who bought the game outside of Steam. In any case, I found an old copy on a backup. I copied it over to the new computer. It seems to be working for now. I might try a fresh new install in a week or so. I've been trying to do one several times for the last two days without success. Using the old backup is my first time getting the game to work. 

i gotta say i bought this game at launch never really really played it. Figured why not now.  Cant even download the game tried a bunch of stuff from in here, reddit, etc i cant even get to playable. it downloads for about 1 minute and peters out to 0 kb/s 

and to think i almost purchased the expansions before trying to play it LOL

• Confused 1

What KINDA worked for me is the solution to change the "Target" of the GW2 shortcut to

"<whateverisyourgw2installfolder>\Gw2-64.exe" -assetsrv origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com -patchconnections 20

Got the game downloaded to a playable state, then it crapped out.

But once you play the game it "remembers" the already downloaded files, so it doesn't start over every time. Took about 3 cycles to fully download the game.

After having many random crashes lately it was advised (both official and unofficial sources) to reinstall the game. I wish I hadn't. It took about 8 hours with a lot of forum and reddit reading to finally get it to work.

THIS IS A PUSSYCAT TRAVESTY. IT IS A PURRING KITTEN SHAME. WHOEVER DEVELOPED THIS IS A BIG FELINE.

This is a YEARS-old issue. I wonder how many potential customers Anet lost just they are too cheap to either develop a good content delivery system, or pay for one. I mean hello? It's 2023. Downloading something is the basicest tomcat thing.

• Sad 1