soulbeast pet swap

verskore.4312

Dear Arenanet,

Plz revert the change to prevent pet swap while in combat, I like using 2 pets in combat and srsly though not being able to use 1 pet in combat is just animal abuse and it's just not fair!Also revert the damage nerf on GS4 cus we have no survivability so also nerfing damage makes soulbeast obsolete.

P.S. this comes from a main ranger 17k hours played.

@verskore.4312 said:Dear Arenanet,

Plz revert the change to prevent pet swap while in combat, I like using 2 pets in combat and srsly though not being able to use 1 pet in combat is just animal abuse and it's just not fair!Also revert the damage nerf on GS4 cus we have no survivability so also nerfing damage makes soulbeast obsolete.

F.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/915471#Comment_915471

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:Pet Swap removed.

But Pet Merging now counts as a Pet Swap.

Thats 100% whats gonna happen.

Edit: Forgot lore reason.

Soulbeast need to focus on its pet to gain the ability to merge.

You can only focus on one pet.

I remembered this one.

The dude nailed it.

All I know is that the gameplay for ranger is getting super simplified.

Like... w/e if they want to reduce the depth of gameplay and lower the skill ceiling significantly, they're doing a good job at making this class (and others) feel very one-dimensional.

Removing the ability to pet swap on soulbeast just deletes combo potential, skill rotations, pet management is no longer necessary or important. The same happened by removing the option to Crippling Throw and auto attack evade on GS.

Not to mention the cooldowns on the pet swap traits should get reduced to match the merge timer. Otherwise, it's going to be clunky on top of boring and slow paced.

Just to clarify, I'm not mad it's just weird. I hope it turns out well and the game doesn't just become an autoattacking snoozefest with all of the increased cooldowns. Also, I feel bad for people who enjoyed the fast paced gameplay. The pace of fights are going to go down the drain so idk.

They did the same thing to Druid where they just increased the cooldowns on everything and nerfed damage super hard... Look what happened to it lmao... all you can do is spam 1 until your cooldowns take ages to come back off cooldown. They decided to take the same approach to everything else in the game so ¯\(ツ)

@"shadowpass.4236" said:All I know is that the gameplay for ranger is getting super simplified.

Like... w/e if they want to reduce the depth of gameplay and lower the skill ceiling significantly, they're doing a good job at making this class (and others) feel very one-dimensional.

Removing the ability to pet swap on soulbeast just deletes combo potential, skill rotations, pet management is no longer necessary or important. The same happened by removing the option to Crippling Throw and auto attack evade on GS.

Not to mention the cooldowns on the pet swap traits should get reduced to match the merge timer. Otherwise, it's going to be clunky on top of boring and slow paced.

Just to clarify, I'm not mad it's just weird. I hope it turns out well and the game doesn't just become an autoattacking snoozefest with all of the increased cooldowns. Also, I feel bad for people who enjoyed the fast paced gameplay. The pace of fights are going to go down the drain so idk.

They did the same thing to Druid where they just increased the cooldowns on everything and nerfed damage super hard... Look what happened to it lmao... all you can do is spam 1 until your cooldowns take ages to come back off cooldown. They decided to take the same approach to everything else in the game so ¯\(ツ)

Yeah, there are a lot of people who are stoked for these notes to drop in a patch. I think this is mostly people who are tired of not being to keep up in a high DPS meta. But when all of this actually happens, the over simplification of build structures is going to feel very real on day 1. Then all this hype about "meaningful skill usage and more technical gameplay delivered from the patch" is going to go away, and people are going to receive yet another lesson in: Be careful what you ask for.

I'm not saying the patch is terrible. I actually agree with about 90% of those changes, which I feel is the right direction to go in. But a small portion of the changes are absolutely whack and are going to cause more problems than they help. And we're talking big weird new kinds of problems.

@shadowpass.4236 said:All I know is that the gameplay for ranger is getting super simplified.

My post was a troll cus of that stupid post that ele made but ye I agree with what you say, playing soulbeast now becomes extremely 'simple' and the merge timer problem is indeed stupid.

Still as a ranger main I cant wait for the patch, it'll be interesting to see what'll work and what wont.

@"verskore.4312" said:Dear Arenanet,

Plz revert the change to "throw salt", I like using "throw salt" but now I cant/its useless and srsly though not being able to use "throw salt" is sad and it's just not fair!Also revert the damage nerf "all my mains skills" cus we have no survivability so also nerfing damage makes my main obsolete.

P.S. this comes from a main Legendary God, 30k hours played.

Make it more obvious, as if they cant even read full patch notes beyond their class they wont get it!

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@"shadowpass.4236" said:All I know is that the gameplay for ranger is getting super simplified.

They did the same thing to Druid where they just increased the cooldowns on everything and nerfed damage super hard... Look what happened to it lmao... all you can do is spam 1 until your cooldowns take ages to come back off cooldown. They decided to take the same approach to everything else in the game so ¯\
(ツ)

Yeah, there are a lot of people who are stoked for these notes to drop in a patch. I think this is mostly people who are tired of not being to keep up in a high DPS meta. But when all of this actually happens, the over simplification of build structures is going to feel very real on day 1. Then all this hype about "meaningful skill usage and more technical gameplay delivered from the patch" is going to go away, and people are going to receive yet another lesson in:
Be careful what you ask for.

I'm not saying the patch is terrible. I actually agree with about 90% of those changes, which I feel is the right direction to go in. But a small portion of the changes are absolutely whack and are going to cause more problems than they help. And we're talking big weird new kinds of problems.

This is my issue is as well. The dumbing down of certain (core) aspects of the game, and lowering the skill cap, is going to cost in long-term. Which is why it's always a risk, imo.

I dont know, i keep reading this nosense about “skill celling” for disabling pet swap while in combat, while i think it will deepen the skill complexity to use the soulbeast properly with all those on swap traits triggering when entering or exiting beastmode.

I know all of you 700k hours playing are scared of losing the smoke/bambi combo but you will adapt and find a good pet.

This is coming from a main ranger with actual 5k hours on my belt in wvw. No multi boxing afking in lions arch thou.

• 4 months later...

I get this is a slightly old thread. I got here because I wanted to swap pets while NOT in beastmode. My first ranger I levelled up doing it continuously, and find I can't swap pets like I used to if I equip the soulbeast elite specialization, kinda annoying. Felt like I got nerfed for using the elite spec. I like to switch between ranged and beast mode, ranged got a nerf here for sure and I'm not sure it makes sense, it reduces the sustain of the pet mode a lot, like kills it almost completely. I could solo champions before by switching pets continuously. Yes it took forever for lack of DPS, and it only worked on a few relatively easy champions in Tyria , so it wasn't OP or anything. All that work to get nerfed at lvl 80 was not a pleasant surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

@kurth.3175 said:I get this is a slightly old thread. I got here because I wanted to swap pets while NOT in beastmode. My first ranger I levelled up doing it continuously, and find I can't swap pets like I used to if I equip the soulbeast elite specialization, kinda annoying. Felt like I got nerfed for using the elite spec. I like to switch between ranged and beast mode, ranged got a nerf here for sure and I'm not sure it makes sense, it reduces the sustain of the pet mode a lot, like kills it almost completely. I could solo champions before by switching pets continuously. Yes it took forever for lack of DPS, and it only worked on a few relatively easy champions in Tyria , so it wasn't OP or anything. All that work to get nerfed at lvl 80 was not a pleasant surprise.

I agree. I just hopped back on to play after being gone a while and found this change which really bums me out.. not sure if playing RNG/Soulbeast is fun for me anymore..

• 2 weeks later...

@verskore.4312 said:Dear Arenanet,

Ranger isn't my main....but I enjoyed the class now and again.... What I liked most about soulbeast was the fact it was the only way to 100% put a pet away to kite or pull enemies when needed. But I also love being able to collect all kinds of pets and mix and match them.... RIP Ranger..... RIP Mesmer, RIP Underwater Ele.... RIP PVP.... Anet: The OG Nerf Gods and Trolls

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, need to revisit my post by way of apology, I found the way resurrect dead pets as a soulbeast, no you can't swap, but merging with a dead pet brings it to full health instantly, no cooldown I can see, this is good enough for me to be happy with my ranger again.

• 1 month later...

After having a break of approx 3 years. I come back to an utterly gutted and ruined game, which used to be fast paced and full of action. I was doing ranked PvP today and found out I can't even swap my pet during combat when I'm playing a soulbeast. WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU THINKING @ArenaNet Team.4819 I'm instantly done again with this game and will not purchase the expansion either.1) you let the PvP mode bleed out entirely, it's become super super casual (never was great, but a lot better than it is now)2) you make the game so that everything becomes more boring and slow paced. if you want to have entry-level roles, just make the core builds viable in PvP to stand up against other builds and specializations3) The balance and meta has never been fully understood by ArenaNet. it's like they don't play their own game, they just do things on a whim.

@anduriell.6280 said:I dont know, i keep reading this nosense about “skill celling” for disabling pet swap while in combat, while i think it will deepen the skill complexity to use the soulbeast properly with all those on swap traits triggering when entering or exiting beastmode.

I know all of you 700k hours playing are scared of losing the smoke/bambi combo but you will adapt and find a good pet.

This is coming from a main ranger with actual 5k hours on my belt in wvw. No multi boxing afking in lions arch thou.

i have about 7k hours. There's no such thing as being scared of losing a combo. There's a thing as losing the feel of what a ranger should be like. Talking specifically about PvP here. Where fast paced pet swaps and utilisation of the full set of available skills (including pets) is paramount to success. This is really just a rubbish comment 'deepen the skill complexity'.. It's exactly the opposite. now in WvW it's easier, because you get out of combat a lot more often than in PvP (people are pretty much always in combat range + you want to be able to fight on/around points). So try to broaden your horizon a bit to other game modes. Even in WvW i would get crazy if all of a sudden I lose 4 skills + a pet with commendable skill. That's a reduction of skill complexity of at least 6 moves you could normally make before this ridiculous nerf.

• 1 year later...

I was away from the game when this patch dropped and kept getting frustrated that my pet was bugging out when I tried to swap- I only discovered by accident that it was an intentional change. So first off, this needs to be way better communicated in game, at the very least grey out the pet swap icon in combat and give us some error text.

About the change more broadly... I'm not a fan, but it's not a super big difference compared to previous where you had to drop, swap, then re-merge. I wish, though, that if this is going to stay you'd remove the cooldown out of combat on merge.

2 hours ago, Loopgru.1026 said:

I was away from the game when this patch dropped and kept getting frustrated that my pet was bugging out when I tried to swap- I only discovered by accident that it was an intentional change. So first off, this needs to be way better communicated in game, at the very least grey out the pet swap icon in combat and give us some error text.

About the change more broadly... I'm not a fan, but it's not a super big difference compared to previous where you had to drop, swap, then re-merge. I wish, though, that if this is going to stay you'd remove the cooldown out of combat on merge.

It's actually pretty balanced for Soulbeast. Just feel lucky that is the drawback rather something else. It could have been much worse than no pet swap in combat.