Mounts do not share control paradigm with characters and it is a problem

@Shirlias.8104 said:Actually there are plenty of em.Reading the whole discussion before talk could next time, cause now for you it's late, stop you from making a post like that.

Maybe.

@Fallesafe.5932 said:There's no reason it has to be like driving a Humvee. None.

Arrogance apart, obviously.

Obviously not, but posting such a stamp, well that makes You what?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Faaris.8013 said:Dude, are you using rotate keys instead of strafe? First thing you do when starting any first person game is changing the key binds so the "rotate" keys execute a strafe movement. You turn with the mouse, not with keys.

Maybe that is your preference, not everyone's. The default keybinds for the arrow keys in GW2 is strafing. It messes up anyone used to games where arrows mean turn but I immediately realized that and remapped them.

In fact, that was why my first day picking up one of the competitors as a secondary game was also my last day with that game. The arrow keys were strafe with nothing to rebind keys to do a real turn. You like that as the default? Fine. Just do not declare that is superior (some people on various forums did) and give me no option if I disagree.

It's only a matter of tastes, but it was clear since the beginning.

1. ANET introcudes mounts.
  2. mounts does not share the character's movements, but instead have their own.
  3. some players complain they don't like the way the mounts move.
  4. some players are happy about the way the mounts move.

Why should the discussion shift to "reasons" instead of tastes?Or maybe he fact that some players have issues with commands, while others don't and are happy the way it works, it's for you a reason to modify it?

I don't know what reasons you are looking for, given the context.

@Shirlias.8104 said:It's only a matter of tastes, but it was clear since the beginning.

Why should the discussion shift to "reasons" instead of tastes?Or maybe he fact that some players have issues with commands, while others don't and are happy the way it works, it's for you a reason to modify it?

Honestly I do not think You understand the issue, the way it is now presents a problem for some users. The way it should be would follow the character control, not movement, principles started when GW2 was still in development and would not present a problem to that number of players. Would You drive Your car only in reverse just because the manufacturer has the taste for it?

Every feature in a product should make a product easier to use, more efficient, better if You like, not more to anyone's liking. Does it help when it is put like that?

@Llethander.3972 said:Keyboard turning, as it is called, is sub-optimal in all aspects of every game. It is slow, inaccurate, and laborious.

No, it is not. It is the muscle memory for games many people have which makes it EXTREMELY accurate if your brain is already wired to hit a/f or the arrows. Your experience might be different, fine, use strafe, but would YOU be happy if our positions were reversed and you could not use strafe at all because some dev thought it inaccurate?

@Excellent Name.9574 said:

@Shirlias.8104 said:It's only a matter of tastes, but it was clear since the beginning.

Why should the discussion shift to "reasons" instead of tastes?Or maybe he fact that some players have issues with commands, while others don't
and
are happy the way it works, it's for you a reason to modify it?

Honestly I do not think You understand the issue, the way it is now presents a problem for some users. The way it should be would follow the character control, not movement, principles started when GW2 was still in development and would not present a problem to that number of players. Would You drive Your car only in reverse just because the manufacturer has the taste for it?

Every feature in a product should make a product easier to use, more efficient, better if You like, not more to anyone's liking. Does it help when it is put like that?

Every feature in a product should make a product easier to use, are you seriously that selfish?

Then i give you a tool you don't know how to use, but that when you'll be able to masterate it will simplify your daily routine... but it's not that you can use il 100% easily, since the beginning.

It's like when you pass from a standard old mobile phone to a smartphone.

Will it give you more options and uses? YesWill it semplify your life making thing easier? YesWill it be able to be used 100% since the beginning? No

It seems to me that you feel uncomfortable about new mounts, and i can accept it, but also that you don't try to masterate em, and instead ask them to be changed.I spent many attempt to reach a specify place in hot, and failing cause of my bad skill with mounts, but instead i found that challenging ( also the aggro from mobs, at the beginning was a problem, but then knowing that you could out of combat faster and how to avoid attacks and traps, it became easy ).

And just to be clear, we are talking about completely change how mounts move ( a way that some players like ).

ps: and just to be clear, in the old threads about things like Colorblindless and motion sickness i supported too, even though i fortunately don't suffer from em, all requests from the community. But this one is not related.

I'm not sure I quite understand the OP's complaint. As described:

@Excellent Name.9574 said:Mounts have been made, for some unknown reason, to have different controls over the keyboard while rotating in one place. Instead of rotating like characters, where the rotation key will spin the character 360 degrees in place, for mounts the player is required to switch keys once the revolution reaches 90 degrees or the mounts starts moving in the direction of the bound key. This presents motoric problem as it requires a different key input and makes the movement, compared to characters, illogical and needlessly more complicated.

The problem is especially pronounced on tight spaces(ledges, cliffs,...) where the mount is required to advance like some mastery points, some HP...etc. Please Anet can You explain why there is a difference in the way these two operate in such a different way and if this was just an oversight, fix it ASAP as it subtracts from the positive Mount experience.

To me what it sounds like, is when you're pressing the rotation key, your mount moves instead of rotating? Am I understanding this correctly?

Because I'm not sure I've come across this. I have come across what are certainly bugs (including something similar to what you describe for a period of a few seconds after first mounting and then the issue goes away, meaning the behaviour is unintended, having mounts endlessly rotate in 360 degrees when the rotation key isn't being continuously pressed and something else I can't quite remember), but you seem to be talking about something that's stable behaviour.

Maybe I'm just stupid and not understanding the issue, could you clarify?

it's not a problem, it's an adapting issue.You're not riding an image, you're riding a living being. You need to stop thinking of mounts as a swiftness boost, and start thinking of them more as living creatures who have to turn around a huge body. If they could turn around like statues it would really cut down all the efforts anet put into making them feel alive

@castlemanic.3198 said:I'm not sure I quite understand the OP's complaint. As described:

@Excellent Name.9574 said:Mounts have been made, for some unknown reason, to have different controls over the keyboard while rotating in one place. Instead of rotating like characters, where the rotation key will spin the character 360 degrees in place, for mounts the player is required to switch keys once the revolution reaches 90 degrees or the mounts starts moving in the direction of the bound key. This presents motoric problem as it requires a different key input and makes the movement, compared to characters, illogical and needlessly more complicated.

The problem is especially pronounced on tight spaces(ledges, cliffs,...) where the mount is required to advance like some mastery points, some HP...etc. Please Anet can You explain why there is a difference in the way these two operate in such a different way and if this was just an oversight, fix it ASAP as it subtracts from the positive Mount experience.

To me what it sounds like, is when you're pressing the rotation key, your mount moves instead of rotating? Am I understanding this correctly?

Because I'm not sure I've come across this. I have come across what are certainly bugs (including something similar to what you describe for a period of a few seconds after first mounting and then the issue goes away, meaning the behaviour is unintended, having mounts endlessly rotate in 360 degrees when the rotation key isn't being continuously pressed and something else I can't quite remember), but you seem to be talking about something that's stable behaviour.

Maybe I'm just stupid and not understanding the issue, could you clarify?

Sure why not.

Use either A or D key to rotate Your character, then mount up and use either A or D key to rotate Your character while mounted. The difference is that character without a mount will spin 360 degrees for as long as You like, but with your character on mount it will spin up to the 0/180 degrees and then move in the direction of either A or D key. This means that You need to actively switch to AWSD during the turn unlike with the solo character.This breaks muscle memory and it makes the mount control unnecessarily awkward. There is no benefit of mounts behaving this way when responding to controls, unless we assume that mounts are incapable of spinning, which is not the case.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:it's not a problem, it's an adapting issue.You're not riding an image, you're riding a living being. You need to stop thinking of mounts as a swiftness boost, and start thinking of them more as living creatures who have to turn around a huge body. If they could turn around like statues it would really cut down all the efforts anet put into making them feel alive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNfOhlPbdbU

As You can see these are spinning in one place and not looking like statues. I am not proposing for mounts to spin like vases.

@Shirlias.8104 said:

Why should the discussion shift to "reasons" instead of tastes?Or maybe he fact that some players have issues with commands, while others don't
and
are happy the way it works, it's for you a reason to modify it?

Every feature in a product should make a product easier to use, are you seriously that selfish?

Then i give you a tool you don't know how to use, but that when you'll be able to masterate it will simplify your daily routine... but it's not that you can use il 100% easily, since the beginning.

It's like when you pass from a standard old mobile phone to a smartphone.

Will it give you more options and uses? YesWill it semplify your life making thing easier? YesWill it be able to be used 100% since the beginning? No

It seems to me that you feel uncomfortable about new mounts, and i can accept it, but also that you don't try to masterate em, and instead ask them to be changed.I spent many attempt to reach a specify place in hot, and failing cause of my bad skill with mounts, but instead i found that challenging ( also the aggro from mobs, at the beginning was a problem, but then knowing that you could out of combat faster and how to avoid attacks and traps, it became easy ).

And just to be clear, we are talking about completely change how mounts move ( a way that some players like ).

ps: and just to be clear, in the old threads about things like Colorblindless and motion sickness i supported too, even though i fortunately don't suffer from em, all requests from the community. But this one is not related.

You are still not getting what the issue is. It is not the mount movement, it is the control, the control man. If Anet made for me to choose the way for them to spin, this post would never been posted. I have neither motion sickness, nor dizziness coming from riding a mount, nor do I have a problem with inertia. This breaks character controls logically.

@"Excellent Name.9574" said:You are still not getting what the issue is. It is not the mount movement, it is the control, the control man. If Anet made for me to choose the way for them to spin, this post would never been posted. I have neither motion sickness, nor dizziness coming from riding a mount, nor do I have a problem with inertia. This breaks character controls logically.

The part about the sickness and colorblindness was an extra to let you know that i am up to agree when it comes to real problems.About spin we do simply have different opinions.

What i was trying to understand is what motivation where you searching from players who accept the current system ( or enjoy it, or even if not easy as they would, accept its difficulty ), cause seems that you were looking for something like "i get that you like the current system, but unless you provide me a valid reason, the current system should change and be fixed as say".

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@"Excellent Name.9574" said:You are still not getting what the issue is. It is not the mount movement, it is the control, the control man. If Anet made for me to choose the way for them to spin, this post would never been posted. I have neither motion sickness, nor dizziness coming from riding a mount, nor do I have a problem with inertia. This breaks character controls logically.

The part about the sickness and colorblindness was an extra to let you know that i am up to agree when it comes to real problems.About spin we do simply have different opinions.

What i was trying to understand is what motivation where you searching from players who accept the current system ( or enjoy it, or even if not easy as they would, accept its difficulty ), cause seems that you were looking for something like "i get that you like the current system, but unless you provide me a valid reason, the current system should change and be fixed as say".

What exactly are You enjoying when You are rotating your mount with A or D?

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@Excellent Name.9574 said:You are still not getting what the issue is. It is not the mount movement, it is the control, the control man. If Anet made for me to choose the way for them to spin, this post would never been posted. I have neither motion sickness, nor dizziness coming from riding a mount, nor do I have a problem with inertia. This breaks character controls logically.

Personally, i enjoy the fact that the mount does not feel like my character.I don't know the english term for this, but the fact that is not smoothly does contribute to the feeling.

@Shirlias.8104 said:It's not a problem, it's one of the reasons i like mounts.As many things, you simply have to learn how to deal with em.

So you actively prefer that the mounts have different movement keys from unmounted? Why would you prefer to press different keys to move while mounted?

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@Excellent Name.9574 said:You are still not getting what the issue is. It is not the mount movement, it is the control, the control man. If Anet made for me to choose the way for them to spin, this post would never been posted. I have neither motion sickness, nor dizziness coming from riding a mount, nor do I have a problem with inertia. This breaks character controls logically.

Personally, i enjoy the fact that the mount does not feel like my character.I don't know the english term for this, but the fact that is
not smoothly
does contribute to the feeling.

Cool, if You like that feeling. I can't argue with that. I am on the total opposite of that, I like things to go smoothly, no frustration included :) but perhaps that is just me.

@Faaris.8013 said:Dude, are you using rotate keys instead of strafe? First thing you do when starting any first person game is changing the key binds so the "rotate" keys execute a strafe movement. You turn with the mouse, not with keys.

You mean the "first thing you do when starting any first person game is changing the key binds so the "rotate" keys execute a strafe movement." I certainly didn't.

@Excellent Name.9574 said:Sure why not.

Use either A or D key to rotate Your character, then mount up and use either A or D key to rotate Your character while mounted. The difference is that character without a mount will spin 360 degrees for as long as You like, but with your character on mount it will spin up to the 0/180 degrees and then move in the direction of either A or D key. This means that You need to actively switch to AWSD during the turn unlike with the solo character.This breaks muscle memory and it makes the mount control unnecessarily awkward. There is no benefit of mounts behaving this way when responding to controls, unless we assume that mounts are incapable of spinning, which is not the case.

I'm not having that issue. When I press my A or D keys, my mount spins endlessly in 360 degrees just as my character would, and I play primarily with A and D keys as turning since I don't always have a mouse available with me.

Maybe report it in the bugs forum, because that behaviour doesn't seem universal. (Speaking of I should probably head there and mention the bugs I've come across)

@Llethander.3972 said:Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you use the keyboard to turn. I would suggest, instead, trying to use the camera to turn and rebinding both "A" and "D" to "Strafe left" and "Strafe right" respectively instead. Once you get used to playing with that slight change you might find that things work far better.

Keyboard turning, as it is called, is sub-optimal in all aspects of every game. It is slow, inaccurate, and laborious.

Why are you turning this into telling someone else how to play?

@Excellent Name.9574 said:Cool, if You like that feeling. I can't argue with that. I am on the total opposite of that, I like things to go smoothly, no frustration included :) but perhaps that is just me.

It's not just you, as you have read in the thread.There are some who agrees with you and some who doesn't.

The question is, since ( i guess ) there's no way to satisfy both parts... should they change it or should they leave it as it it?

@Healix.5819 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:I don't know how you do it with horses, but in game, you need to back up the mount wile using left and right turn controls.

You can turn a mount in place by rotating the camera while holding either turn or strafe. As long as the camera isn't pointed in the direction the mount is travelling, it'll continue to turn.

Wow, and people are saying this isn't unnecessarily complicated...LOL

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@"Excellent Name.9574" said:Cool, if You like that feeling. I can't argue with that. I am on the total opposite of that, I like things to go smoothly, no frustration included :) but perhaps that is just me.

It's not just you, as you have read in the thread.There are some who agrees with you and some who doesn't.

The question is, since ( i guess ) there's no way to satisfy both parts... should they change it or should they leave it as it it?

There is always a solution that will benefit both sides. A tick box with "Use same movement controls for mount"

@castlemanic.3198 said:

I'm not having that issue. When I press my A or D keys, my mount spins endlessly in 360 degrees just as my character would, and I play primarily with A and D keys as turning since I don't always have a mouse available with me.

Maybe report it in the bugs forum, because that behaviour doesn't seem universal. (Speaking of I should probably head there and mention the bugs I've come across)

It could be a bug, i just never thought about it as it seemed to be consistent. However I have been testing it for the past -10 minutes on ledgese specifically and it does not trigger every time, only most of it. Perhaps the camera locks itself once there is a chance of clipping and instead of movement following the key direction it starts following the mount direction. No idea, if true it presents a number of harder to fix issues within the game engine.

@castlemanic.3198 said:

It could be a bug, i just never thought about it as it seemed to be consistent. However I have been testing it for the past -10 minutes on ledgese specifically and it does not trigger every time, only most of it. Perhaps the camera locks itself once there is a chance of clipping and instead of movement following the key direction it starts following the mount direction. No idea, if true it presents a number of harder to fix issues within the game engine.

I doubt the issue is about the camera, since the very behaviour of the keys themselves change, which seems to be something unrelated, and considering i've come across a similar issue with the rotation keys temporarily acting as strafing keys immediately after mounting and the behaviour then reverts to normal after a few seconds (not 100% of the time happening as well), it seems that mounts themselves have an issue about calling which function to use, that somehow varies by account.

Archived