Mounts do not share control paradigm with characters and it is a problem

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Excellent Name.9574 said:

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@Excellent Name.9574 said:Cool, if You like that feeling. I can't argue with that. I am on the total opposite of that, I like things to go smoothly, no frustration included :) but perhaps that is just me.

It's not just you, as you have read in the thread.There are some who agrees with you and some who doesn't.

The question is, since ( i guess ) there's no way to satisfy both parts... should they change it or should they leave it as it it?

There is always a solution that will benefit both sides. A tick box with "Use same movement controls for mount"

Of course, all the people who claim to love the awkward turning would eventually click that tick-box too. Believe it.

The mount controls feel natural and add a layer of depth that is sorely lacking in other game's mount systems. The controls add immensely to the enjoyment of the system.

You should not expect to have fine motor control over an animal, and attempting to perform precision actions while mounted SHOULD carry a burden of higher difficulty.

@mtpelion.4562 said:The mount controls feel natural and add a layer of depth that is sorely lacking in other game's mount systems. The controls add immensely to the enjoyment of the system.

You should not expect to have fine motor control over an animal, and attempting to perform precision actions while mounted SHOULD carry a burden of higher difficulty.

Right... And we should all get arthritis too, and have our endurance bars decrease faster the longer we play. Because nothing makes a game fun like slavish conformity to RL.

But, of course, your point is absolutely moot since animals are FAR more nimble than we are. And skilled riders can easily turn in place (somebody even posted a video for God's sake).

@castlemanic.3198 said:

@Excellent Name.9574 said:Sure why not.

Use either A or D key to rotate Your character, then mount up and use either A or D key to rotate Your character while mounted. The difference is that character without a mount will spin 360 degrees for as long as You like, but with your character on mount it will spin up to the 0/180 degrees and then move in the direction of either A or D key. This means that You need to actively switch to AWSD during the turn unlike with the solo character.This breaks muscle memory and it makes the mount control unnecessarily awkward. There is no benefit of mounts behaving this way when responding to controls, unless we assume that mounts are incapable of spinning, which is not the case.

I'm not having that issue. When I press my A or D keys, my mount spins endlessly in 360 degrees just as my character would, and I play primarily with A and D keys as turning since I don't always have a mouse available with me.

Maybe report it in the bugs forum, because that behaviour doesn't seem universal. (Speaking of I should probably head there and mention the bugs I've come across)

It could be a bug, i just never thought about it as it seemed to be consistent. However I have been testing it for the past -10 minutes on ledgese specifically and it does not trigger every time, only most of it. Perhaps the camera locks itself once there is a chance of clipping and instead of movement following the key direction it starts following the mount direction. No idea, if true it presents a number of harder to fix issues within the game engine.

I've had this as well. Most of the time, pressing A or D (my strafe keys) will make the mount spin in place like you would expect. Sometimes however, it will run off in the direction, like you wrote in your post. I'm not sure yet how I can duplicate this, will try a bit more. Also, this 'bug' or 'feature' will sometimes work so that when you expect to turn your mount in a specific direction, it will instead spin in the reverse direction.Something seems to be up with the controls, and that has nothing to do with whatever some people deem appropriate controls or not.

Honestly I'm not sure right now that you aren't experiencing a really weird bug, cuz I just logged into game to try to replicate what you describe to no effect. I can in fact use my left and right keys to spin on a mount a full 360% and continue in that same direction of rotation as long as I hold the key. Is it possible that your right mouse button is sticking?

@Necrotic.7820 said:Honestly I'm not sure right now that you aren't experiencing a really weird bug, cuz I just logged into game to try to replicate what you describe to no effect. I can in fact use my left and right keys to spin on a mount a full 360% and continue in that same direction of rotation as long as I hold the key. Is it possible that your right mouse button is sticking?

I don't think so, since I never notice it anywhere else, but I can't know for sure. Will try some more.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Llethander.3972 said:Keyboard turning, as it is called, is sub-optimal in all aspects of every game. It is slow, inaccurate, and laborious.

No, it is not. It is the muscle memory for games many people have which makes it EXTREMELY accurate if your brain is already wired to hit a/f or the arrows. Your experience might be different, fine, use strafe, but would YOU be happy if our positions were reversed and you could not use strafe at all because some dev thought it inaccurate?

Yes, it is. Keyboard turning is statistically inferior to turning using your mouse. It's the same reason that mouse aiming is statistically superior to controller aiming. The mouse is significantly faster while offering a higher level of pinpoint precision when compared to either alternative method I described. Would I be okay with being unable to mouse turn and use strafe? No, because keyboard turning is less efficient and, in an action-based game like Guild Wars 2, being able to react quickly to avoid telegraphs is vitally important when you consider that getting hit by a large-scale telegraph is almost guaranteed to one-shot you. As that is the case your role -reversal comparison doesn't really hold water.

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Llethander.3972 said:Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you use the keyboard to turn. I would suggest, instead, trying to use the camera to turn and rebinding both "A" and "D" to "Strafe left" and "Strafe right" respectively instead. Once you get used to playing with that slight change you might find that things work far better.

Keyboard turning, as it is called, is sub-optimal in all aspects of every game. It is slow, inaccurate, and laborious.

Why are you turning this into telling someone else how to play?

I was offering a recommendation and backing it up with fact. Got a problem with that?

@Shirlias.8104 said:That's new to me.Is there any related data?

It's more the anecdote of the same problem (key rotation turning into strafing on mounts) occurring with two different accounts in two different ways, with me it's right after mounting, with the OP it's mostly on ledges.

I could have been clearer so forgive me for that.

@Llethander.3972 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Llethander.3972 said:Keyboard turning, as it is called, is sub-optimal in all aspects of every game. It is slow, inaccurate, and laborious.

No, it is not. It is the muscle memory for games many people have which makes it EXTREMELY accurate if your brain is already wired to hit a/f or the arrows. Your experience might be different, fine, use strafe, but would YOU be happy if our positions were reversed and you could not use strafe at all because some dev thought it inaccurate?

Yes, it is. Keyboard turning is statistically inferior to turning using your mouse. It's the same reason that mouse aiming is statistically superior to controller aiming. The mouse is significantly faster while offering a higher level of pinpoint precision when compared to either alternative method I described.

Yep, mouse turning is better and faster than keyboard turning.

Enigmious’ guide to mobility demonstrates why in the first part of this video.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Llethander.3972 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

Yes, it is. Keyboard turning is statistically inferior to turning using your mouse. It's the same reason that mouse aiming is statistically superior to controller aiming. The mouse is significantly faster while offering a higher level of pinpoint precision when compared to either alternative method I described.

Which is better is not an issue here, it simply helps avoiding the problem, not solves it. That said not everyone finds keyboard rotating comfortable and vice versa. The issue here, if it is not a bug, is inconsistency in approach to control for no real reason.

I would love to give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but honestly, the way I see it is if he chooses to use the keyboard to steer his mount rather than a mouse, then the problem lies with him just making life more difficult for himself. Yes, sure, they're the controls Anet provided. Theoretically, you could play the entire game using a keyboard to control your character (because you'd still need to click on items, and menus and stuff) but that would clearly be ridiculous, and going against what any reasonable person would do and expect of the game. Just 'cause something is possible doesn't make it a good choice. Another example: playing the entire game naked, and then complaining that it's too hard.

@Llethander.3972 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

Which is better is not an issue here, it simply helps avoiding the problem, not solves it. That said not everyone finds keyboard rotating comfortable and vice versa. The issue here, if it is not a bug, is inconsistency in approach to control for no real reason.

Maybe. However when I want to turn the mount around from a standing position I turn the camera in the direction I want to go and hit W (for move forward). The mount turns till it’s facing the direction the camera is pointing towards, then starts running if I don’t lift my finger off W. Are you using WASD to move, or equivalent? For me with WASD and mouse turning there is no inconsistency in approach to control as both my char and the mount do the same. It’s only inconsistent if you use the old system of keyboard turning.

@OGDeadHead.8326 said:

@castlemanic.3198 said:

@Excellent Name.9574 said:Sure why not.

Use either A or D key to rotate Your character, then mount up and use either A or D key to rotate Your character while mounted. The difference is that character without a mount will spin 360 degrees for as long as You like, but with your character on mount it will spin up to the 0/180 degrees and then move in the direction of either A or D key. This means that You need to actively switch to AWSD during the turn unlike with the solo character.This breaks muscle memory and it makes the mount control unnecessarily awkward. There is no benefit of mounts behaving this way when responding to controls, unless we assume that mounts are incapable of spinning, which is not the case.

I'm not having that issue. When I press my A or D keys, my mount spins endlessly in 360 degrees just as my character would, and I play primarily with A and D keys as turning since I don't always have a mouse available with me.

Maybe report it in the bugs forum, because that behaviour doesn't seem universal. (Speaking of I should probably head there and mention the bugs I've come across)

It could be a bug, i just never thought about it as it seemed to be consistent. However I have been testing it for the past -10 minutes on ledgese specifically and it does not trigger every time, only most of it. Perhaps the camera locks itself once there is a chance of clipping and instead of movement following the key direction it starts following the mount direction. No idea, if true it presents a number of harder to fix issues within the game engine.

I've had this as well. Most of the time, pressing A or D (my strafe keys) will make the mount spin in place like you would expect. Sometimes however, it will run off in the direction, like you wrote in your post. I'm not sure yet how I can duplicate this, will try a bit more. Also, this 'bug' or 'feature' will sometimes work so that when you expect to turn your mount in a specific direction, it will instead spin in the reverse direction.Something seems to be up with the controls, and that has nothing to do with whatever some people deem appropriate controls or not.

This happens with me as well. Sometimes I'm pressing the key to turn left and instead the mount turns right. Very annoying.

@Llethander.3972 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

Maybe. However when I want to turn the mount around from a standing position I turn the camera in the direction I want to go and hit W (for move forward). The mount turns till it’s facing the direction the camera is pointing towards, then starts running if I don’t lift my finger off W. Are you using WASD to move, or equivalent? For me with WASD and mouse turning there is no inconsistency in approach to control as both my char and the mount do the same. It’s only inconsistent if you use the old system of keyboard turning.

That's a very interesting way of doing it - but I just want to press one key when I turn, not first turn the camera and then press another key. Without the mount if I press A my character turns left no matter where the camera is looking.

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:Maybe. However when I want to turn the mount around from a standing position I turn the camera in the direction I want to go and hit W (for move forward). The mount turns till it’s facing the direction the camera is pointing towards, then starts running if I don’t lift my finger off W. Are you using WASD to move, or equivalent? For me with WASD and mouse turning there is no inconsistency in approach to control as both my char and the mount do the same. It’s only inconsistent if you use the old system of keyboard turning.

Adding to this, the issue of "mount movement on ledges" tends to be more of an issue specific to the Springer, though admittedly not always, as it is the most likely candidate to use on a ledge. When using the Springer, if you begin to charge your jump you can rotate your mount in any direction you wish without having to worry about movement-based complications as the Springer is rooted in place while the jump thus removing the risk of walking off the edge.

@Frenzify.6832 said:I would love to give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but honestly, the way I see it is if he chooses to use the keyboard to steer his mount rather than a mouse, then the problem lies with him just making life more difficult for himself. Yes, sure, they're the controls Anet provided. Theoretically, you could play the entire game using a keyboard to control your character (because you'd still need to click on items, and menus and stuff) but that would clearly be ridiculous, and going against what any reasonable person would do and expect of the game. Just 'cause something is possible doesn't make it a good choice. Another example: playing the entire game naked, and then complaining that it's too hard.

What the kitten?

My 'thing' happens to be accessibility. Summed up, it means you should be able to use other input/output methods. Is another method faster? Maybe. That does NOT mean you take away the ability for an alternative in your code though.

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@"Excellent Name.9574" said:Cool, if You like that feeling. I can't argue with that. I am on the total opposite of that, I like things to go smoothly, no frustration included :) but perhaps that is just me.

It's not just you, as you have read in the thread.There are some who agrees with you and some who doesn't.

The question is, since ( i guess ) there's no way to satisfy both parts... should they change it or should they leave it as it it?

They can by adding the option in settings."There's no way" is not an excuse.

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Llethander.3972 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

That's a very interesting way of doing it - but I just want to press one key when I turn, not first turn the camera and then press another key. Without the mount if I press A my character turns left no matter where the camera is looking.

Hmmmm, not really. With mouse/keys movement it is the natural and one key way to move. You look in the direction you want to go and then hit the key to start moving. It’s very fluid, unlike keyboard turning where you hold the arrow key while you slowly turn then use another key to move forward.

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Llethander.3972 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

Hmmmm, not really. With mouse/keys movement it is the natural and one key way to move. You look in the direction you want to go and then hit the key to start moving. It’s very fluid, unlike keyboard turning where you hold the arrow key while you slowly turn then use another key to move forward.

Just clarifying: are you trying to tell me what is natural for me? I'm sure you aren't so I'm not sure what to make of your statement. You are also assuming that I want to move somewhere instead of just wanting to turn.

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Llethander.3972 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

We all have our preferences and while I usually use right mouse button+direction keys to move around, on these specific tasks I use just the turn key as it gives me better overview and it avoids accidental micro movements that happen from time to time and are unimportant when You are grounded or have room to spare.

The other part of Your post is where the problem lies, when You are unmounted no matter which side Your character is looking at or is turned to, the moment You use forward key he or she start moving in the direction of Your camera view and that is not the case with the mounts as you press the forward the mount will follow his orientation trajectory, not camera's.

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Llethander.3972 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

Just clarifying: are you trying to tell me what is natural for me? I'm sure you aren't so I'm not sure what to make of your statement. You are also assuming that I want to move somewhere instead of just wanting to turn.

You sound like you’re looking to take offense. I was trying to describe how it works and I was saying that once you get used to mouse/key movement, using mouse to look and key to move/turn feels fluid and natural (as opposed to artificial).

If you don’t want to move you lift your finger from W when you’re facing the direction you want to be in after turning.

@Llethander.3972 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

The word "better" is highly subjective. That is like saying race x in the game is better than race y while they have no effect on gameplay beyond the size of the model.

As to faster? It really depends what you are used to. Take an audible web browser. Someone not used to one thinks they are extremely slow. Now have a blind person use one on a well-designed website and you will see how fast they can be used.

@"Excellent Name.9574" said:Mounts have been made, for some unknown reason, to have different controls over the keyboard while rotating in one place. Instead of rotating like characters, where the rotation key will spin the character 360 degrees in place, for mounts the player is required to switch keys once the revolution reaches 90 degrees or the mounts starts moving in the direction of the bound key. This presents motoric problem as it requires a different key input and makes the movement, compared to characters, illogical and needlessly more complicated.

The problem is especially pronounced on tight spaces(ledges, cliffs,...) where the mount is required to advance like some mastery points, some HP...etc. Please Anet can You explain why there is a difference in the way these two operate in such a different way and if this was just an oversight, fix it ASAP as it subtracts from the positive Mount experience.

I have yet to experience a single ledge or cliff that the mounts can not navigate well because "tightness" of the said cliff or ledge.

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Llethander.3972 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

You sound like you’re looking to take offense. I was trying to describe how it works and I was saying that once you get used to mouse/key movement, using mouse to look and key to move/turn feels fluid and natural (as opposed to artificial).

If you don’t want to move you lift your finger from W when you’re facing the direction you want to be in after turning.

No, if I was looking to take offense I would have done so and wouldn't have bothered saying that I was sure you weren't trying to dictate. But yet again in this post you tell me that if I only got used to doing it your way it would feel natural, instead of just doing it my way.

The issue as described in the OP is that when we press the WASD keys unmounted our character turns immediately in those directions. If we press the same keys while mounted, we sometimes experience other behaviors. I, at least, am not asking for a tutorial on how to move but objecting to this discrepancy.

Archived