Versatile end-game class

Hi forum!

This is my first post here and I'm looking for some advice before I invest my time and effort to main a class. I have multiple level 80 characters at the moment: Mesmer, Thief, Warrior, and Guardian. I didn't play for about two years and decided to give it another shot!

I am considering:

• Guardian
  • Mesmer
  • Ranger
  • Necromancer
  • Revenant

The main question I have is which class is most versatile/active in play style in end-game content (i.e fractals/raids/open world). To give a bit of context what I mean by versatile/active play style. I really like the thief class, but I don't like the current play style for end-game content (fractals/raids) with spamming staff auto-attack (correct me if I'm wrong). In my opinion this is a very 'static' play style, not much to consider when playing, just know the content mechanics and deal damage. The same holds for warrior (this is not to bash on the class or anything, I love warrior, I just don't like the current play style in end-game content). So, to put things simple, which classes are a bit more active in play style, while having options to run more than one build?

Many thanks for your input!

I think most builds rely on your autoattack sequence to do a large chunk of damage or something else important and no matter what your build is there will be times when you're just running around and letting your auto attack do its thing.

That said, I've personally played Ranger and Necromancer on that list.

• Necro Scourge builds tend to have more active button pushing than the Reaper builds and it gravitates towards condi damage or boon support. Reaper is very strong power dps while you do have to be familiar with more skills overall when you go into shroud you can only use 5 skills.
  • Only Soulbeast Ranger it seemed like I had slightly less button pushing than my necro scourge but way more than my reaper. Never played a Druid and I hear they are must-haves for raids and strike missions.

It felt like I had 100x more buttons to push playing my elementalist. 1 weapon but 4 elements and 20 weapon skills total and you really end up using all of them.

@Stephen.4165 said:In my opinion this is a very 'static' play style, not much to consider when playing, just know the content mechanics and deal damage. The same holds for warrior (this is not to bash on the class or anything, I love warrior, I just don't like the current play style in end-game content). So, to put things simple, which classes are a bit more active in play style, while having options to run more than one build?

A large part of that problem is due to encounter design not the classes. The other part is how players have chosen to optimize their completion of these encounters.

The only times these encounters become more actively involved is when doing it with the challenge motes active, solo/less than full party, doing it with people lower skill players or generally unfamiliar with the content.

There was a time when condi engi required about 10x as much button pressing as others while giving results on par with other classes. That just made it a very mediocre class.

@Stephen.4165 said:Hi forum!

This is my first post here and I'm looking for some advice before I invest my time and effort to main a class. I have multiple level 80 characters at the moment: Mesmer, Thief, Warrior, and Guardian. I didn't play for about two years and decided to give it another shot!

I am considering:

• Guardian
  • Mesmer
  • Ranger
  • Necromancer
  • Revenant

The main question I have is which class is most versatile/active in play style in end-game content (i.e fractals/raids/open world). To give a bit of context what I mean by versatile/active play style. I really like the thief class, but I don't like the current play style for end-game content (fractals/raids) with spamming staff auto-attack (correct me if I'm wrong). In my opinion this is a very 'static' play style, not much to consider when playing, just know the content mechanics and deal damage. The same holds for warrior (this is not to bash on the class or anything, I love warrior, I just don't like the current play style in end-game content). So, to put things simple, which classes are a bit more active in play style, while having options to run more than one build?

Many thanks for your input!

Try the guardian, they have quite a few builds going for them. Power dps with core or dragonhunter, condi dps with firebrand, quickness firebrand, healing firebrand.