Making dungeon items sellable

Lambent.6375

Speed runners and farmers get another path to make some gold, folks lacking a regular dungeon group (and at this stage of the game dungeons aren't as popular as they once were) get a way to snag some wanted skins. Seems like a win/win to me, but I expect others would find ways to complain.

I would be against it ,selling these items does not improve the social structure of the game as ppl would prefer to buy them of the TP than group with others to get them

Dungeon are not hard pplYou could do them yellow/ green gearPpl with exotics could solo themAsceneded is just over kill

Use the lfg tool or even make your own group

In stead, lets cut out the middle man and just add a buyable "Pristine" version of the token that is a tradable item. So, spend 120 tokens, get a "pristine" token you can trade. When consumed it grants 100 tokens to the one that consumes it.

This way people who actually still want to play dungeons can make some cash off of people who don't, and people who don't can get whatever they want off the vendor.

@Lambent.6375 said:How would the community feel if the added non account bound versions of dungeon items, that cost more tokens, but can be listed on the TP?

Weapons, armors, gifts.

Why? People who run dungeons already have decent ways to monetize tokens and I question whether it's good for the community to offer the dungeon-prestige skins for gold alone. At least with PvP/WvW reward, you still have to commit to the specific dungeon's track; with the OP's proposal, you wouldn't have to make any sort of commitment at all.

The obligation remains with the OP to justify how this would be better for the game overall than the current system.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:The obligation remains with the OP to justify how this would be better for the game overall than the current system.

I would submit that the proliferation of DPS meters and speed-run culture are all the justification needed. I didn't get to dungeoning when they were new and people were forgiving, so now I'm essentially frozen out of any PUG, since no one will want to carry the noob* who needs instructions still. So an alternative path would be appreciated.

*Not new to the game, been here since beta, and not entirely new to 5 man content in the game, I ran the fractals a bit when they were new (and thus people were forgiving,) but now that dungeons are so old it's a case of 'know this inside out or get lost.'

@Erulogos.2591 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:The obligation remains with the OP to justify how this would be better for the game overall than the current system.

I would submit that the proliferation of DPS meters and speed-run culture are all the justification needed. I didn't get to dungeoning when they were new and people were forgiving, so now I'm essentially frozen out of any PUG, since no one will want to carry the noob* who needs instructions still. So an alternative path would be appreciated.

*Not new to the game, been here since beta, and not entirely new to 5 man content in the game, I ran the fractals a bit when they were new (and thus people were forgiving,) but now that dungeons are so old it's a case of 'know this inside out or get lost.'

I'm in the same boat. I've been playing since beta, but never got around to finishing Arah in its heyday. Finding a group to finish Dungeon Master is downright impossible now.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Lambent.6375 said:How would the community feel if the added non account bound versions of dungeon items, that cost more tokens, but can be listed on the TP?

Weapons, armors, gifts.

Why? People who run dungeons already have decent ways to monetize tokens and I question whether it's good for the community to offer the dungeon-prestige skins for gold alone. At least with PvP/WvW reward, you still have to commit to the specific dungeon's track; with the OP's proposal, you wouldn't have to make any sort of commitment at all.

The obligation remains with the OP to justify how this would be better for the game overall than the current system.

Whether it would be good for the community would depend on how many people would be against people being able to buy dungeon tokens with gold compared to the amount of people who would benefit from it. In an ideal situation, people who run dungeons will be able to make more gold selling tokens to others than they would previous methods

As far as dungeon skins and prestige go, not very many people use dungeon skins anymore, aside from a certain handful, and if they do, they don't standout very muchThere are already too many ways to get dungeon skins unlocked (yes, I know this well make it worse) No one is going "Kitten, that's a greatsword from Arah" Like they are probably going "Kitten, that's a gold fractal longsword." Dungeon selling was a big thing not too long ago. I'd say after the first couple weeks it will go unnoticed after the handful of people obtain the skins they want, and Finish "showing off" in LA.

So you know what I have to gain from this: Yes, I would use gold to unlock a certain handful of dungeon skins.

I thought the biggest issue people would have was being able to use gold to buy Gifts. (well, I guess you can already buy the stuff they are used to make)

@Lambent.6375 said:

Weapons, armors, gifts.

Whether it would be good for the community would depend on how many people would be against people being able to buy dungeon tokens with gold compared to the amount of people who would benefit from it. In an ideal situation, people who run dungeons will be able to make more gold selling tokens to others than they would previous methods

As far as dungeon skins and prestige go, not very many people use dungeon skins anymore, aside from a certain handful, and if they do, they don't standout very muchThere are already too many ways to get dungeon skins unlocked (yes, I know this well make it worse) No one is going "Kitten, that's a greatsword from Arah" Like they are probably going "Kitten, that's a gold fractal longsword." Dungeon selling was a big thing not too long ago. I'd say after the first couple weeks it will go unnoticed after the handful of people obtain the skins they want, and Finish "showing off" in LA.

So you know what I have to gain from this: Yes, I would use gold to unlock a certain handful of dungeon skins.

I thought the biggest issue people would have was being able to use gold to buy Gifts. (well, I guess you can already buy the stuff they are used to make)

Making dungeon skins available for gold isn't "free" to the community; there should be a really solid reason how this benefits more people more substantially to justify the change. All the reasons you've listed are personal: you expect that those who got the skins through existing methods should be okay with your interest in avoiding those methods. The fact that you personally don't notice "that's a greatsword from Arah" doesn't mean that others don't.

ANet's design principles for rewards includes the idea that some things can be acquired with gold, some can only be required by participation at the right time & right place, and some require perseverance (what some call "grinding"). If we are to accept that, then what makes dungeon skins a reasonable candidate for investing any dev time into changing the reward structure? And if we don't accept that design choice, why not offer a gold acquisition method for every skin older than 2-3 years?

tl;dr the OP is still asking for a substantive change without there being a substantive reason other than "because some of us don't like the existing acquisition methods."

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Lambent.6375 said:

Weapons, armors, gifts.

Making dungeon skins available for gold isn't "free" to the community; there should be a really solid reason how this benefits more people more substantially to justify the change. All the reasons you've listed are personal: you expect that those who got the skins through existing methods should be okay with your interest in avoiding those methods. The fact that you personally don't notice "that's a greatsword from Arah" doesn't mean that others don't.

ANet's design principles for rewards includes the idea that some things can be acquired with gold, some can only be required by participation at the right time & right place, and some require perseverance (what some call "grinding"). If we are to accept that, then what makes dungeon skins a reasonable candidate for investing any dev time into changing the reward structure? And if we don't accept that design choice, why not offer a gold acquisition method for every skin older than 2-3 years?

tl;dr the OP is still asking for a substantive change without there being a substantive reason other than "because some of us don't like the existing acquisition methods."

No, I don't automatically expect those who got the skins through the current existing methods to be okay with it, that's why I made this thread to get opinions. In the OP, I asked about the communities feelings on this, I didn't outright ask Anet to make this change. If I got a a bunch of responses not liking the suggestion, okay. If I got some post liking the suggestion, that would be pretty cool too.

Archived