Revert Choking Gas to before rework

Papa Smurf.4792

My personal wish-list:

• Remove the Daze and go back to the 4 ini cost.
  • Make Swipe 900 range to have it properly flow with Thieves' other skillsfunny enough, that would promote more aggressive play.
  • Remove Stability off of Blinding Powder, but make it instant-cast again.This change dumbed down Thief so much...
  • Equalize Shadow Portal and Mesmer's Portal a little bit by having both exist for 30 seconds.Feels unfair as it is now, especially in PvP, less so in WvW.
  • Improve Dagger 1 a tad (Auto Attacks and Backstab).Backstab feels very unrewarding for the required investment. Backstab to a 2.0 modifier (up from 1.8), AA1 to 0.5 (from 0.4), AA2 to 0.6 (from 0.433) and leave Lotus Strike (0.733).
  • To compensate a little, reduce Heartseeker modifiers a bit.Above 50% from 1.0 to 0.9, below 50% from 1.5 to 1.85 and below 25% from 2.0 to 1.8 this would hopefully result in a bit braindead players spamming Heartseeker, lol.
  • Pistol Whip initiative cost reduced to 5 again, at the cost of some damageDidn't really crunch numbers on this one, to be fair... But I think dropping the damage modifier from 2.12 down to 2.0 would still be fair...

The main ones I'd like to see would be the changes to Swipe and Blinding Powder though.Oh, and Preparedness (Trickery) should really be baseline at this stage... What to replace it with though..? Maybe simply a Blind on Steal?Just really don't like how recent changes are messing with the fluidity of Thief and how it plays... Things are just so much more clunky.

@Vornollo.5182 said:My personal wish-list:

• Remove the Daze and go back to the 4 ini cost.
  • Make Swipe 900 range to have it properly flow with Thieves' other skillsfunny enough, that would promote more aggressive play.
  • Remove Stability off of Blinding Powder, but make it instant-cast again.This change dumbed down Thief so much...
  • Equalize Shadow Portal and Mesmer's Portal a little bit by having both exist for 30 seconds.Feels unfair as it is now, especially in PvP, less so in WvW.
  • Improve Dagger 1 a tad (Auto Attacks and Backstab).Backstab feels very unrewarding for the required investment. Backstab to a 2.0 modifier (up from 1.8), AA1 to 0.5 (from 0.4), AA2 to 0.6 (from 0.433) and leave Lotus Strike (0.733).
  • To compensate a little, reduce Heartseeker modifiers a bit.Above 50% from 1.0 to 0.9, below 50% from 1.5 to 1.85 and below 25% from 2.0 to 1.8 this would hopefully result in a bit braindead players spamming Heartseeker, lol.
  • Pistol Whip initiative cost reduced to 5 again, at the cost of some damageDidn't really crunch numbers on this one, to be fair... But I think dropping the damage modifier from 2.12 down to 2.0 would still be fair...

The main ones I'd like to see would be the changes to Swipe and Blinding Powder though.Oh, and Preparedness (Trickery) should really be baseline at this stage... What to replace it with though..? Maybe simply a Blind on Steal?Just really don't like how recent changes are messing with the fluidity of Thief and how it plays... Things are just so much more clunky.

Before those changes would hypothetically move to WvW

• the daze is the aspect I use Choking Gas for, but it was more useful for me as a pulse instead. It's not bad right now but again, the daze being upfront and done is bland and steps aside for something better if we're just going hit for hit. If more people like the daze being upfront that's fine, but they should at least revert the Ini cost and then leave it alone.
  • The Stability with BP is clutch pretty often, I haven't run into much problem with it's cast time, the same problem I had before I have now, which is whoever I'm trying to cover with it is squirreling and misses out anyway.

900 range Swipe really would flow better with our other skills, it's already punished enough by line of site, Obstructed, and just because. The range and orientation of other parts of my build often make me have to run up a few steps like the out-of-shape kid trying to keep before I know I can go for it.

Just revert the skill to something akin to what it was in 2012: 4 ini, damage and poison on impact, pulses poison every seconds for 4 seconds. That't it, that is all it needs to be; a reliable aoe poison combo field and nothing more, no bloating the skill to the point where you have to make it cost 7 initiative to be balanced.

@"kash.9213" said:

• the daze is the aspect I use Choking Gas for, but it was more useful for me as a pulse instead.

Simple. Revert Choking Gas to a simple pulsing Poison field as before.Replace Infiltrator's Arrow with "Flashbang" that initially dazes for 1 second, blinds for 3 seconds, and creates a 3-second (non-pulsing) Smoke field.Create an initiative-based F3 skill "Elusive Shadow" that acts just as Infiltrator's Arrow minus the blind.

EVERY THIEF WINS!

@Kageseigi.2150 said:

@"kash.9213" said:
  • the daze is the aspect I use Choking Gas for, but it was more useful for me as a pulse instead.

Simple. Revert Choking Gas to a simple pulsing Poison field as before.Replace Infiltrator's Arrow with "Flashbang" that initially dazes for 1 second, blinds for 3 seconds, and creates a 3-second (non-pulsing) Smoke field.Create an initiative-based F3 skill "Elusive Shadow" that acts just as Infiltrator's Arrow minus the blind.

EVERY THIEF WINS!

Not sure how serious you are with that idea, but throwing the strongest thief's mobility weapon skill to be an independent "f-skill" seems like a great idea to get literally everything else nerfed even more, because now you pick whatever you want without sacrificing any mobility, also giving that mobility to any weapon set during the fight without swapping to sb. :-1:That change seems just unrealistic.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

@"kash.9213" said:

EVERY THIEF WINS!

Not sure how serious you are with that idea, but throwing the strongest thief's mobility weapon skill to be an independent "f-skill" seems like a
great
idea to get literally everything else nerfed even more, because now you pick whatever you want without sacrificing any mobility, also giving that mobility to any weapon set during the fight without swapping to sb. :-1:That change seems just unrealistic.

I mean being able to pick a second weapon wouldnt really matter, but being able to disengage without having to swap weapons, yeah thatd be dangerous.

@"Sobx.1758" said:throwing the strongest thief's mobility weapon skill to be an independent "f-skill" seems like a great idea to get literally everything else nerfed even more

It will happen anyway. No sense in not getting something great out of it.

also giving that mobility to any weapon set during the fight without swapping to sb. :-1:

The alternative is to make the Shortbow into an F3 weapon itself... or an Engineer-like utility (Elite maybe?) that replaces weapon-skills. This still allows for the Thief to take two real combat sets while not giving up the mobility that's required for being competitive (as well as keeping it separate from being used while other weapons are active).

Two combat weapon sets would be huge for the Thief, even if it doesn't make the Thief any more lethal directly. Yet, currently, two combat weapon sets means absolutely nothing without viable mobility.

@Kageseigi.2150 said:

@"kash.9213" said:

EVERY THIEF WINS!

That would be an awesome skill, but that puts me in the lane where I want that pulsing daze but where I don't want to be myself.

• 3 weeks later...

@Kageseigi.2150 said:

@"kash.9213" said:

EVERY THIEF WINS!

Not really. If it's an F skill, you can bet it will have a nasty CD, and we'd be lucky if it was an ammo skill.

Just revert choking gas and call it a day. Anet knows they messed up with it, but they're too stubborn to revert it back.

@CutesySylveon.8290 said:

@"kash.9213" said:

EVERY THIEF WINS!

Not really. If it's an F skill, you can bet it will have a nasty CD, and we'd be lucky if it was an ammo skill.

Just revert choking gas and call it a day. Anet knows they messed up with it, but they're too stubborn to revert it back.

That is unless their plan was to make people look to another weapon set as an alternative to Sb and made this change to pressure people to try something else. Truth to be told, right now thief is in a position to play some other stuff than decap.