An Idea to make Guilds more Influential

Id like to discuss how guilds don't seem to be a huge part in the main game experience. You can go the whole game without joining a guild and be 100% successful or guild hop to whichever seems the most interesting at the moment. However, I believe that there is a good way to introduce more of an interest in steady guilds that will not only keep members active but also loyal to the guild they join. It would involve cutting guild max sizes, introducing guild vs guild/alliances, and introducing a new form of guild life outside of the guild halls. At this point in the game, the only place a guild is truly important for anything other than friendship is WvW and even then they aren't necessary. However, this could change if guilds played a bigger part in WvW and even the main game. If there was some kind of guild area outside of the guild hall, in base game maps, where guilds could live and enjoy time together, the comradery between guild members would be much more prevalent. The purchase of this place could also encourage more members to be active in their guilds if it included a small fee per month per member to enter into the guild funds as a means to upgrade without individual members having to donate large sums while others do nothing to help the guild.

For introduction to WvW/Alliances:Guilds would battle each other in the same maps that we know and love today. Allied with other guilds of their choosing to fight for towers and camps. In the guilds, there would need to be a new permissions checkbox to designate those in the guild who are allowed to choose these alliances, and both guilds in an alliance would be able to break the alliance at the end of the week, just after the WvW reset. This would encourage peace between guilds and more positive experiences in the Guild Wars 2 community as people would need to pay more attention to the people they speak negatively too or it could negatively affect their experience in the game.

This is simply a base introduction to my idea and I would love for people to comment their opinions on the positive and negative effects that this could have on the gameplay as well as any other ideas that would encourage guilds being a larger part of this amazing game.

i completely agree tbh. i feel like if guilds were a more important part of GUILD wars 2 alot more people would be active and joining. however i dont think it should neccesarily be REQUIRED to join more so than more heavily inventivised to do so and to remain active and loyal to said guild. it would also encourage a more respectful and heartwarming community due to alliances being a thing. any guild without an allience would be at a disadvantage and if they were acting rude or unpleasant they wouldnt get alliances in the first place so those who have rude or otherwise offensive behavior would get a consequence for their actions and the guild community would become far closer than it is now. on top of that, the housing bit outside of a guildhall instance would be ideal. everyone has their reservations about how they want or dont want their guild hall to look. in my opinion, the guildhalls currently look like trash. Lost Precipice is the only guild hall where we can actually have houses and even then and after having it upgraded to max level over half of the houses are still falling apart, destroyed or just inaccessible. the guild hall still looks abandoned due to the map design of dead trees, broken buildings and lack of actual mood. id like a guild hall that looks something like rurikton from Divinity's Reach or ebonhawk in fields of ruin. something not quite so dead and abandoned. gilded hollow and windswept have no houses to speak of and there arent even decorations that contain your guild emblem. no flags, no tables and no chairs. the decoration cap makes it nearly impossible to decorate a seriously empty guild hall(which all of them are although lost Precipice doesnt feel quite as empty as the other two.) when it comes to guilds and the buffs and debuffs from them, i feel like it was rushed and the incentive for doing it was so low that it just felt like a chore having to do it for what little buffs we got. further more a guild doesnt need 500 people, a guild should have around 50 at max. it makes them more close knit and united and makes their dynamic even better. the guild missions are scaled to the point where cutting it down to 50 instead of 500 would actually be better for the guilds. halfing the cost of upgrades and doubling the benefits from the upgrades would be far far better and more enjoyable. clean up map designs of guild halls and implement guild-only game modes or make WvW gvg to begin with. add guild skills for attacking or blocking or ad better looking guild armor that actually has the guild emblem on it as well as longer guild capes and more of a royal army esc feel to the guild outfits considering it takes a lot of work to obtain them. like i really wish the anet team responsible for this would put more effort into the game outside of the living world seasons and stories as well as investing into the stories too.

6 months ago no work had even been done on alliances. They told us what they were working on if the first 2 quarters of 2020, which did not include alliances. Now we have news that an expansion is in the works, which is great. But, at the end of day, it's still been 2.5 years since alliances were announced, and 0 (zero) work has been done on it.

Take this in.Blobs bandwagon to stack and fight doors. (buy gems)Some people transfer to avoid facing the stacked bandwagon blob. (buy gems)Factoring in the above facts, and that gems are a revenue source, there is NO chance we will ever get alliances.

Side note: alliances were never going to fix anything wrong with wvw anyway, it was just going to change the name of the worlds people stacked on.

@IsabelAriond.6731 said:You can go the whole game without joining a guild and be 100% successful or guild hop to whichever seems the most interesting at the moment.Sounds to me like a good system.The vast majority of guilds I have joined have been absolutely rife with ego issues, personal squabbles, elitism, social pecking orders and power trips.Making being in a guild important to my advancement in this game would be the absolute quickest way for Arenanet to send me and my gaming dollar elsewhere.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@IsabelAriond.6731 said:You can go the whole game without joining a guild and be 100% successful or guild hop to whichever seems the most interesting at the moment.Sounds to me like a good system.The vast majority of guilds I have joined have been absolutely rife with ego issues, personal squabbles, elitism, social pecking orders and power trips.Making being in a guild important to my advancement in this game would be the absolute quickest way for Arenanet to send me and my gaming dollar elsewhere.

Agreed. Also, several of the guild invites I've received have a 100% rep requirement. No thanks. Sometimes, I don't want to rep a guild when playing.

@"Ubi.4136" said:6 months ago no work had even been done on alliances. They told us what they were working on if the first 2 quarters of 2020, which did not include alliances. Now we have news that an expansion is in the works, which is great. But, at the end of day, it's still been 2.5 years since alliances were announced, and 0 (zero) work has been done on it.

Take this in.Blobs bandwagon to stack and fight doors. (buy gems)Some people transfer to avoid facing the stacked bandwagon blob. (buy gems)Factoring in the above facts, and that gems are a revenue source, there is NO chance we will ever get alliances.

Side note: alliances were never going to fix anything wrong with wvw anyway, it was just going to change the name of the worlds people stacked on.

Really? Zero work? It's understood that it has been a long time coming, but is there some statement that no work, whatsoever, has been done we can read/watch/listen to?

I did find this, and though it is old, it does suggest (or rather implicitly state) that work has been done:

"It has been a few months since our last update, and we are happy to let you know that progress has been good. We have overcome a few major snags and bugs and this has put a few of our big goals in sight."

I have nothing agaist guilds get more options, as long it optional content.

I think it's allways better that players have more different kind stuff to do. As long people remember that not everyone likes all kind of gameplay, so never force players to be part of someting. Players can make they own choises, if they want to be part of something.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

Indeed, i have never joined a guild in any game and i never will. If it becomes a requirement then i'm out.

Really, the reason most MMO put something like banks, buff and such into guilds is because if they didn't, there would be a lot less people joining them. Should just stop pretending and make it available. If someone is interested, they will look for one to join regardless.