AUTO ATTACK FUNCTIONALITY

Ghos.1326

I have a pretty cool suggestion for the auto attack functionality, for players who don't play with the action camera.I think that, when you click the auto attack skill key that you have bound, or clicking it with your mouse, it should start automatically attacking at your targeted enemy (already does this).However, if you were to press the same key again, it should stop auto attacking, and then if you want to auto attack again, just press the button. I feel this would make managing auto attacking much easier, than having to press an extra key to cancel your attacks/skill casts, or de-selecting an enemy player and then having to re-select the player again and THEN pressing the auto attack skill again to have it start auto attacking again. Thoughts on this?

@Ghos.1326 said:clicking it with your mouse

I wonder how many people are going to just fixate on this line...

Jests aside, I agree that a better solutions needs to exist to allow people to manage their Auto-cast skills. However, for most players I know of, it's going to be a sea change in terms of how they play, considering they have an instinctual tendency to mash the "1" key.

I'd be happy if auto-attack didn't automatically select a tree to attack when I'm in the midst of a fight with multiple mobs (this happens in one of the story quests) or attack a Centaur weapon rack or a Moa or an opponent a long distance from me after I've just defeated the mob close to me (and my health is so low that I had no desire whatsoever to attack another mob) or any one of the other really, really stupid effects of the auto-attack implementation. When I've got a real opponent facing me, it makes no sense for auto-attack to select a totally irrelevant target.It's especially bad when I've just used a ranged weapon and killed a mob; the game isn't "satisfied" and it will immediately attack another mob before I can turn auto-attack off.Worst implementation of auto-attack in any game I've ever played...

@"Lord Kreegan.8123" said:I'd be happy if auto-attack didn't automatically select a tree to attack when I'm in the midst of a fight with multiple mobs (this happens in one of the story quests) or attack a Centaur weapon rack or a Moa or an opponent a long distance from me after I've just defeated the mob close to me (and my health is so low that I had no desire whatsoever to attack another mob) or any one of the other really, really stupid effects of the auto-attack implementation. When I've got a real opponent facing me, it makes no sense for auto-attack to select a totally irrelevant target.It's especially bad when I've just used a ranged weapon and killed a mob; the game isn't "satisfied" and it will immediately attack another mob before I can turn auto-attack off.Worst implementation of auto-attack in any game I've ever played...

It sucks indeed, but you should learn to use the 'select nearest enemy' option. I think it's Tab by default, I have mine set to the mouse scroll. Clicking it selects literally the nearest enemy so that rules out accidentally selecting targets that are further away, and if it so happens your nearest target is a tree/rack/ambient, you can quickly click it again to cycle between all nearby targets to swap to the one you want to be attacking. Once you learn to utilize it properly, it makes fights soooo much easier without the hassle.

I use TAB-targeting all the time. However, when auto-attack wants to do its thing -- like just after you killed a mob -- TAB-targeting occurs AFTER the auto-attack has fired.And TAB-targeting, just like auto-attack, has a habit of selecting targets that are other than enemies... things like Centaur weapon racks, just like auto-attack. The key problem is what is defined as a possible target. Both auto-attack and TAB-targeting handle it wrong. It's especially bad when you're fighting a large number of mobs at the same time with a lot of other players in the melee; it's not possible, even zooming out to max, to effectively select targets with the mouse because the graphical objects overlap, so TAB-targeting (or AoE) are the only recourse.

You could just turn it off and hold down the button instead then let go when you want to stop. The suggestion sounds extremely awkward on top of turning into a mess with enough lag.

@"Lord Kreegan.8123" said:I'd be happy if auto-attack didn't automatically select a tree to attack when I'm in the midst of a fight with multiple mobs (this happens in one of the story quests) or attack a Centaur weapon rack or a Moa or an opponent a long distance from me after I've just defeated the mob close to me (and my health is so low that I had no desire whatsoever to attack another mob) or any one of the other really, really stupid effects of the auto-attack implementation. When I've got a real opponent facing me, it makes no sense for auto-attack to select a totally irrelevant target.It's especially bad when I've just used a ranged weapon and killed a mob; the game isn't "satisfied" and it will immediately attack another mob before I can turn auto-attack off.Worst implementation of auto-attack in any game I've ever played...

That is not autoattack. That is autotarget. Two separate things. Many people learn early on that its not a good feature and turn it off just like melee assist.

@Arzurag.7506 said:

@Panda.1967 said:I'd be happy if auto-attack wouldn't randomly turn off in the middle of combat...

As far as I remember that´s a feature on some of the mesmer´s skills.

It's a feature on entering stealth. However the issue I have with it is not from entering stealth, or even when playing my mesmer. Every few seconds on my elementalist, my auto attack disables. It turns off at complete random on my ranger despite the fact that I don't use any stealth abilities on her, and make an effort to not activate Hunter's Shot. My auto-attack has a habit of turning off the instant I turn it on, on my Guardian.

Archived