What even is this mode?

Clyan.1593

Personally I can't wrap my head around why Ranked has solo queue. I don't really PvP so I don't have much to bring to the conversation, but I did give it a try for 1 season, and finished with a 54% win rate total over ranked and unranked. And while I did see improvement in myself in 1v1 and map awareness (which has helped me in WvW a lot <3 ) I couldn't help be notice that I would queue up and get stomped 50-500, queue up again and then win 500 - 80. Now, I didn't suddenly get better - I was playing at the same level, on the same profession and build. It was then I realized that at my skill level (not good enough to carry) my winning/losing had more to do with RNG on who my team mates were and the enemy team than anything else.

When I played Arena back in WoW, I knew going in who I was playing with, what the comp was, what was the strategy, we had comms, etc. By comparison current PvP ranked play is bush league...amateur hour. It's what I would expect to find in a game after clicking a button that says "Quick Join".

Solo and Duo queue is fine for something like unranked where nothing matters, but I think ANET should be embarrassed that they use the same system for ranked play.

Whatever criteria led to that decision (faster queues, more accessibility, etc) it was a mistake, and they would have been better off addressing those issues instead. Now it's probably too late given the low population, as queue times for 5-person groups would be crazy high.

If I could queue up with 4 friends / guildmates and chill on discord while we went into PvP, it would be part of my weekly schedule. But as it stands now, I have no real desire to queue in, and prefer other game modes.

@Clyan.1593 said:

@"Shao.7236" said:Y'all well know that even if Anet did all the right things, people aren't willing to stay or wanting to care enough. This game is a niche and it's easy for people to drop it. The population problem is way more than "balance" or "matchmaking", players do have to take most of the blame because they don't care.

Game is a rather good state right now and it doesn't matter, as long as the typical MMO cheese isn't there, it won't attract the population that crave instant gratification. Perseverance is not something most have the time or even know the existence of.

This game is not niche at all. How do you come up with such a claim? Among the sea of WoW clones it's the perfect solution for those who are tired of the copy paste MMOs. Why would this MMO be easier to drop than any other?It took 3 years for an expansion to drop. Until then the vast majority of players was already bored with central tyria since a long time. It was lacking content. And PvP and WvW both were not good enough to compete with PvE. Fractals when they released didn't have a great progression system and also were lacking content. Originally there was no ascended gear, and since exotics would drop way too often soon people had nothing else to work towards. Dungeons were a joke, just speed runs for skins which back then you couldn't unlock in a wardrobe like today. We didn't even have a LFG. Raids also were introduced way too late. And finally when most features were integrated PvP and WvW both went even more downhill. Edge of the mists was completely cut out, and with the addition of elite specs balance never got any professional care.GW2 never recovered from its early problems, not because it might be niche.

You missed the point entirely, it's niche because there's nothing that plays like it. If you want to compare WoW to GW2, go ahead. WoW is extremely boring for the people that want to feel actually engaged. I left the MMO scene entirely until I found GW2 because it does actually offer some form of entertainment rather than being the same old entirely RNG invested gameplay with the most generic attempts at fantasy. There's little to nothing aside combat in this game and that's where most of it's effort have been put as well, other MMO's have way more going in anything but combat. GW2 absolutely triumph any MMO combat and should anything be said about it's balance, even if it was perfectly balanced, there would still be whiny people that couldn't accept that they have to git gud anyway because MMO's don't attract this kind of people, they attract those who want to hoard, pile, stock, have a sense of progression with artificially bloated content with inevitable power creep.

There's no progression, it's all an illusion, the game that you play can be gone at anytime and will result in nothing for what you expect to be at any given point. You can discredit the game as much as you want, GW2 is built for actual fun at the moment you play it, not just racking digits thinking that you've done anything, because somehow that's fun to people.

The only thing GW2 lack is actual aiming and you'd have something entirely different. Honestly glad it isn't because REG is already funky enough and that keeps one factor out of the cheaters.

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

@"Shao.7236" said:Y'all well know that even if Anet did all the right things, people aren't willing to stay or wanting to care enough. This game is a niche and it's easy for people to drop it. The population problem is way more than "balance" or "matchmaking", players do have to take most of the blame because they don't care.

Game is a rather good state right now and it doesn't matter, as long as the typical MMO cheese isn't there, it won't attract the population that crave instant gratification. Perseverance is not something most have the time or even know the existence of.

People cared for far too long and finally gave up after recent patches where nothing is being addressed. 8yrs of the same team who is unable to balance for kitten. And recent patch proves they have no intention to change anything since the mess in feb. Honestly that too much. Covid is not an excuse either when other others games i play managed to release patches as if nothing was happened5yrs ago i made decision to drop pvp and just casually log in the game to pve/wvw. 0 regrets. Rip to all the tryhards tho

Make the decision to drop those forums too, that'd help you a lot. Nobody has a clue of what real balance is here, it mostly involves their ego, that's about it. Everything is a mess until "you" are satisfied, that goes for "everyone" else. The inability to see the bigger picture is what drives this game at the bottom that it is, not just Anet mistakes. Bring actual "maths" if you want balance, considering this is an "MMO" afterall.

@Shao.7236 said:

@Shao.7236 said:Y'all well know that even if Anet did all the right things, people aren't willing to stay or wanting to care enough. This game is a niche and it's easy for people to drop it. The population problem is way more than "balance" or "matchmaking", players do have to take most of the blame because they don't care.

This game is not niche at all. How do you come up with such a claim? Among the sea of WoW clones it's the perfect solution for those who are tired of the copy paste MMOs. Why would this MMO be easier to drop than any other?It took 3 years for an expansion to drop. Until then the vast majority of players was already bored with central tyria since a long time. It was lacking content. And PvP and WvW both were not good enough to compete with PvE. Fractals when they released didn't have a great progression system and also were lacking content. Originally there was no ascended gear, and since exotics would drop way too often soon people had nothing else to work towards. Dungeons were a joke, just speed runs for skins which back then you couldn't unlock in a wardrobe like today. We didn't even have a LFG. Raids also were introduced way too late. And finally when most features were integrated PvP and WvW both went even more downhill. Edge of the mists was completely cut out, and with the addition of elite specs balance never got any professional care.GW2 never recovered from its early problems, not because it might be niche.

You missed the point entirely, it's niche because there's nothing that plays like it.

If you want to argue that due to mechanical differences compared to other MMOs it is niche, alright. But it's a really vague definition. Many games are mechanically unique (unless we talk about shooters) and are doing fine.In the end GW2 is just another MMO: you still kill trash mobs, do quests, farm mats, acquire gear and get XP in order to lvl up. There is nothing niche about that.Mario's Picross was niche. Or Stardew Valley. Or Superhot. Even Tetris is more niche than GW2.I think it is obvious that ignoring critical issues of a game/ its modes and failing to implement important features or content is a much bigger deterent to stablizing player count than it being just "niche". All my friends who loved GW2 when it came out stopped playing it because it didn't offer enough content or had too many internal problems and this holds true to many others who left.

@Clyan.1593 said:

@Shao.7236 said:Y'all well know that even if Anet did all the right things, people aren't willing to stay or wanting to care enough. This game is a niche and it's easy for people to drop it. The population problem is way more than "balance" or "matchmaking", players do have to take most of the blame because they don't care.

You missed the point entirely, it's niche because there's nothing that plays like it.

If you want to argue that due to mechanical differences compared to other MMOs it is niche, alright. But it's a really vague definition. Many games are mechanically unique (unless we talk about shooters) and are doing fine.In the end GW2 is just another MMO: you still kill trash mobs, do quests, farm mats, acquire gear and get XP in order to lvl up. There is nothing niche about that.Mario's Picross was niche. Or Stardew Valley. Or Superhot. Even Tetris is more niche than GW2.I think it is obvious that ignoring critical issues of a game/ its modes and failing to implement important features or content is a much bigger deterent to stablizing player count than it being just "niche". All my friends who loved GW2 when it came out stopped playing it because it didn't offer enough content or had too many internal problems and this holds true to many others who left.

By the name itself, Guild Wars 2 should have been much more PvP oriented than it is currently. Everything implemented after the combat like said feels like an afterthought. Honestly for an MMO, it's not really MMO at all. GW2 doesn't need that much content when the majority of it is combat oriented for the players themselves.

You bring any FPS/game that isn't an MMO, they all share a repetitive aspect that ask the player to enjoy the same content over and over, just to improve upon it. I've had many times people telling me that one game is boring because it's just "X" and "Y" while they go back to their own "X" and "Y". GW2 is straight up not comparable for those who play WoW or anything of the sort, it's gonna get boring because of the uniformity as well as strict ways the progression is managed.

GW2 is more like an action game that actively relies on it's existing content under various approaches expected from the players themselves.

@"Shao.7236" said:GW2 is more like an action game that actively relies on it's existing content under various approaches expected from the players themselves.

1qKTNq8.gif

Niro hard on that one. Since when alt pressing games are action games? Black Desert is action mmo. Vindictus with even better combat system is action based semi mmo. Even Smite is more action based cause everything has to be aimed manually from abilities to auto attack. GW2 is just that, press tab and start mashing buttons with most abilities autoaiming by default. Just cause u got some dodge and few blocking skills it doesnt make gw2 action based game.

And and u know im right about everything i said in previous post. Besides im once in a blue moon on these forums, usually whem im bored af as seen by my post history and how often i post anyway.And the end of the day all modes are failing, spvp is completely dead full of bots, wvw mode is on it last legs, even pve fails to deliver and plenty of people are disappointed with so said expansion worth of contest saga.People are leaving on left and right, no matter how much someone will try to deny it, gw2 is in dying state as seen by their quarter earnings report dropping from quarter to quarter (despite corona) and no matter how much you will try to deny it, white knight, call people bad and so on the reports speak for itself and thats pretty much how im closing the argument here. Good day cuz i wont be here for a while again. Dont forget to enjoy the face of chaos popping protection sound every 2seconds and ruining the upkeep mechanic, cuz u can bet its just the start, next will be Mallyx EtD with 3sec interval as it used to be before

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

@"Shao.7236" said:GW2 is more like an action game that actively relies on it's existing content under various approaches expected from the players themselves.

1qKTNq8.gif

Niro hard on that one. Since when alt pressing games are action games? Black Desert is action mmo. Vindictus with even better combat system is action based semi mmo. Even Smite is more action based cause everything has to be aimed manually from abilities to auto attack. GW2 is just that, press tab and start mashing buttons with most abilities autoaiming by default. Just cause u got some dodge and few blocking skills it doesnt make gw2 action based game.

And and u know im right about everything i said in previous post. Besides im once in a blue moon on these forums, usually whem im bored af as seen by my post history and how often i post anyway.And the end of the day all modes are failing, spvp is completely dead full of bots, wvw mode is on it last legs, even pve fails to deliver and plenty of people are disappointed with so said expansion worth of contest saga.People are leaving on left and right, no matter how much someone will try to deny it, gw2 is in dying state as seen by their quarter earnings report dropping from quarter to quarter (despite corona) and no matter how much you will try to deny it, white knight, call people bad and so on the reports speak for itself and thats pretty much how im closing the argument here. Good day cuz i wont be here for a while again. Dont forget to enjoy the face of chaos popping protection sound every 2seconds and ruining the upkeep mechanic, cuz u can bet its just the start, next will be Mallyx EtD with 3sec interval as it used to be before

Pro active gameplay is action, no matter the complexity, trying discredit it like playing anything such as an FPS is any more complex because all you have to do is press crouch or move left to right to avoid shots is outright biased and shows the lack of value in any argument that you have. In fact, GW2 has it more on the reaction side than particularly anything out there because it relies on the judgement of players with evading, not being a class that has high evade chance. Nice try, but that's just same bad reasons I keep hearing for anyone that tries to justify why x is bad and y is better, bye.

@Shiyo.3578 said:At plat I'm constantly put with 4 golds and expected to carry. It makes really unfun and uneven games. I've legit played against the rank1 player duo with another 1800+ player(he was duo queue) when I was 1580 and my team had 4 golds. 0-500 score. Good matchmaking?

This is really major problem. Duo queuing is seriously messing up the matchmaking. It results in the exact situation you described.