Mirage cloak way more unforgiving lag wise.

Mayama.1854

Anyone else has the feeling that mirage cloak has a lot less leeway in terms of lag compensation compared to a normal dodge?Usually when you dodge and not quite make it you get a bit of "extra dodge" added to compensate lag.In WvW and PvP it feels like mirage cloak stops exaclty after one second and has no lag compensation at all.Sometimes I even get hit while mirage cloak is active.

I play a bit on all classes and strictly pve so for what its worth: I went back to Chrono specifically because of the lack of dodge. PoF has more ground targeting by mobs then ever (it seems) and cloak doesn't do much good for that. In addition, most of the new specs seem to be Melee oriented and so there again more open to mobs ground targeting. Admittedly I also do Teq at least once a day (5-6 hoards in a couple of yrs so wth) and discovered pretty quick that I couldn't dodge a poison field lol,I like some of the Mirage features, but pffft Chrono works better for me. Cheers!

People must be using mirage cloak wrong because i'ts actually superior to dodging. Not only does it dodge just fine out ot any AOE, but you have way more control on where you want to go as opposed to just rolling in a direction with the controls taken from you, it also enables you to punish mobs while dodging.

If you're doing that back shuffle or slow sidestep thing with your mesmer (backwars and strafe while camera is pointing forward) then you're doing it wrong. It's not a dodge, it's a mirage cloak. Unlearn dodging to use it effectively.

I carry people in fractals now since i got mirage cloak. And if i mess up there's always distortion.Sure, i can mess up every now and then, and no amount of dodging is going to help you if your whole team is down (well, usually), but as far as evasion mechanics go, mirage cloak is far superior to just dodging.

People just don't know how to use it yet.

@Veprovina.4876 said:People must be using mirage cloak wrong because i'ts actually superior to dodging. Not only does it dodge just fine out ot any AOE, but you have way more control on where you want to go as opposed to just rolling in a direction with the controls taken from you, it also enables you to punish mobs while dodging.

If you're doing that back shuffle or slow sidestep thing with your mesmer (backwars and strafe while camera is pointing forward) then you're doing it wrong. It's not a dodge, it's a mirage cloak. Unlearn dodging to use it effectively.

I carry people in fractals now since i got mirage cloak. And if i mess up there's always distortion.Sure, i can mess up every now and then, and no amount of dodging is going to help you if your whole team is down (well, usually), but as far as evasion mechanics go, mirage cloak is far superior to just dodging.

So u didn't read the OP, but just wanted to tell us something right ?

@FaboBabo.3581 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:People must be using mirage cloak wrong because i'ts actually superior to dodging. Not only does it dodge just fine out ot any AOE, but you have way more control on where you want to go as opposed to just rolling in a direction with the controls taken from you, it also enables you to punish mobs while dodging.

So u didn't read the OP, but just wanted to tell us something right ?

No, i read it, lag and all. This was more of a reply to Sutrebor than it is directed at OP, but kinda still relevant so i didn't directly quote it.If OP is getting hit when mirage cloak is active then there's nothing more to say, it's lag, deal with it or get it fixed or whatever because that shouldn't be happening and indeed can happen to dodging too, i've seen it for myself when i have lag.

As for the other stuff. Well, i wrote it in my post.

Mirage cloak is not superior or good , it is awful compare to normal dodge , made everything harder and for what some useless ambush attack ? > @Veprovina.4876 said:

People must be using mirage cloak wrong because i'ts actually superior to dodging. Not only does it dodge just fine out ot any AOE, but you have way more control on where you want to go as opposed to just rolling in a direction with the controls taken from you, it also enables you to punish mobs while dodging.

Mirage cloak is not superior or good , it is awful compare to normal dodge , made everything harder and for what some useless ambush attack ?

@OPYeah, I experienced some issues with mirage cloak when lagging as well. It's hard to describe what exactly is happening, but it's very weird. Kinda like, cloak's visuals are up, yet you are not evading. Also, it sometimes even locks me in place for no reason. Good thing I have decent Internet connection most of the time, so I don't have to struggle with those issues too much.

I kinda agree with you. Mirage Cloak is different from regular dodges and it's kinda hard to get used to it at 1st, but it's actually one of the very few things I like about the Mirage.

@Handi.1685 said:Mirage cloak is not superior or good , it is awful compare to normal dodge , made everything harder and for what some useless ambush attack ? > @Veprovina.4876 said:

Mirage cloak is not superior or good , it is awful compare to normal dodge , made everything harder and for what some useless ambush attack ?

Tbh, with all bugs , useless traits etc , mirage cloak is still some of the best things for Mirage.First get used to it, before complaining. "Sword ambush - useless" - is a joke statement.Made so many things easier for me. My heal is never gettin interrupted anymore, and i still can use Ambushes afterwards.

Sine mirage cloak is 1 sec and ambush window is 1,5 u can "cover" 2 abilitys.Use skill 1 (cast time 0,75-1 sec) - use mirage cloak after 0,4-0,6 seconds, covering the CC from enemy. After finishing cast - use Ambush Skill, covering at least the first 0,4-0,6 seconds of the Ambush cast.

@FaboBabo.3581 said:

@Handi.1685 said:Mirage cloak is not superior or good , it is awful compare to normal dodge , made everything harder and for what some useless ambush attack ? > @Veprovina.4876 said:

Tbh, with all bugs , useless traits etc , mirage cloak is still some of the best things for Mirage.First get used to it, before complaining. "Sword ambush - useless" - is a joke statement.Made so many things easier for me. My heal is never gettin interrupted anymore, and i still can use Ambushes afterwards.

Sine mirage cloak is 1 sec and ambush window is 1,5 u can "cover" 2 abilitys.Use skill 1 (cast time 0,75-1 sec) - use mirage cloak after 0,4-0,6 seconds, covering the CC from enemy. After finishing cast - use Ambush Skill, covering at least the first 0,4-0,6 seconds of the Ambush cast.

Maybe in pvp or wvsw it is a thing but in pve it is useless (note to myself next time i have to write pve ) , as for Sword ambush all the same like the others to me : worthless.And won't deny it i hate this spec from the start .

Well if people hate the spec and won't give it a chance, there's nothing anyone can do about it.

But about mirage cloak, you can speed out of an AOE before it even hits, and i think superspeed covers a bit more ground than dodge does, but that maybe just me.Other thing is. If it's not a lingering AOE like fire or whatever, you can literally stand there and keep attacking, just activating mirage cloak at the right time before the AOE hits. That might seem insignificant but, you do get a free ambush attack out of it, and you don't have to spend precious seconds repositioning yourself after a dodge.

While that may seem really minor, it's actually DPS you don't lose, and it's not just a "useless" ambush which are not useless, but because you don't have to reposition yourself after a cloak, you can keep unleashing other skills there at the spot while other classes need to get into position again. And if another AOE happens to strike, everyone has to dodge again making repositioning a failed attempt, needing to reposition a second time.

Mirage can be extremely aggressive in PvE and PvP that way while losing no defensive abilities whatsoever.

So if mirage cloak made everything worse for you, it's not mirage cloak, it's you. Learn to use it effectively and you'll see what i'm talking about.It does take time getting used to it, but once you do you'll probably carry your whole team in fractals or something for the rest of your play time. It's that good.It's not OP and you're not invincible, but it's objectively better than dodging.

Now, if lag is hitting you, no amount of mastery is going to save you, and i really wouldn't say OP's problem is lag entirely. It's definitely a lag issue if OP's getting hit while in mirage cloak, but dodging doesn't get any bit of an "extra dodge" OP's just more accustomed to dodging as opposed to mirage cloak, so he himself could compensate for the lag (hitting dodge a split second sooner than usual etc.).

Once you learn to use mirage cloak, you'll be able to use it to a greater advantage than just dodging, and you'll also learn how long it works etc. so you can "compensate for the lag". But if lag is huge then you have a technical issue or something, that's not something a spec or training can help you with.

@Handi.1685 said:

@FaboBabo.3581 said:

Maybe in pvp or wvsw it is a thing but in pve it is useless (note to myself next time i have to write pve ) , as for Sword ambush all the same like the others to me : worthless.And won't deny it i hate this spec from the start .

I can understand ur point at specific settings. Mirage is "sadly" not a high end pve content class. You won't reach top dps numbers, but ur not supporting anyone at the same time.

At the same time, there is no issue doing raids or T4 - Fracs with Mirage. Even on clone Build u can get up to 30k. If u want to raid/T4 - with ur class, and ur class is not OPTIMAL (most dmg with highest support possible), u should relook for more casual groups.

Raiding in general and speedraiding are two different things.Mirage is good on casual raiding, but fails horribly at speed raiding.People expectet Mirage to be a Speed-raiding thing, but it isn't.

Chrono fills up that spot for it's support ; ala/quickness.

Correct me if i'm wrong, cause im not doing raids, but this is the overall opinion i'm seeing in the forums.

Most things fail horribly at speed raiding though. Speed raiding is just taking a very specific set up (the fastest one). By its very nature, it leaves out most of the classes/builds in the game in favor of a very few.

If that is the only thing its bad at, then its just as good as the others. And it is. I'm having very little trouble in higher tier fracs, dungeons, etc.. In-fact, I'd say I'm way more survivable for reasons as stated above (you can avoid interrupts without breaking the flow of your attacks, is one thing I've found to be very useful). Once you get speed of sand as well, you become just as mobile as with dodge, just with more fine control over how you move (as well as the ability to attack while dodging).

Up to 30k DPS, if I am not mistaken, is around where anet wants DPS. The balance patch is supposedly going to be fixing people who are too far above the desired DPS margins (40k DPS and the like) and bring them down to the level of everyone else. So, that just means we aren't going to be getting nerfed.

@Veprovina.4876 said:Well if people hate the spec and won't give it a chance, there's nothing anyone can do about it.

But about mirage cloak, you can speed out of an AOE before it even hits, and i think superspeed covers a bit more ground than dodge does, but that maybe just me.Other thing is. If it's not a lingering AOE like fire or whatever, you can literally stand there and keep attacking, just activating mirage cloak at the right time before the AOE hits. That might seem insignificant but, you do get a free ambush attack out of it, and you don't have to spend precious seconds repositioning yourself after a dodge.

While that may seem really minor, it's actually DPS you don't lose, and it's not just a "useless" ambush which are not useless, but because you don't have to reposition yourself after a cloak, you can keep unleashing other skills there at the spot while other classes need to get into position again. And if another AOE happens to strike, everyone has to dodge again making repositioning a failed attempt, needing to reposition a second time.

That's what I keep saying. Feels nice when I'm fighting bosses with huge AoEs and I can just stand there and keep doing what I'm doing. Meanwhile, I watch everyone else scatter or get thrown to their deaths. And, like you said, it allows us to be more aggressive as I'm finding that Mirage Cloak allows me to take some risks. For instance, with the Jade Constructs in Lake Doric and Bloodstone Fen, if I time things right I can just stay in and continue attacking while they do their whirlwind attacks. That allows me to feel like I can play a more melee focused build where I used to like to have a ranged weapons for times where I couldn't get close to a boss.

@Cantatus.4065 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:Well if people hate the spec and won't give it a chance, there's nothing anyone can do about it.

That's what I keep saying. Feels nice when I'm fighting bosses with huge AoEs and I can just stand there and keep doing what I'm doing. Meanwhile, I watch everyone else scatter or get thrown to their deaths. And, like you said, it allows us to be more aggressive as I'm finding that Mirage Cloak allows me to take some risks. For instance, with the Jade Constructs in Lake Doric and Bloodstone Fen, if I time things right I can just stay in and continue attacking while they do their whirlwind attacks. That allows me to feel like I can play a more melee focused build where I used to like to have a ranged weapons for times where I couldn't get close to a boss.

Exaclty. :smile:And since we're just standing there in the middle of an AOE, it also means we're not dodging into anything either. I did this a lot, and i've seen people do this too but, dodging is always directional and sometimes i dodged something only to dodge into something else. Not only am i just scattering then, not attacking, i took way more damage than planned and it can become a mess.

Now with mirage cloak, i feel more in control than ever, it's actually an amazing mechanic. It took me a while of playing to get the hang of it but now that i have, i can't go back to dodge. :tongue:

Yeah, this is something I've experienced myself. The trick seems to be that if you need to move, you should move forward, not the traditional backwards or sideways of a conventional dodge. With superspeed, this will move you just as far as if you'd done a conventional dodgeroll forward. It's just that our instincts are usually to dodge away, not forward.

@Handi.1685 said:Maybe in pvp or wvsw it is a thing but in pve it is useless (note to myself next time i have to write pve ) , as for Sword ambush all the same like the others to me : worthless.

"Covering" skills isn't as important in PvE as it is in PvP, but I wouldn't say it's worthless. Some mobs do have fast-activating CCs that you might miss the tell on, or a CC might have a tell where normally you'd have a choice between dodging out of the skill (thus interrupting whatever you might have been trying to do) or just standing there and taking the CC anyway. Having a cover can be useful in those circumstances.

@Handi.1685 said:Maybe in pvp or wvsw it is a thing but in pve it is useless (note to myself next time i have to write pve ) , as for Sword ambush all the same like the others to me : worthless.

"Covering" skills isn't as important in PvE as it is in PvP, but I wouldn't say it's worthless. Some mobs do have fast-activating CCs that you might miss the tell on, or a CC might have a tell where normally you'd have a choice between dodging out of the skill (thus interrupting whatever you might have been trying to do) or just standing there and taking the CC anyway. Having a cover can be useful in those circumstances.

Well there is a tiny little problem your phantasmas will do the damage so no matter if you dodge or not, thy will , as long as you you alive , which is hard with mirage and "dodge" system it has > @Veprovina.4876 said:

@Levetty.1279 said:

@FaboBabo.3581 said:"Sword ambush - useless" - is a joke statement.

It does less damage then an auto attack.

It's a gap closer. You don't use it for damage.

oh wish core mesmer has something like this , wait we have Illusionary Leap ( btw i talked about pve , not pvp )

@Handi.1685 said:

oh wish core mesmer has something like this , wait we have Illusionary Leap ( btw i talked about pve , not pvp )

So? What's your point? Mirage has illusionary leap AND sword ambush. And both can be used in PvE, you can jump out of an AOE with the sword ambush. It's not anet's fault you fon't have imagination.

Besides, if you don't need 2 mobility skills you can swap illusionary leap with some other utility and just ise swird ambush as a gap closer.

Sword ambush is not useless in PvE at all, not all skills rxist only for damage. If they did we wouldn't have illusionary leap. :wink:

Sword ambush is not useless in PvE at all, not all skills rxist only for damage. If they did we wouldn't have illusionary leap. :wink:

It's called ambush, yet it's more of a utility kind of skill.I don't deny Mirage Thrust's usefulness in PvP, but in PvE it's absolutely worthless (but so are other ambushes tbh). It can't be used for damage, it can't be used for breakbars, not even as open world mobility tool since we got mounts. Edit: you said it can be used as a tool to get out of an aoe, but don't you think it's kinda sad that it's its only purpose?

Mirage Thrust and all other ambushes need serious buffs in PvE, period.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@Handi.1685 said:

So? What's your point? Mirage has illusionary leap AND sword ambush. And both can be used in PvE, you can jump out of an AOE with the sword ambush. It's not anet's fault you fon't have imagination.

Besides, if you don't need 2 mobility skills you can swap illusionary leap with some other utility and just ise swird ambush as a gap closer.

Blink can take you out from aoe too , and if targed is far away it dosent metter ,this is why dodge was better then this , and in the worst case you can use distortion.With crono it is walk in the park :) and i think you are the one with out imagination, not me .

@Sutrebor.4217 said:I play a bit on all classes and strictly pve so for what its worth: I went back to Chrono specifically because of the lack of dodge. PoF has more ground targeting by mobs then ever (it seems) and cloak doesn't do much good for that. In addition, most of the new specs seem to be Melee oriented and so there again more open to mobs ground targeting. Admittedly I also do Teq at least once a day (5-6 hoards in a couple of yrs so wth) and discovered pretty quick that I couldn't dodge a poison field lol,I like some of the Mirage features, but pffft Chrono works better for me. Cheers!

At first glance, the inferior dodge made a lot of sense to me because of the ambush skills we're getting. Then I found out just trivial the output of these skills is. It's stronger than an autoattack, but not nearly by enough to warrant a weaker dodge for it.

But instead of removing Cloak, frankly I'd just want my Ambush skills to actually be worth it. :<

Cloak is amazing given you can use it whenever the kitten you want.

I find the 1s a perfect amount of time and tbh between vigour, food, slotting appropriate sigils and adventure runes and taking suitable utilities, the evade uptime is excellent such that who cares if you managed to position out of an aoe with a single dodge - you can chain dodges into mirrors into whatever and not be touched while continuing to attack.

@Handi.1685 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@Handi.1685 said:

Blink can take you out from aoe too , and if targed is far away it dosent metter ,this is why dodge was better then this , and in the worst case you can use distortion.With crono it is walk in the park :) and i think you are the one with out imagination, not me .

Read my comment again.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@Levetty.1279 said:

@FaboBabo.3581 said:"Sword ambush - useless" - is a joke statement.

Not to mention a daze (which can be traited for a chance to stun). Every ability doesn't have to be about damage output...

@bart.3687 said:

It's called ambush, yet it's more of a utility kind of skill.I don't deny Mirage Thrust's usefulness in PvP, but in PvE it's absolutely worthless (but so are other ambushes tbh). It can't be used for damage, it can't be used for breakbars, not even as open world mobility tool since we got mounts. Edit: you said it can be used as a tool to get out of an aoe, but don't you think it's kinda sad that it's its only purpose?

It absolutely can be used for break bars. With three clones, you're applying 1 second worth of daze (1/4 x 4) and that's something you can easily do 3-4 times in fast succession if you plan for it. It's become one of my primary ways of dealing with break bars in the open world. And if you trait it with Confounding Suggestions, you're tossing another 1 second stun on top of that (perhaps two if the break bar doesn't have to be broken immediately) as well as applying a vulnerability.

I'd also argue against its uselessness as a gap closer in PvE as I used it regularly for just that reason. It's not rare I'm in an event where there are mobs all over the place and I can't mount up between combat. There are also a lot of events where mobility is key and being able to get in and out of fights is important. Sure, I can use Blink for that, but why sacrifice a utility slot for a 30 second Blink when I can use Mirage Thrust pretty much whenever I need it?

It's actually one of the most powerful ambushes we have, probably up there with axe's ability to stack tons of confusion.

Archived