I may not be the best nor the fastest PvPer

TheQuickFox.3826

…but losing all of my health in under one second? This is just ridiculous.

I can’t even try to fight back against this. (Me=Elementalist, competitor was Thief)Am I supposed to invest heavily in the toughness attribute as Elly?

In GW1, I used to own most assassins with a basic Searing Flames and Aura of Restoration build. Here I don't even have the time to heal myself. And even when I lost, I had enough health to stay in battle for quite some time while doing decent damage.

This promises something for PvPing with a deadeye against me.

Elementalist has the lowest base health and the lowest base toughness of any class. It's literally the only class with that combination. It's possible to play the squishier FA build, but that requires a lot of practice and much better management of your defensive cooldowns. Magi/Mender Auramancer is a much more common build for that reason.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:Remember condi thiev is the squishest too.i run power necro + minions, they die to minions ROFL.

The only way a sword thief will die to minions is if the thief is dumbest than the AI in this game.Just use infiltrator strike and retreat from a high/LoS point and have the minions run back and forth while you dps the necro down.

@OlrunTheBlade.1486 said:Elementalist has the lowest base health and the lowest base toughness of any class. It's literally the only class with that combination. It's possible to play the squishier FA build, but that requires a lot of practice and much better management of your defensive cooldowns. Magi/Mender Auramancer is a much more common build for that reason.

Small correction, elementalist has the lower health and armor of all classes.

Armor is a value that is listed on the hero panel. It is equal to Defense plus Toughness attribute, and will determine how much incoming damage will be reduced. Armor does not mitigate Condition Damage or falling damage.

Toughness is 1,000 base for all classes and the armor difference is due to the Defense difference between light, medium and heavy armor.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:…but losing all of my health in under one second? This is just ridiculous.

I can’t even try to fight back against this. (Me=Elementalist, competitor was Thief)Am I supposed to invest heavily in the toughness attribute as Elly?

In GW1, I used to own most assassins with a basic Searing Flames and Aura of Restoration build. Here I don't even have the time to heal myself. And even when I lost, I had enough health to stay in battle for quite some time while doing decent damage.

This promises something for PvPing with a deadeye against me.

I think its your build. I also found myself getting steamrolled when I played Ele (badly). But every Ele I run into seems to refuse to die. I watch them face 2v1s and last as longer or longer than most bunker builds.

Not to say they are OP or anything. I am sure they are just out skilling their opponents. But it seems if played properly the Ele can be quite strong and live through a lot.

Current build:

Still testing somewhat. I used to run core Elementalist S/D Fire/Water/Earth but I get the same issues there. I prefer Scepter primary because it gives some range and quick spellcasting and dagger secondary for the damage. Staff is too slow and dagger primary too short range.

I'm sure you can mention things that are considered to be better builds but that is not my point. My point is that no build should be able to get killed so quickly. (I will need to find a build that fits my play style anyways)

In WvW and PvE I run full ascended celestial, with this S/D build which is currently not available for PvP. But I don't know if it would prevent me from being nealy oneshotted.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I'm sure you can mention better builds but that is not my point. My point is that no build should be able to get killed so quickly. (I will need to find a build that fits my play style anyways)

I disagree with this statement rather strongly.1 - You don't die in less than one second, that's hyperbole so when you say "so quickly" it leaves it open to interpretation.

2- Just throwing together some yolo build should never work. Not saying that's what you're doing but to say "no build should be able to get killed so quickly" is inaccurate. Poorly constructed builds should be terrible. That's why I let all the smarter people make my builds for me and just tweak them. Because I am not very good at coming up with capable builds on my own, typically.3 - Different builds have different strengths and weaknesses and uses. A fractal build focused on high DPS might be effective against AI because you don't have to worry about survival and getting focused, just dodging mechanics and recovering from some unavoidable hit. But against players being made of glass is a good way to get splattered unless you are a very high mobility class like thief. And even then if they get caught they often get wrecked. You might be playing a build that is quite capable in pve or wvw that will be close to worthless in spvp. That doesn't mean there is a balance problem.

4 - If I see an ele standing out away from the fight flinging spells I tend to target that ele. Good chance he is build squishy or, if not, at least I am getting him out of his comfort zone because eles can wreak havoc if left unmolested.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:…but losing all of my health in under one second? This is just ridiculous.

Yep, burst dmg in PvP is just ridiculous. No time for thinking, the only thing that matters is who has faster fingers. That's why i prefer WoW PvP, where i always have time to react. This game is made for elitists only, that's why it is so unpopular. "But you should dodge". Oh yes, when fighting 3 vs 3 i always have a time to watch the moves of all my three opponents.

I realized that learning how to survive on my Staff ele is just a wasting of time. I only play easy professions in PvP, such as condi d/d thief or staff thief, condi mesmer, guardian, warrior sometimes. Ele is just not worth my effort. d/d you have a bit more survivability but i don't want to play a melee kind of mage. I can only play staff ele with mender amulet, so as support/healer, but even then i get better results with my support/healing guardian.

Archived