"Champion's End" plot "twists" and confusion (spoiler)

PseudoNewb.5468

59 minutes ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

It was in the story. Kormir herself mentions the reason why the gods left Tyria was because they knew any conflict between them and the Elder Dragons would either destroy Tyria, or destroy the Six

And it was a big thing throughout LWS3, PoF, and LWS4, that the conflicts with these ancient, powerful, Elder Dragons, and us killing them, was causing massive devastation to the world. Unbound and Volatile magic appearing everywhere, ley infused creatures terrorizing the world, rifts in reality horrors from the Mists were crawling out of.

Ok, let me try again. I know it exists in the story. I am agreeing with you that the premise is realistic and belongs in the story! I am critiquing how the writer's approached this example of the premise.

Because the All isn't an intelligent entity that can communicate its exact functions to the people connected to it, and Aurene isn't an omnipotent creature who knows how everything works.

And there is no "false" picture and a "real" picture. This just sounds like attempted pseudo-intellectual nonsense. Aurene is a sane Elder Dragon. Jormag showed the capacity for rational thought, and conversation, previously, as well as made comments about how this cycle of destruction didn't always exist. If this cycle didn't always exist, and at least one Elder Dragon could possible be rational, why wouldn't you you to try to explore the possibility of fixing the balance without killing all the other Elder Dragons?

Especially when you don't know, as Aurene didn't, if you alone could take in all of the magic power from the other Elder Dragons, and maintain it entirely by yourself? Aurene attempted to explore a rational alternative method of doing her job without as much killing, and risk. That's perfectly reasonable, and not just a plot stall.

The All needs a specific configuration for balance or it doesn't. Our understanding of All balance is either true or false. Honestly, by this point, the concept of balance has become too hand wavy to interrogate.

She certainly kept claiming she learned a lot about the All, mortals couldn't even begin to understand it. She absolutely learned her nature opened new possibilities. She wasn't born and trained to stabilize or balance the All. She was intended to help mortals. Instead, she insists on trying to maintain the status quo? How is Aurene advancing this hypothetical plan besides telling everyone not to trust Jormag and sparring with Jormag? Is she doing anything besides advancing a plan for their deaths? She deprives her people of critical information about herself until the last moment. We can realistically and organically stall her entry into the fight but we can't do the same with her knowledge and her relationship with her people.

edit: At some point the Commander, filled with frustration with Aurene, asks Aurene if she will kill. She responds, Yea but don't worry, something will come up. That line only makes sense if there is a lot of other stalling dialog. It is from the very bottom of the stalling dialog barrel. I cringed when I came across it and then my heart went to person responsible. They knew and hated what they were doing to Aurene and her relationship with her Champion.

Edited by Psientist.6437
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Zola.6197 said:

Except the writing NEVER makes this clear.

Was clear enough for me,

Aurene: Energy this volatile... I fear my presence would only exacerbate things...

Story Journal: I urged Aurene to join the fight, but she declined. In her view, having a third Elder Dragon meddling with volatile magic could destabilize everything further.

3 hours ago, Plagiarised.2865 said:

Was clear enough for me,

Who do you think you’re kidding? None of that says anything about Bangar. It’s just more of the vagaries I already mentioned.

Also if you think one — again, very vague — line from Aurene and two sentences in a story journal most players ignore is sufficient writing, there’s not much pointing having a conversation on quality storytelling or character development with you.

• Like 2

Sajuuk Khar said: 

Aurene's hesitation is a direct response to seeing how interacting has lead to all the problems thus far.

and You said 

Except the writing NEVER makes this clear.

And I'm saying it was clear enough for me. I'm not talking about Bangar, at all.

11 hours ago, Zola.6197 said:

Also if you think one — again, very vague — line from Aurene

It was not vague at all

Energy = magic

volatile = something changing rapidly and unpredictably, especially for the worse.

Was very clear.

11 hours ago, Zola.6197 said:

in a story journal most players ignore is sufficient writing

I am talking about my views, just as you can only talk about yours. What "most players" do is data you and I will never have.

Edited by Plagiarised.2865