[Suggestion] Real Open World

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I have no experience with how WoW works, so I'll let others chime in on that point.  Other MMOs I've played all have maps sectioned off.  /shrug

Anyway, good luck with your suggestion.

Phasing is an unrelated technology. It allows players to see the world differently based on quest state.

For example if GW2 had phasing and LS1 was in game ...

- players that haven't completed LS1/have it active would enter the old LA when they go to LA

- players that have completed LS1 would enter the new LA

I am sure there are people who want that as well but it is a completely separate feature.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 9:27 PM, Baine.9650 said:

Maybe for gw3, because the arena transitions is actually an infrastructure choice, and you can't change those well into the lifetime of a game.

I dislike open world - too much latency issues. Look at WvW. Its a huge map, but lags often in large scale fights if you don't have a monster PC, and 80% of the fights in wvw is large scale.

Just feels to me that theres a tradeoff between** gameplay experience and immersion due to technical limits and I rather have a game thats fun

Why do people think there will be a GW3? WoW never made a wow2 and its been going longer. I dont think there will be a GW3 what would change, virtual reality?

As for open world, wow does have an amazing open world you can travel and its crazy open. You can literally cross zone borders by walking its fluid and feels like a living world in that way. But i dont think they have the real estate Blizzard has to allow that large of a world open.

Edited by Zuldari.3940

1 hour ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Why do people think there will be a GW3? WoW never made a wow2 and its been going longer. I dont think there will be a GW3 what would change, virtual reality?

There's several reasons: It makes an engine overhaul easier as they don't need to redo previous models or deal with broken coding; It lets them restart the story where they want; It lets devs have a fresh start after learning what not to do without having to work around/correct past mistakes; Arenanet has already gone from GW1 to GW2 because they couldn't do what they wanted in GW1 due to limitations of the engine.

There's downsides too, of course, but GW3 isn't out of the question. What WoW does is irrelevant due to the last point on that list. Other MMOs have also revamped themselves: Final Fantasy XIV years ago, Phantasy Star Online 2 just released New Genesis, MapleStory 2. There's also Planetside 2, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch 2.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Some developers stick to an MMO/online-only game and refuse to even consider doing a sequel using modern tech and coding due to the risks involved. Others choose to do a sequel despite the risks because there's also potential of a higher payout and a longer-lived game.

Arenanet is the latter so a GW3 isn't out of the question. Maybe not in the immediate future given how they're working on GW2's engine now, but at some point.

• Like 1

Maybe each area could have a transition cut scene from one map to the other, making it look like you are entering a new area. During which the next map loads without taking you from the world.

Myself I would much like to have more ways to get into maps by venturing on foot. Like Grothmar Valley in icebrood saga. You should be able to go from Grothmar to Bjora by walking, and somehow have a way to get to Drizzlewood coast. I don’t like how they separated each map into their own separate area not connected to everything. They could do the same with sirens landing to the rest of orr, and Fields of ruin to the crystal desert. Verdant Brink to Bloodstone fen. I could probably go on and on. They should have implentented far more maps in the far shiverpeaks in the area around eye of the north and have everything connected.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dark Red Killian.3946 said:

Myself I would much like to have more ways to get into maps by venturing on foot. Like Grothmar Valley in icebrood saga. You should be able to go from Grothmar to Bjora by walking, and somehow have a way to get to Drizzlewood coast. I don’t like how they separated each map into their own separate area not connected to everything. They could do the same with sirens landing to the rest of orr, and Fields of ruin to the crystal desert. Verdant Brink to Bloodstone fen. I could probably go on and on. 

This.  I'd rather see the currently story-gated sections of map opened up first.  And given that there's a fair amount of map that hasn't been developed at all, I would think any kind of change to transitions in the map would come after they've finished filling it in, even if such a change was possible, and it was a change they were willing to make.

• Like 1