Japanese Language Input Support 日本語

皆さん!こんにちは!🙃

Hello everyone!

As you know, I am studying Japanese and I have some Japanese friends who I like to type Japanese to in game. The problem is GW2 doesn't support Japanese Hiragana/Katakana and Kanji fonts. It saddens me when I can't interact and learn a language with friends while playing the MMO I call home.

Please consider allowing full Japanese input so that we can practice communicating with each other while playing the game we love. FF11 and FF14 are MMOs that allow both Japanese and English players to communicate so why can't GW2?

Thank you for your time!

有難うございます!

Gw2を一緒に遊びながら日本語を学びましょう!🥳

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

FF11 and FF14 are MMOs that allow both Japanese and English players to communicate so why can't GW2?

For the same reason why FF XIV does not support many other language diacritics. Generally both games support the languages for their language versions (and here the difference is that FF XIV does have a Japanese version, while GW2 does not), and some additional langages that got added in probably mostly accidentally. In example, GW2 does support a lot of EU languages' special diacritics (if they are something added to basic latin letters package), but FF XIV does not support many of those.

Why both games just don't go UTF-8 with full language tables, i have no idea, but at this moment for some reason neither of them did. Both have languages they support in chat, and ones they don't.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1

There is no Japanese version of GW2, so there's no incentive to have the support build into the game.

Most Japanese players play on U.S.A. servers and thus I'd prefer them to write English in public chats,

even if I can read Japanese to some degree.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

There is no Japanese version of GW2, so there's no incentive to have the support build into the game.

Most Japanese players play on U.S.A. servers and thus I'd prefer them to write English in public chats,

even if I can read Japanese to some degree.

There is no polish, turkish, hangarian.. version of GW2 and yet people in EU servers use these langauges to type in public chats.

Your personal preference is irrelevant here because there are many foreign guilds that feel handicaped and forced to use a language that isn't theirs to communicate. As for the public chat, if you see something written in another langage you could simply do as EU players do: Pretend that you never saw it.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, trixantea.1230 said:

There is no polish, turkish, hangarian.. version of GW2 and yet people in EU servers use these langauges to type in public chats.

Prior to the system the EU servers had their designated languages.

There were German servers, French servers etc.

But now, instead of having one Mega-Server for each supported language, they are all mixed together.

This is a big flaw with the mega-server system.

And those languages you mentioned being usable is just a by-product of using Roman, unlike Japanese which uses neither the Roman set nor the Chinese one (even if there is much overlap).

But just because languages can use systems already in place, while still not being supported, doesn't mean Arenanet has to add more sets of letters. Also, Japanese can simply use the official romanization of their language.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

11 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Prior to the system the EU servers had their designated languages.

There were German servers, French servers etc.

But now, instead of having one Mega-Server for each supported language, they are all mixed together.

This is a big flaw with the mega-server system.

And those languages you mentioned being usable is just a by-product of using Roman, unlike Japanese which uses neither the Roman set nor the Chinese one (even if there is much overlap).

But just because languages can use systems already in place, while still not being supported, doesn't mean Arenanet has to add more sets of letters. Also, Japanese can simply use the official romanization of their language.

Official Romanization that no Japanese people use. It's the most hated writing system for a reason. It doesn't work well for Japanese language. Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji makes Japanese easier to read when  used together.

I also agree with trixantea.1230

I think ArenaNet can easily add input support if they use Japanese IME.

I would like them to allow any script really.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

23 hours ago, DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

皆さん!こんにちは!🙃

Hello everyone!

As you know, I am studying Japanese and I have some Japanese friends who I like to type Japanese to in game. The problem is GW2 doesn't support Japanese Hiragana/Katakana and Kanji fonts. It saddens me when I can't interact and learn a language with friends while playing the MMO I call home.

Please consider allowing full Japanese input so that we can practice communicating with each other while playing the game we love. FF11 and FF14 are MMOs that allow both Japanese and English players to communicate so why can't GW2?

Thank you for your time!

有難うございます!

Gw2を一緒に遊びながら日本語を学びましょう!🥳

Not to be a party pooper here but those changes may be more difficult to apply than just adding the charset to the game. If the databases aren't compatible with non-ascii characters there could be a lot of issues. 

I am not saying is not doable, just it would take a lot of effort and i'd like to get those juicy performance optimizations first. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 4:26 PM, trixantea.1230 said:

Yes, there's support for polish, turkish, hungarian, but no japanese. In FF XIV brought up as an example, there's support for japanese... but not for polish, turkish, hungarian...

So, which is actually better?

On 7/4/2021 at 4:26 PM, trixantea.1230 said:

Your personal preference is irrelevant here

As opposed to YOUR personal preference, because reasons, right? 🙃 

Luckily neither you nor OP seem to have any problems communicating with other players by typing in english, so I guess... In the end your personal preference doesn't matter here either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

40 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yes, there's support for polish, turkish, hungarian, but no japanese. In FF XIV brought up as an example, there's support for japanese... but not for polish, turkish, hungarian...

So, which is actually better?

Is there actual support for those three languages, or are they just usable as a by-product of using the same letters as supported languages?

Edited by Fueki.4753

41 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Is there actual support for those three languages, or are they just usable as a by-product of using the same letters as supported languages?

In gw2? I'm not sure for what specific languages it holds, but for at least some you do have a full chat support (meaning, you can use also diacritics that are not part of any officially supported languages)

Like ęóąśłżźćń for polish,

ýžáčďéěíňóřšťúů for czech

áéíöóőüúű for hungarian

âçğıİîöşüû for turkish

Correct me if i made a mistake somewhere - i just checked the language tables for those three (and czech, because i remembered someone mentioning it is also supported) and entered the letters that didn't look like basic ascii set in gw2 chat, and they all worked.

I'm quite sure that most of those letters are not used in german, french or spanish languages.

Notice, that most of those letters do not work in FF XIV (although i think that a few of them do - perhaps they overlap with some other language)

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

As opposed to YOUR personal preference, because reasons, right? 🙃 

Luckily neither you nor OP seem to have any problems communicating with other players by typing in english, so I guess... In the end your personal preference doesn't matter here either.

So you've come to the thread only to tell me this? Your mediocre comment adds nothing to the discussion.
Me knowing English doesn't mean that all people who play GW2 know it. It seems that you can't make the differnce between a logial argument and a personal preference. Sigh.

3 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

In gw2? I'm not sure for what specific languages it holds, but for at least some you do have a full chat support (meaning, you can use also diacritics that are not part of any officially supported languages)

Like ęóąśłżźćń for polish,

ýžáčďéěíňóřšťúů for czech

áéíöóőüúű for hungarian

âçğıİîöşüû for turkish

Correct me if i made a mistake somewhere - i just checked the language tables for those three (and czech, because i remembered someone mentioning it is also supported) and entered the letters that didn't look like basic ascii set in gw2 chat, and they all worked.

I'm quite sure that most of those letters are not used in german, french or spanish languages.

Notice, that most of those letters do not work in FF XIV (although i think that a few of them do - perhaps they overlap with some other language)

What you're saying is rational, convincing and can be helpful to many foreign people/communities but Anet is too way lazy to make significant improvements to its game. Arguing with people who "prefer people to write English only in public" and answering  their egocentric whims is also a waste of time.

Edited by trixantea.1230
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, trixantea.1230 said:

So you've come to the thread only to tell me this? Your comment adds nothing to the discussion.
Also,.. it doesn't seem that you can make a differnce between a logial argument and a personal preference. Sigh.

...but that was the equivalent of what you've said to someone else, how is this ok for you to do, but not ok for me to do? Was I wrong there? Or maybe it's not about me being right or wrong, but just you disliking being told what you said someone else when it doesn't support your personal preference (which, by your own words is apparently irrelevant)? 🤔

You play the game that doesn't support the language you want to see in chat. To play this game, it's reasonable to expect that you're supposed to understand what that game "tells you", if only for the very reason of understanding the concepts it explains to you. If you understand that, then you can communicate in that language. If you can communicate in that language, then I guess there's no necessity to implement more languages. Logical enough? Cool.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

12 minutes ago, trixantea.1230 said:

What you're saying is rational, convincing and can be helpful to many foreign people/communities but Anet is too way lazy to make significant improvements to its game.

Notice, how i mentioned that other games, that we do know are getting significant improvements to them (in this example, FF XIV) are not better than GW2 in that regard? I assume there is a reason for that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, trixantea.1230 said:

What you're saying is rational, convincing and can be helpful to many foreign people/communities but Anet is too way lazy to make significant improvements to its game.

Anet isn't lazy.  It's a business decision.  Apparently, they don't believe that it would "make significant improvements" to the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Anet isn't lazy.  It's a business decision.  Apparently, they don't believe that it would "make significant improvements" to the game.

I would argue that it does make significant improvements to the game. By allowing people to use Japanese input to communicate with each other as an option improves the game's social aspect significantly for those who wish to communicate and socialize with each other in that way. This is an MMO after all and social interactions is a big part of this genre. In fact, I say the more language input they allow the better the experience overall. And what would even improve the game even further is adding an option in the settings menu to allow individuals to filter foreign languages if they do not want to see it in public chat.

Edited by DreamyAbaddon.3265
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

I would argue that it does make significant improvements to the game. By allowing people to use Japanese input to communicate with each other as an option improves the game's social aspect significantly for those who wish to communicate and socialize with each other in that way. This is an MMO after all and social interactions is a big part of this genre. In fact, I say the more language input they allow the better the experience overall. And what would even improve the game even further is allowing a setting that filters / censors foreign languages for those who do not know other languages and do not want to see other languages in public chat.

I disagree.  Significant is very subjective.

Adding more languages might, in my opinion, further segregate the player base which would reduce social interactions to dedicated groups whereas the limit of current languages forces interaction on a larger scale.  In my opinion, this would not enhance the experience.

Good luck with your request.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

I would argue that it does make significant improvements to the game. By allowing people to use Japanese input to communicate with each other as an option improves the game's social aspect significantly for those who wish to communicate and socialize with each other in that way. This is an MMO after all and social interactions is a big part of this genre. In fact, I say the more language input they allow the better the experience overall. And what would even improve the game even further is allowing a setting that filters / censors foreign languages for those who do not know other languages and do not want to see other languages in public chat.

You play the game that's in 3 languages, you understand and can speak those languages. Making a choice to use language you know majority of community won't understand isn't an improvement in mmorpg.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I disagree.  Significant is very subjective.

Adding more languages might, in my opinion, further segregate the player base which would reduce social interactions to dedicated groups whereas the limit of current languages forces interaction on a larger scale.  In my opinion, this would not enhance the experience.

Good luck with your request.

I disagree. More options do enhance the game. People should always have a choice in how they interact with each other. But you and I are both entitled to our opinions.

Take care.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

You play the game that's in 3 languages, you understand and can speak those languages. Making a choice to use language you know majority of community won't understand isn't an improvement in mmorpg.

Not everyone who plays GW2 actually is good at English. Allowing people to use the languages they prefer to interact with others who can speak the language they know is improvement and does enhance the MMORPG experience social aspect. That is what I believe anyways.

To be honest, I am jealous that FF14 allows people to speak Japanese and English and I wish it was in this game since I don't like FF14 as a whole. If I had a choice to interact in Japanese with my Japanese friends, that would certainly improve my GW2 experience greatly. It's like a huge cherry on top. So sorry but I really disagree.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

Not everyone who plays GW2 actually is good at English. Allowing people to use the languages they prefer to interact with others who can speak the language they know is improvement and does enhance the MMORPG experience social aspect. That is what I believe anyways.

How do they learn how to play it or understand anything in the ui? And I was talking about you as an example, meanwhile you choose to dodge that and go into "protecting the others" that for most part are just kind of "a hypothetical" here? Also dodged the fact that it's not exactly an improvement in mmorpg as it only further separates the community?

You can also always interact with your friends in japanese through voice communicators.

I definitely don't need to have the ingame chat look like this:

緒に遊びながら日本語を学びましょう緒に遊びながら日本語を学びましょう

緒に遊びながら日本語を学びましょう

So thanks, but "no, thanks".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4