Some of us are getting game crashes while trying to fight world bosses

The culprits for me were:

Modniir Ulgoth, my game crashed before/shortly after the pre event started.
I logged back in and completed the event without any further issues.

Megadestroyer., my game crashed during the pre event for this boss and again minutes later as soon as the boss spawned.

The Flame Elemental boss was also bugged and the pre event didn't work but that's unrelated, figured i'd mention it though.

I've asked in chat and it's not just me getting these crashes, a few players confirmed the same thing was happening to them as well.
No idea why this is happening but I did submit reports for every crash as requested.

• Like 1

My game still keeps crashing, usually after a few moments in combat. I was doing some crafts and inventory management for half an hour in city and nothing happened. Started fighting some mobs --> crash in less than a minute. 

Another thing happened at pvp when 2 of my teammates (including me) crashed at the same time.

I asked if they use arc but they said they don't.

Personally I used it months ago, but decided it's not worth the bother when it keeps crashing every major update. So I have removed it like half year ago. 

The crashes are happening since tuesday update.

Edited by Ronnie.2164

10 minutes ago, Ronnie.2164 said:

My game still keeps crashing, usually after a few moments in combat. I was doing some crafts and inventory management for half an hour in city and nothing happened. Started fighting some mobs --> crash in less than a minute. 

Another thing happened at pvp when 2 of my teammates (including me) crashed at the same time.

I asked if they use arc but they said they don't.

Personally I used it months ago, but decided it's not worth the bother when it keeps crashing every major update. So I have removed it like half year ago. 

The crashes are happening since tuesday update.

try a repair maybe something have been corrupted.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201863008-Repairing-the-Game-Client

Same problem, only world bosses, but luckily, it seems to be after they're defeated and I get the chest.  I figured, actually, it was just the huge number of people with the world boss rush.  Seems to have calmed down after this last update this evening, but I could have just gotten lucky with the bosses.

same problem : repeat crashes on WB fights every time there is intense animations and sound effects : 
culprits : Tequatl (directly on boss), Dragonstorm (On  both Ryland and Bram), Karka Queen, Great Jungle Wyrm, Shatterer
Especially in Dragonstorm I get a series of "delayed"  character sounds if I log back in. 

ARC is not installed.  Oh yes Disk checked (it's a SSD) GW 2 software repaired and the PC is sufficently muscular to run the game (Athlon 5 3600, 32 GB RAM, Gforce 1060.... so definitely not a hardware issue)
Pls fix, it makes the current world boss rush really " a one time experience"

Edited by achwas.6190

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add to the discussion that my game has also been crashing during large fights with lots of inputs during WvW for about 2-3 weeks now, it was worse at the start. I tried to return to a previous restore point, uninstall my drivers, reinstalled my game a few times, uninstalled archdps and dx12 mod.  the game was moving well a month ago and I have a decently good cpu/gpu for the game.  It began to be playable after I did some of those tweeks but then it came back eventually.  FPS has been dipping to 20fps during engages and probably a lot lower during those really large scale fights. again i mention, i use to have non of these issues before and i use to run on mostly high settings.  I had to dip all my settings to almost completely low setting.  I haven't tried the disable highlighted skill suggestion going around, but since im at work now, i thought I'd write about this and test that later.

I know WvW isn't the best example of this since WvW servers have been an issue for years, but it was fine for me personally until recently. the game crashing is becoming a constant for me whenever i log in for a fight.

update 8/20/21

havent had a crash the last 2 days since i disabled the highlighted skill suggestion but it also hasnt been incredibly busy in WvW to be certain, I can also still feel some sluggishness in the gameplay. still not back to what my normal experience was before this began a couple weeks ago. Not sure if anything is changing in the server backend.

Tonight will be the real test since WvW reset will happen. I will keep you updated.

2nd update 8/20/21

I was able to play decently well for a bit with group fights that were between 30-50.

once i switched to EBG to fight server queue size groups tho, I definitely still crashed once the fight started and everyone was in the heat of pressing skills.
server queue was 50 to get back in, so i gave up and turned my game off after that.

please continue to look for a fix arenanet 😕

update 8/26/21

so i finally caved and restored my unit and it has been running back to normal for me. Not sure exactly what fixed it but if i had to narrow it down, it might have been the video drivers or some deep corruption between the game and/or OS. for reference on the video drivers, I have an amd radeon 5700xt running currently running recommended drivers. I did feel the optional drivers may have effected it somehow but might not have been the main cause.

Best of luck to those still having issues, I'll come back if for some reason the issue reappears o/

Edited by Rylinn.6728
updating experience

Yesterday, had  game crashes in WvW. Some of the players were on beta toons... not sure if that had anything to do with it or not. I have never had a problem crashing in WvW and generally in the game overall. Yesterday, I crashed twice within a few minutes before giving up. 

I had the game crash yesterday while doing Great Jungle Wyrm (at approx 80% health). My skills were going activating with some lag, but was not seeing anything in the combat log. Logged back in and it was already dead. Gave up on world bosses and did some exploration. No issues while doing general exploration.

There were a lot beta characters at the event. Not sure if that contributed to it.

Maybe this is happening in openworld aswell?

Guild Wars 2

@GuildWars2

17. aug.

We're aware of a crash issue in fractals and strikes and we're working on a fix. In the meantime, you can avoid the problem by turning on "Disable Skill Highlighting" in the Combat/Movement section of General Options.

• Like 1

As far as i can say, crashes are related to the presence of beta characters and theirs character model loading. I had few crashes by left-cliking on beta character while that character's model wasn't loaded\shown for my view ( Character Model Limit - Lowest ). Targeted Character model has priority over all others. Sadly there is no option to fully disable other character models to be loaded to your view. And in big crowds your game will constantly load\reload closest characters, including beta characters.

P.S. i would pay extra for Character Model Limit - 'Target Only' or 'Do not Load' options.

Edited by Aeon.4583

Yesterday it was 4 crashes in succession trying to do the Wolf Crossing fight in Drizzlewood.   I was running Launchbuddy but with only 1 account.  Gave up and went to bed.

Today had no issues this morning.  Played for 5 hours on both main and later on 3 accounts / launchbuddy.  Just got back at 3pm though and have suffered 4 more crashes trying to finish my wvw dailies.  The first 3 times I was unable to even load into BGBL without a crash window appearance.  The 4th time I loaded into desertBL and swapped to EBG and played for 10 mins before the game went poof again.

Oh and for completeness in responding to previous suggestions this thread, :

1) No arcps installed

2) No beta characters created

3) yesterdays crashes the disable skill highlighting was off, but today it was switched to on.

So nothing above explains the sudden failings to run a stable game lately.

Edit - on restarting I got a message saying the last time the game crashed do to an error in "in-game data" and asked me to repair the data archive.  That is in progress at the moment

Edited by Aku Punksha.4895
As above

• 6 months later...