[Solved] This account has been blocked for security purposes. [Merged]

I use Exitlag to reduce ping from my geolocation to NA servers for the last 2 years.

Yesterday, I suddenly got blocked with the message "This account has been blocked for security purposes."

Does anyone else experience any sudden blocks?

I created a support ticket and I haven't got any reply from support as of yet.

Adding CS response:

They replied saying my account has been compromised with a third party gaining access to the account.

Asked me to reset the password, I did with a far stronger one.

Asked me to add MFA, which I already have.

In terms of Exitlag or similar software, "We are aware that many of our players that connect from outside North America use ping-lowering proxy services to reduce their latency. While we do not expressly prohibit the use of these services, we advise our customers to use them at their own risk. The account may be blocked and subject to review especially if the proxy you use has a history of suspicious activity."

Final take: Arena Net servers may flag our accounts for using these VPNs and at the end of the day, better safe than sorry.

Edited by codedbykush.2019
Added CS Response

16 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Yes, some players that use VPNs (which are perfectly legal, and even encouraged) fall prey to the automated security sweeps.

The CS Team will assist you.  Volume is high, at this time, so it may be a bit longer than normal (72 hours).

Hopefully. I was wondering if the EOD preorder had anything to do with the block.

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Yes, some players that use VPNs (which are perfectly legal, and even encouraged) fall prey to the automated security sweeps.

The CS Team will assist you.  Volume is high, at this time, so it may be a bit longer than normal (72 hours).

If that is true, then I find it a bit scary that automation has been given so much power of doing permbans without a human verifying them first.

IRL we have judges for a reason.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

even judges make mistakes. my aunt and uncle got perma banned recently when they didn't do anything wrong. all accounts were in his name so they lost them all. they played since the beginning (gw1 and 2) daily, really great players. all they will tell him was  it "appears" a third party program was used and wont discuss it any further, they have never used one. he emailed them many times with no replies.

Edited by kitrina.4790
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jatotis.4612 said:

This happened to me about 24hrs ago, I also use Exitlag and have done so for the last year. Have submitted my ticket as well. Just wanted to add my voice to this thread.

Thanks for adding your voice.

I was experiencing downgraded service experience with Exitlag over the last month or so. I'm not sure if it is Anet services or Exitlag issues.

On 7/31/2021 at 4:20 PM, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

If that is true, then I find it a bit scary that automation has been given so much power of doing permbans without a human verifying them first.

IRL we have judges for a reason.

its automation of a game that triggers on location changes if too often or if ran into unfortunate case of a blacklisted vpn ip, kinda good to have considering its how attacks are usually ran towards a company, if they had to verify this all the time there would be no time developing EoD or anything else, in  my head from a judge to a game is a far distance and it is 2 way different subjects.

without the automation u probably wouldnt be able to play at all because they would have to deal with alot of unnecessary stuff that this socalled automation deals with .

3 hours ago, Valzacard.1028 said:

My alt account which has the game since pre-hot was blocked but my main account wasn't blocked for security issues. 

Where's the logic in that? I've support the game since near launch and this is the type of stunt ANet pulls on loyal players?

I had the same issue with my main account on Friday and created a support ticket. It seems those of us who use VPNs to reduce ping or packet loss has been targeted by the Anet security checks.

CS replied a few hours ago and asked from which countries I'm connecting.

Let's see if I get any remedy. 

Just an update, have been contacted by support and had the block removed. I will no longer be using a vpn to improve ping. For me personally it is not worth the risk of this happening again as I have invested a vast amount of time into GW2 and 30-80 ms gained is not worth the stress. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, codedbykush.2019 said:

I had the same issue with my main account on Friday and created a support ticket. It seems those of us who use VPNs to reduce ping or packet loss has been targeted by the Anet security checks.

CS replied a few hours ago and asked from which countries I'm connecting.

Let's see if I get any remedy. 

Good luck!

I suspect it might be due to me paying for EoD with my alt account's email on my main account. but I haven't back yet so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Your best path to a solution is to open a support ticket if you did not do already. Support does not usually read the forums.

I've already opened the ticket, I'm waiting for a response from support, and thanks for letting me know.

6 hours ago, Jatotis.4612 said:

Just an update, have been contacted by support and had the block removed. I will no longer be using a vpn to improve ping. For me personally it is not worth the risk of this happening again as I have invested a vast amount of time into GW2 and 30-80 ms gained is not worth the stress. 

In the reply to me, the CS team said that my account was compromised and they decided that I should change my password and add MFA to my account.

The issue is I have already a very strong password, 2FA with SMS verification.

According to security.org, it would take 2 million years to crack my password.

What I'm trying to say is that, according to the response I got, my VPNs were not the response of their security sweep.

I'm going to inquire about the VPNs soon.

• Like 1

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to This account has been blocked for security purposes. [Merged]
  • codedbykush.2019 changed the title to [Solved] This account has been blocked for security purposes. [Merged]

Adding CS response:

They replied saying my account has been compromised with a third party gaining access to the account.

Asked me to reset the password, I did with a far stronger one.

Asked me to add MFA, which I already have.

In terms of Exitlag or similar software, "We are aware that many of our players that connect from outside North America use ping-lowering proxy services to reduce their latency. While we do not expressly prohibit the use of these services, we advise our customers to use them at their own risk. The account may be blocked and subject to review especially if the proxy you use has a history of suspicious activity."

Final take: Arena Net servers may flag our accounts for using these VPNs and at the end of the day, better safe than sorry.

• Like 1