What's the point of Transcendence?

On 8/11/2021 at 12:37 AM, decease.3215 said:

Why build lendary at all if you dont care for effect? 

Convenience. Legendaries are now account-bound, have their own storage, fully customizable without spending resources. I have not needed to buy or craft any runes after getting legendary runes. Definitely worth the investment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some people really don't like having to do the story or PvE activities in general and would rather spend more gold to get a legendary by doing PvP, especially since you can get everything you need, including gold, by playing PvP.

It's similar to what already happens with the backpacks and armour. I think getting legendary armour from raids and a backpack from Fractals is the quickest option, PvP is the cheapest but people still make both in WvW because it's what they prefer doing so for them it's less effort than switching to, preparing for and learning a new game mode to grind out basically the same reward by a method they like less.

(Which is how I ended up making my least favourite of the 3 legendary backpacks. The PvP one looks nicest, followed by Fractals, but the WvW one is the only one I'm likely to finish. I'm just under halfway on the tickets required and once I've got those everything else will be easy.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Who should they cater to? The 10% of the population that predominantly PvPs?  That would be a pretty bad business decision one would think.

Or cater to all players. Catering to only 1 crowd is probably also not the best business decision. The point of transendance was to put a carrot to grow the pvp crowd, there was presentation at some industry game conference where gw2 devs talked about directly how they try to grow the "lean" pvp community by putting rewards that would benefit them in pve. Maybe someone can find that recording, it was after the wardrobe update because that sited that as a data point of a huge "lean" player growth.  If you grow the lean, some people will stick around and grow your pvp community. 

Unfortunately, this forum is infested with people who constantly complain if any release or reward that is not open world even if it designed for lean players not hardcore. You even made a thread complaining about strikes, content designed to create a lean raid community to grow the hardcore raid community. This create a false sense that raids and pvp is inaccessible which is not true.  Transendance requires 120 pvp win, and mmr will force you a 50 50 win rate no matter how bad you are.

Edited by Shadowmoon.7986
Inaccessible instead of accessible
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

21 hours ago, genjonah.1253 said:

yes, the new one (seemingly, we still have two weeks to go for them to give us a curveball) does cost less in gold (potentially zero, if memory serves correctly and again no curveballs in the remaining two weeks). But it is not a ‘free’ legendary. There is significant amount of work required to do it- jumping puzzles, the entirety of four seasons worth of story, significant map completion of over a dozen maps, successful completion of a bunch of metas (and several side quests, looking at the Djinn in season 4) and more. Yes, for many of us, a lot of the content will be ‘easy’, but it’s still a significant time dump. 

It is still nowhere near the time dump required for the WvW or PvP trinket. And that's considering you only do 1 return achievement per day which takes what, 1-2 hours a day at max for 3 weeks, less if you do several achievements per day ? (which you totally can, especially the first ones). And you also get a massive rewards bonus for completing them. As well as no gold (debatable) or specific items for gifts, no need to level up crafting specs.

The argument that new players have to purchase episodes is valid, but knowing how many times they were and probably will be given for free again, that's kinda moot too, even more so if you note that most players won't be buying them just for the legendary but also for the mounts, various LS items, achievements and all that. Legendary is a very pleasant bonus.

And saying it requires any resemblance of effort or rather time investment compared to the other ones is just yikes. Everyone should consider it as a Christmas gift from Anet.

Edited by Kondor.2904

6 hours ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

Or cater to all players. Catering to only 1 crowd is probably also not the best business decision. The point of transendance was to put a carrot to grow the pvp crowd, there was presentation at some industry game conference where gw2 devs talked about directly how they try to grow the "lean" pvp community by putting rewards that would benefit them in pve. Maybe someone can find that recording, it was after the wardrobe update because that sited that as a data point of a huge "lean" player growth.  If you grow the lean, some people will stick around and grow your pvp community. 

Unfortunately, this forum is infested with people who constantly complain if any release or reward that is not open world even if it designed for lean players not hardcore. You even made a thread complaining about strikes, content designed to create a lean raid community to grow the hardcore raid community. This create a false sense that raids and pvp is inaccessible which is not true.  Transendance requires 120 pvp win, and mmr will force you a 50 50 win rate no matter how bad you are.

PvPers can still get transcendence without doing the very very long quest chain that is Seasons of the Dragons and a good portion of it, they can get from only PvPing.  It's still there and PvP players can still get it. If PvP players really don't enjoy PvEing they don't have to do much PvE.

• Like 3

They showed the pve amulet effect on the latest stream, it looks very different to the pvp one. I personally crafted the wvw and pvp balls as a personal homage to my dedication for those 2 game modes so I am perfectly happy. I don't really care if people don't like them, they still make me happy :)

• Like 1