Core Glass Cannon Staff Ele for SPVP (October 2017) — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Core Glass Cannon Staff Ele for SPVP (October 2017)

Liberis.9573Liberis.9573 Member ✭✭
edited November 1, 2019 in Elementalist

Hello everyone, Qwahzi here!

Here is a quick update to my core glass cannon staff Elementalist build for spvp:

• Switched from Signet of Restoration to Arcane Brilliance for the blast finisher
  • Glyph of Elementals for the passive DPS/utility
  • Marauder Amulet if you want (I still prefer Berserker's Amulet)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQFAWnMIClMgtMA+MA0RgBCArWDphxQUACALAZSOBKBA-jpQOABAs/QvlBAA

Good luck, have fun! :)

-Qwahzi

EDIT - October 2019:
Switched to "One with Air" instead of "Ferocious Winds"

Qwahzi Elemental (Glass Staff)

Comments

• cursE.1794cursE.1794 Member ✭✭✭

Played this build before HoT when it was even stronger with immobilize signet of earth. Extremely fun when you instagib an opponent, extremely frustrating in an actual fight because of its limited defensive capabilities. If a mesmer wants you dead, you're dead. If a thief wants you dead, you're dead. No thanks. Scepter/focus is a better option.

• That's kind of true, since this build is not meant for 1v1, but it's still doable if all your abilities are up. You have so many disables, dodges, shields, and heals (through abilities, combos, & traits) that you can usually get pretty close to winning a 1v1, or at least get people to back off (especially with how much damage you do at the same time).

If you playing smart and focused (no 1v1s, no point capping, no reviving), it's fairly easy to survive with Marauders amulet. You have to make sure you play pretty far back, and run away as soon as someone sees you. Waste their time. The enemy team will be forced to spend a ton of time constantly chasing you down, and your team can usually help at that point.

• I hit platinum again this season. Went from Bronze to Platinum with nothing but solo queuing this glass staff build. Definitely my favorite build :)

• Fire traits doesn't really offer anything in pvp...nothing has real impact on whatever ele build. I would replace fire completely with water traits. I imagine that you try to get might stacks...but it's too easy remove them in this meta

I love arcane immobilize options but can't imagine doing pvp without lighting flash

So if i would run this it would like this:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQFAWhUMokhtMwzB8RMIBYVfsJcEkFQAIBQ9gdQNA-jJxHQB9Y/BA8AAI4FA4alBAA

But if your build works for you then it's perfectly fine. Personally always fan of staff.

• video kinda demonstrates nicely why staff ele is a terrible pvp build (not a comment on the OP's ability or judgement - i enjoyed the video). Build Cant hold point or take pressure. Its only benefit is to act like a battle parasite as it were and hope to get unnoticed long enough off-point to be able to spam aoe while others do the real work.

"Any path that narrows future possibilities may become a lethal trap. Humans do not thread their way through a maze; they scan a vast horizon filled with unique opportunities." - The Spacing Guild Handbook.

Beware the meta!

• What do you mean "others do the real work"? Being able to wipe the entire team (including bunkers) yourself is pretty dang useful haha. It's true that it's a completely different playstyle, but it's surprisingly effective as long as you have one bunker on your own team.

• I decided to run your kinda build (you can check in comment above) and it's fun to run it in wvw as backline ele...nothing can describe that feeling when you see bunch o players standing hopelessly and being rolled over by your zerg...delicious. Your idea of the build is quite evil^^

• @Liberis.9573 said:
    What do you mean "others do the real work"? Being able to wipe the entire team (including bunkers) yourself is pretty dang useful haha. It's true that it's a completely different playstyle, but it's surprisingly effective as long as you have one bunker on your own team.

its a parasitical gameplay style that fails in all but 1 scenario - the entire opposition don't notice the glass cannon aoer standing to the side and/or allow him to freely aoe.

"Any path that narrows future possibilities may become a lethal trap. Humans do not thread their way through a maze; they scan a vast horizon filled with unique opportunities." - The Spacing Guild Handbook.

Beware the meta!

• @vesica tempestas.1563 said:

@Liberis.9573 said:
    What do you mean "others do the real work"? Being able to wipe the entire team (including bunkers) yourself is pretty dang useful haha. It's true that it's a completely different playstyle, but it's surprisingly effective as long as you have one bunker on your own team.

its a parasitical gameplay style that fails in all but 1 scenario - the entire opposition don't notice the glass cannon aoer standing to the side and/or allow him to freely aoe. Basically playing PVP using a PVE style.

Beware the meta!

• MyPuppy.8970MyPuppy.8970 Member ✭✭✭✭

Always a fan of staff, I only ditched it since PoF for sword. It's good to see people having fun with it.

@Liberis.9573 said:

its a parasitical gameplay style that fails in all but 1 scenario - the entire opposition don't notice the glass cannon aoer standing to the side and/or allow him to freely aoe.

You should try it, because it actually doesn't fail in most scenarios. By ending fights as quickly as possible you're able to roam pretty effectively. You're also not completely helpless 1v1 because you have so much damage + CC.

• @Liberis.9573 said:

@vesica tempestas.1563 said:

@Liberis.9573 said:

You should try it, because it actually doesn't fail in most scenarios. By ending fights as quickly as possible you're able to roam pretty effectively. You're also not completely helpless 1v1 because you have so much damage + CC.

your 'ending fight quickly as possible' is again assuming the enemy is going to simply let you stand there and aoe. your roaming is basically wandering about looking to attach yourself to a fight, and while you are wandering, the team is 4.v 5. That does happen against even moderately skilled players. In a pug against players who don't recognize staff ele sure. Ask yourself this, your on the other side of the fence, you see a squishy ele staff teeing up with his aoe - what would you do?

Beware the meta!

• They waste a ton of time chasing. You force them to make the choice. Really, just try it. You'll be surprised :)

• vesica tempestas.1563vesica tempestas.1563 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2018

@Liberis.9573 said:
    They waste a ton of time chasing. You force them to make the choice. Really, just try it. You'll be surprised :)

running away/being controlled is not a tactic/strategy, its a retreat/potential rout (its the chaser that controls this scenario). Your basically weak and being controlled when you are being chased. Having a build that is so weak it can be manipulated so is not a smart play. The best possible outcome is that you survive to live another day and both waste time equally, worst case is pretty much everything else.

Beware the meta!

• Mr Godlike.6098Mr Godlike.6098 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2018

In case of meme builds:

Recently Frostball checked on suggestion of Vallun staff weaver and he made this mutation:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQFAWhMMolhdOwAC8RsIBYFPhmwRQYBEAOh3L6J9lG-jJBXABP/AAO+CAAw+DaWGAA

Although he didn't had enough time to refine build and didn't know what staff does at start he was stupidly effective and in thief duo it has some actually broken synergies.

Some fun moments from stream:

• Lighint rod + tempest defense actually used on staff many cc's actually punish hard chasing you people...actually some died vs Unsteady grounds
      -Basilisk venom + lighting rod+tempest defense actually becomes huge spike...oh man pile driver
      -Give hammer to thief and: thief use hammer 4 in the same time when he steals (steal instant skill so no interrupt on hammer animation) many stuff happens ekehem:
      steal mug damage+hammer 4 damage+shadow step 1200 range+50% health immobilize+Basilisk venom+pulmonary impact = instant cast broken one-shot in second.

• Hammer actually is nice kiting tool as also it improves nicely ele mobility with fire gs ...at least in hands somebody experienced at kitting like Frostball.

Don't treat this build too seriously and I don't know if Frostball will improve it but it was fun to see it in action so why not share it with other ele's.

OH and of course he's ele was naked.

Edit: fixed weaver traits

• Liberis.9573Liberis.9573 Member ✭✭
    edited February 24, 2018

@vesica tempestas.1563 - I know you say running away isn't a valid strategy, but if I can get to plat 2 by solo queueing with this build, it's gotta be working somehow. I'm also still using Berserker's amulet (not Marauder's).

• sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

This build is as good as your team. With a good team you WILL destroy ur Enemy, with a bad team not so much.

I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

• @sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    This build is as good as your team. With a good team you WILL destroy ur Enemy, with a bad team not so much.

Doesn't that apply to almost any build?

And I think it's actually a little bit of the opposite for gold and below. It's very easy to carry with this build at those ranks.

edited February 24, 2018

@Liberis.9573 said:
    @vesica tempestas.1563 - I know you say running away isn't a valid strategy, but if I can get to plat 2 by solo queueing with this build, it's gotta be working somehow. I'm also still using Berserker's amulet (not Marauder's).

i don't doubt your skill, but running away is fundamentally relinquishing control. At best its an inferior tactic forced by a weak build, at worst it destroys a teams synergy. Think about tactical efficiency against equally skilled players:

1v1 - poor
    1vx while under attack - poor
    1v2 - poor
    holding point - poor
    taking point - poor
    highly mobile fights - poor
    chasing down a player - poor

all critical to capture the point pvp. if your poor at the above then you are not pulling your weight.

What is it good at? aoeing a group of people who all decide they are not going to attack the person who is freely aoeing everyone. What would you do if you saw an ele staff aoing?

Beware the meta!

• August 2018 update. Build still works. Pre-nerf, post-nerf. Always :)

• @Liberis.9573 said:
    August 2018 update. Build still works. Pre-nerf, post-nerf. Always :)

In what rank?

• @TSOdinson.2518 said:

@Liberis.9573 said:
    August 2018 update. Build still works. Pre-nerf, post-nerf. Always :)

In what rank?

Up to plat 2 with Berserker's amulet. Maybe higher if the players don't know your character name haha

• Still works, this season and last season!

• ive been messin around with core zerk and tempest paladin staff for a while and its a lot of fun.
    definitely recommend to ppl jaded with ele and want to shake things up.

Same build still works in 2019! Lots of fun :)

• Bamm.6975Bamm.6975 Member ✭✭

Before I found that fire ele Weaver build I was having fun with a tempest variation of this. It worked well for me with a bit more survivability and escape power than the core version.

• I timed traveled back to May 2015 and was playing core fire ele d/d in wvw and spvp. It was fantastic! Defeat Abjured and EZPZ 1v2!

Sword Weavers are decent 1v1 vs non POF metas in wvw. Sadly sword still has low packet damage, very small range and is easy to read. Good luck catching holo, mirage, or firebrand if fleeing from battle. You will never catch the others. And chill from Reapers gibs you so hard.

• Still strong as of August 2019 :)

• steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019

@Liberis.9573 said:
    Still strong as of August 2019 :)

The fact that it took you only 30 games to get there with such build says how dead and incompetent spvp really is.

Gratz nonetheless.

Deso's favorite FROG
    Master of afk and kiting
    The God of Pips and Gud Deeps
    Froggo himself

• @steki.1478 said:

@Liberis.9573 said:
    Still strong as of August 2019 :)

The fact that it took you only 30 games to get there with such build says how dead and incompetent spvp really is.

Gratz nonetheless.

Maybe, but I've done it every season I've played. Glass staff has been strong for many years.

• Swagg.9236Swagg.9236 Member ✭✭✭✭

I find it absolutely nuts that people run core staff ele without Lightning Rod (and Arcane Revival to a lesser extent since I get people just wanting an extra Arcane Shield), but it's cool that people manage to make it work! Oh yeah, also, might while attacking in fire instead of MORE LAVA FONT too. I guess some of the trait options are far more optional than I thought, or maybe I just enjoy surprise rezzing people from the brink and tossing people around with Tornado way too much. Oh yeah, the runes too: I can't imagine playing without Runes of Speed. Permanent super speed is delicious. The whole package displayed in the video is just so foreign to me lol.

• October 2019 update, still works easy.

Placed gold 1 as Necro. Switched back to glass staff Ele and won 8 times in a row, getting me to 1491 atm.

• reikken.4961reikken.4961 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2019

I've tried to make staff ele work, but never manged it. What do you do when there's a herald/thief/soulbeast/weaver/mesmer with decent awareness on the enemy team? Seems like they'd just instantly kill you as soon as you show up to a fight. Let's see a video of dealing with that.

edited November 1, 2019

@reikken.4961 said:
    I've tried to make staff ele work, but never manged it. What do you do when there's a herald/thief/soulbeast/weaver/mesmer with decent awareness on the enemy team? Seems like they'd just instantly kill you as soon as you show up to a fight. Let's see a video of dealing with that.

You have a ton of escapes, slows, knockbacks, speed, stuns, etc.

Fire 4, into Lighting 4 w/ "One with Air (Superspeed)", into air 5, into earth 4 or water 2,4, etc. You also have low CD arcane shield, plus a trait-based arcane shield, plus constant endurance regen from crits. You have a lot more survivability than you think, and it's mostly about awareness and positioning. Play the edges, play like a chicken (don't be afraid to run and waste people's time), play around your CDs, almost never participate in 1v1s (unless you have the point and your CDs are up), run INTO your team if you're getting chased (not away from the point), and preemptively drop your aoes on yourself if you need to. Your damage itself is a deterrent as well.

I'll try to record another video when I can.

edited November 5, 2019

@Liberis.9573 said:

@reikken.4961 said:

Fire 4, into Lighting 4 w/ "One with Air (Superspeed)", into air 5, into earth 4 or water 2,4, etc. You also have low CD arcane shield, plus a trait-based arcane shield, plus constant endurance regen from crits. You have a lot more survivability than you think, and it's mostly about awareness and positioning. Play the edges, play like a chicken (don't be afraid to run and waste people's time), play around your CDs, almost never participate in 1v1s (unless you have the point and your CDs are up), run INTO your team if you're getting chased (not away from the point), and preemptively drop your aoes on yourself if you need to. Your damage itself is a deterrent as well.

While you are being chased you are not doing you primary role - pack aoe, the guy chasing you can keep chasing you through your attempts to escape, kill you and knock you out of the fight for 30 + seconds. Staff is still a parasitical build that is useless unless you can sneak about the edges of a fight undusturbed, that's a huge risk for a team to take to get a fragile aoer.

I play Weaver d/d and every time I see one, I hunt him down and destroy him. The fight is basically 4v5 half the time as a result. I wish staff was better in spvp, but its not there at the moment.

Beware the meta!

@Liberis.9573 said:

@reikken.4961 said:

While you are being chased you are not doing you primary role - pack aoe, the guy chasing you can keep chasing you through your attempts to escape, kill you and knock you out of the fight for 30 + seconds. Staff is still a parasitical build that is useless unless you can sneak about the edges of a fight undusturbed, that's a huge risk for a team to take to get a fragile aoer.

I play Weaver d/d and every time I see one, I hunt him down and destroy him. The fight is basically 4v5 half the time as a result. I wish staff was better in spvp, but its not there at the moment.

It depends on how good you are to escape someone. Sure, you are not doing anything if you run, but neither is your follower! So it is 4v4.
    I was playing staff ele in 2012 and nobody could kill me at that time because I was really good with cc skills.
    Not saying I would play staff today.

edited November 7, 2019

That's true. For equal skilled players Your follower knows you are desperate to escape so he knows keeping the chase on and killing you will knock you out of the game for 40 seconds or so and return to 4v 5 got a bit. Personally I play condy with med range, so they tend to bleed hp, panic turn to aoe then die. Good staff player v poor chaser and its a different story, if you were a dedicated staff player that would have helped :)

Beware the meta!

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.