Core Glass Cannon Staff Ele for SPVP (May 2020)

Liberis.9573

@Liberis.9573 said:

@Junkpile.7439 said:But how you kill something when damage is so low? You know that weaver isn't core?

Core glass staff has more point burst than weaver

Some dual skills actually do like 8-10k crits so I doubt that ele has better burst. There's nothing that staff ele does better than weaver outside of maybe sustain/boons for your team with water/arcane spec.

@steki.1478 said:

@Junkpile.7439 said:But how you kill something when damage is so low? You know that weaver isn't core?

Some dual skills actually do like 8-10k crits so I doubt that ele has better burst. There's nothing that staff ele does better than weaver outside of maybe sustain/boons for your team with water/arcane spec.

Try it. The AoE point clear can't be beat :)

@Liberis.9573 said:

Weaver gives you more aoes so I still dont see how ele beats weaver in that.

@steki.1478 said:

It's not about more AoEs, it's about the burst damage and frequency of those aoes. You can't beat 25 might, runes of strength, berserker amulet, meteor showers on CD. In addition to 4k lava fonts and 2-3k autos AND the burst from arcane blast, arcane wave, arcane shield, and fire elemental. It's constant, massive point clear

@Liberis.9573 said:

It's not about more AoEs, it's about the burst damage and frequency of those aoes. You can't beat 25 might, runes of strength, berserker amulet, meteor showers on CD. In addition to 4k lava fonts and 2-3k autos AND the burst from arcane blast, arcane wave, arcane shield, and fire elemental. It's constant, massive point clear

Arcane skills hit for 1k after patch. All fire dual skills do more damage than lava font. You have same might potential, better utility skills (stone resonance is the best stab on ele while twist of fate is the best stun break) and just better damage output (higher precision and damage modifiers). Not to mention that runes of strength dont do that much for you, you can run strength, pack or even fire and achieve better burst.

I'm failing to understand how 2 aoes and random arcane tickle on core ele is better burst compared to 4+ aoes on top of highest burst skills (plasma blast and pile driver) that staff has on weaver.

@steki.1478 said:

@"Junkpile.7439" said:But how you kill something when damage is so low? You know that weaver isn't core?

Arcane skills hit for 1k after patch. All fire dual skills do more damage than lava font. You have same might potential, better utility skills (stone resonance is the best stab on ele while twist of fate is the best stun break) and just better damage output (higher precision and damage modifiers). Not to mention that runes of strength dont do that much for you, you can run strength, pack or even fire and achieve better burst.

I'm failing to understand how 2 aoes and random arcane tickle on core ele is better burst compared to 4+ aoes on top of highest burst skills (plasma blast and pile driver) that staff has on weaver.

First match back playing glass staff, almost 600k damage:

kQCv4Qx.jpg

@Liberis.9573 said:

@"steki.1478" said:Still doesnt say how it's better than weaver.

Please share your screenshots of 600k damage then? Hell, I have screenshots of >1 million damage:

w4bHGwe.jpg

From before patch? 1M is barely possible even in wvw nowadays and thats after 10 minutes of farming pugs inside objectives.

@Liberis.9573 said:

From before patch? 1M is barely possible even in wvw nowadays and thats after 10 minutes of farming pugs inside objectives.

600k is after, 1M is before

How consistent is that though? 600k sounds like a lot of node AFKers that dont hit back and at least one minion mancer where you can farm dps on pets, while the game drags out to 500-480.

@steki.1478 said:

How consistent is that though? 600k sounds like a lot of node AFKers that dont hit back and at least one minion mancer where you can farm dps on pets, while the game drags out to 500-480.

How many screenshots do you want? Every match is typically 300k-600k, with me doing a minimum of 30% of my team's damage :)

@steki.1478 said:

2nd match today, no minion mancers:

dNJ9iUK.jpg

@Liberis.9573 said:

dNJ9iUK.jpg

Try weaver now. Most of my games are hard stomps so anything above 350k is impossible in short time.

• 2 months later...

I'll try it. I love playing core D/D in pvp and I know how strong the skills are of you land them in perfect succession. I'm a little skeptic about survivability. I guess that's where all the skill takes place. Did you change anything with the build after the most recent balance patch?

I don't have the guts to try core staff in spvp or staff anything in spvp. It's just way too much work for too much risk. Staff core brings very little in a pug encounter and if the other team has one smart thief or ranger, it can be hell to survive. Its safer to run meta support tempest atm in pug games. You can make a world of difference in team fights.

I do play staff in WvW and Weaver outdamages core staff in zergs easily while providing more survival to me. Now with the changes to Fire grandmaster giving 1% bonus on fire fields, fire/earth dual skill is amazingly strong. Core is just completely lackluster tbh. One or two players making exceptional use of Core staff doesn't mean the build is viable. Equally skilled weavers will out damage Core because of how the traits work for weaver. Elements of rage alone is amazing and if the issue is access to double attunement skills, just run unravel.

If you have access to weaver, try running weaver staff in spvp. You're obviously very good at positioning in Spvp maps so you'll be able to play staff well on weaver too.

@steki.1478 said:

dNJ9iUK.jpg

Try weaver now. Most of my games are hard stomps so anything above 350k is impossible in short time.

unfortunately its this kind of chat, driven by dmg meter games that has caused Anet to think staff is in a healthy place.

Ask yourself this, if you were not an ele in Spvp and you saw an ele staff player pumping their aoe on to a spot - what would you do? This is the issue, any half good player would target you until dead. You wait to respawn and then resume your journey to get big numbers, in the meantime your team is down 4 v 5.

@vesica tempestas.1563 said:

unfortunately its this kind of chat, driven by dmg meter games that has caused Anet to think staff is in a healthy place.

Ask yourself this, if you were not an ele in Spvp and you saw an ele staff player pumping their aoe on to a spot - what would you do? This is the issue, any half good player would target you until dead. You wait to respawn and then resume your journey to get big numbers, in the meantime your team is down 4 v 5.

I'm aware of staff ele's position in pvp, I just dont see why ele is better than weaver when weaver has better burst, damage output and defense. I was playing in unranked and you can pretty much make any build work there (and even there I'd get focused by people who are aware of their surroundings).

• 1 year later...

Core glass is pretty dead now. Even going as squishy as possible (Zerker + Strength Runes + Separation Sigil + Courage Sigil + Fire 132 + Air 321 + Arcane 132 + Glyph of Storms + Arcane Wave), it's not really possible to do enough damage consistently enough to clear points. And every class can oneshot you 😕

After playing core glass staff for almost 30 seasons (multi-diamond): RIP

Edited by Liberis.9573
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Liberis.9573 said:

Core glass is pretty dead now. Even going as squishy as possible (Zerker + Strength Runes + Separation Sigil + Courage Sigil + Fire 132 + Air 321 + Arcane 132 + Glyph of Storms + Arcane Wave), it's not really possible to do enough damage consistently enough to clear points. And every class can oneshot you 😕

After playing core glass staff for almost 30 seasons (multi-diamond): RIP

It's impressive how long you managed to pull off a core staff ele, of all things.  I played staff support tempest for a pretty long while, but I feel like I've been made obsolete by vindicator. 

Here's to hoping they finally buff staff.

• Like 1