[April Fools] Guild Wars 2: The Card Game - Screenshots — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Community Creations

[April Fools] Guild Wars 2: The Card Game - Screenshots

Makarow.3028Makarow.3028 Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2, 2021 in Community Creations

Hello!

I am a lucky tester of incoming GuildWars2: The Card Game! Currently it's in Closed Alpha, but it's so fun and promising project! I was allowed to post some screenshots from game. If you have questions - feel free to ask! I will try to answer them all as long as NDA is allowing me to answer them!

Build: CA_2021_04_01_631

I am giving away 5 codes for my followers on Twitter to Closed Alpha of Guild Wars 2: The Card Game, GOOD LUCK!

If this post will get at least 100 likes, I will give away 2 more keys! -> Post 1
If this post will get at least 100 likes, I will give away 2 more keys! -> Post 2

If you look for QA Tester, or UI/UX Artist I can probably help you with your projects too! Hiring offers welcome via PM! ; )

EU: Makarow.3028 | NA: MakarowNA.3087 | Discord: Makarow#5536 | Charr Against Humanity [CAH]

Comments

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

Ha! April Fool's!

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

That must have taken you ages!

Did you base the 'in play' layout on an existing game, or just put together something which looks believable?

Danielle Aurorel, Desolation EU. Mini Collector

"Life's a journey, not a destination."

• Veprovina.4876Veprovina.4876 Member ✭✭✭✭

Ha! Nice! :smile:
    The design choices fit great!
    The buttons are maybe too over the top compared to the current aesthetic but good job nonetheless!

• Makarow.3028Makarow.3028 Member ✭✭✭

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Ha! April Fool's!

B)

@Danikat.8537 said:
    That must have taken you ages!

Did you base the 'in play' layout on an existing game, or just put together something which looks believable?

Actually I've made ealier some assets https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/117729/game-concept-guild-wars-2-the-card-game for physical card game. So I re-used them in current project. So I had to work on UI/UX layouts and fiddle a bit with official textures/wallpapers/icons and all... so far it took me 15h. ;D

About gameplay - yep, you can find physical card game mockup in link above. It's based on dead polish TCG game (since 6 years), but I reworked and changed like 50% of mechanics, so I'd say it's different game now. So far it should be playable on table. As digital game? Well, probably too! Since I managed to create scenes. :D

@Veprovina.4876 said:
    Ha! Nice! :smile:
    The design choices fit great!
    The buttons are maybe too over the top compared to the current aesthetic but good job nonetheless!

Thank you! Tried my best, but I was busy with other projects so I had to sacrifice some time and hurry up this one... ^^

EU: Makarow.3028 | NA: MakarowNA.3087 | Discord: Makarow#5536 | Charr Against Humanity [CAH]

• Cynder.2509Cynder.2509 Member ✭✭✭✭

Looks preem! Although it's not real :(
    Does it play more like Magic The Gathering, Hearthstone or Gwent?

I'm Hunter, he/him
    Character infos: https://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/charactersgw2
    Meme God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

@Cynder.2509 said:
    Looks preem! Although it's not real :(
    Does it play more like Magic The Gathering, Hearthstone or Gwent?

Hmmm It's totally a different game, I'd say it's a bit more complext than MtG. ( https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/117729/game-concept-guild-wars-2-the-card-game - this might visualise it better ;) )

Round is split to turns, so players play their moves alternately (depending who have more Noble Characters or... bought initiative with gold). On Round start you draw 4+ max 3 cards (if you used "Location" cards as hand expansion). Each Round new Event is revealed too (modifies gameplay, like you cannot do diplomacy this round or duel characters, or have to pay gold taxes :P ).

Each Turn you can do one Action + as much as you want minor moves. Action is playing a Character from hand, Card play rule with Action icon, challenging a duel or doing diplomacy. Duel and Diplomacy gives you Victory Points - once you collect them all - you win.

There are two fields: Battleground and Summit Field (. On Summit Field you can keep Locations and Characters (if they have keywords allowing them to stay there). You can do diplomacy here but cannot duel Characters (until you have "Hotspur" Character or Cards allowing you to do it). On Battlefield You can duel or do diplomacy.

There are also attachable cards like Effects(or they can be instant), Belongings(Mounts, Weapons, Armors, Items, etc) and Attacks (They're played with back-up, so opponent don't know card rules, they are revealed during duel if played, or during diplomacy for extra Victory Point).

There are also 3 other cards which are 'permanent' on table: Strategy, Battle and Diplomatic Influences. They modify your playstyle generally.

To fasten game, each Round, there are 2 Victory Points discarded from game from shared pool (if shared pool is empty - each player discards 1). :)

So that's the quick preview of rules. :P

• Cynder.2509Cynder.2509 Member ✭✭✭✭

It sounds very interesting! Sad thing it isn't real. Thanks for the explanation

I'm Hunter, he/him
    Character infos: https://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/charactersgw2
    Meme God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

@Cynder.2509 said:
    It sounds very interesting! Sad thing it isn't real. Thanks for the explanation

Maybe one day ;) If i will find enough of time, I'll try to translate rules to english and prepare printable cards (at least two decks for versus).

• Grand Marshal.4098Grand Marshal.4098 Member ✭✭✭

Tbh, I would totally play that if it was a thing. And if it even had physical cards that can be used as well, I would still buy them for a collection.

Make Banner Warrior for Zergs great again!!!

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4:50PM

Sad thing is.. I'd love for Gw2 to have an actual card game XD

I'll always have fond memories about FF8's stupidly addictive card game, good times ^^
    Imagine something like that in Gw2, challenging other players around town and gambling your best cards against their best cards.. going around the world killing specific creatures and hoping for a rare, unique card drop..
    Challenging specific NPC's in the game daily for the chance to win a rare unique card from them (Queen Jennah should totally have a unique Logan Thackery card)
    Man that be so fun to have ^^