[SUGGESTION] Make enemies required for Gen.1 Legendary Weapons Collections available in Base areas

Pyle.9305

First of, before the release of Path of Fire, I have played the game on a pre-expansion account. As such, I have only had access to the Mastery system when I got PoF. I believe the Tyria Masteries for PoF and HoT are the same, iirc.

Now, I enjoy PoF a lot. I especially enjoy the Legendary crafting mastery. I started my first weapon collection weeks ago for The Bifrost I. I just got to Bifrost III very recently and looking through the collection items I saw that [one of the items requires looking for a "chak zapper" ](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Light_of_the_Chak "one of the items requires looking for a "chak zapper" "). Chaks are only found in the HoT maps Tangled Depths and Dragon's Stand.

I've browsed through the collection items for the other legendary weapon collections and I saw that Bolt III also need the chak. The rest of the Gen. 1 legendary collections don't need HoT exclusive items/enemies, iirc.

So my suggestion is:

1. Either make the HoT exclusive enemies required for the generation 1 collections spawn in a base map i.e. Dry Top (Cavern of the Shining Lights). As shown by the current Halloween event, this is easy to do - Awakened enemies spawning in base game maps for Halloween achievements.
  2. Or remove the aforementioned collection items entirely.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who went straight to Path of Fire.

@TexZero.7910 said:The system was designed around having HoT. So no, they shouldn't change it in the way you want.

To be fair to the OP, it's a bit of a contradiction: the mastery is available via PoF, some Gen 1 precursor collections can be completed without HoT, but some cannot be.

On the other hand, the OP can spend similar time & resources on getting the precursor without any masteries at all, i.e. making Bifrost doesn't require doing the collection. According to GW2 Efficiency (as I type this), it costs ~580g (in resources) to make your own "The Legend" and 570g to buy one from the TP. Taking into account the time you have to invest in the collection, it's more financially efficient to buy.

However, regardless of the contradiction or of the economics, the more important fact is that ANet has decided to put fewer resources into legendaries, so it seems very, very unlikely that they'll take the time to adjust the collections unless there's some bug that's blocking progress.

tl;dr fair or not, @TexZero.7910 is likely correct in predicting that this won't be changed, regardless of the details.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:In Out of the Shadows you go to Rata Novus, where some Chak spawn during the story.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Research_in_Rata_Novus

Still behind a gempurchase if you don't have it unlocked already ofcourse.

All well and good, but you need HoT to play LS3...Anet did intend for Legendary crafting to require a purchase of HoT. The easiest solution would have been to lock this mastery to PoF only players, since it's too late for that, the collections do need adjustment.

@TexZero.7910 said:The system was designed around having HoT. So no, they shouldn't change it in the way you want.

No. The mastery system specifically requires you to have any expansion unlocked. And legendary crafting is not a HoT mastery but a core one. So, having PoF should be enough for crafting precursors for core legendaries.

Simply, someone messed up when designing collections, probably because they were still working with the (then planned, but later abandoned) assumption that any next expac purchase would have HoT bundled in.

TL/DR: yes, it was designed around having HoT, but that was tied to the design decisions that have since changed. Basically, those collections are based on abandoned design, and thus should be fixed to bring them up to the current situation.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:In Out of the Shadows you go to Rata Novus, where some Chak spawn during the story.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Research_in_Rata_Novus

Still behind a gempurchase if you don't have it unlocked already ofcourse.

Season 3 requires you to have HoT, so it's not a workaround for not having that expac.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781Before PoF was released and all I had was a base account, I spent a significant time gathering resources - gold AND materials. I use GW2 Efficiency, as well, and according to it I only needed a quarter of the TP price for 'The Legend' if I go through the collection. While it is much more time efficient to just spend gold on the precursor right away - I can even buy the legendary itself, but then, aren't the Collections there to be collected? I personally enjoy spending the time running around hunting items.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

No. The mastery system specifically requires you to have
any
expansion unlocked. And legendary crafting is not a HoT mastery but a core one. So, having PoF
should
be enough for crafting precursors for
core
legendaries.

Simply, someone messed up when designing collections, probably because they were still working with the (then planned, but later abandoned) assumption that any next expac purchase would have HoT bundled in.

TL/DR: yes, it was designed around having HoT, but that was tied to the design decisions that have since changed. Basically, those collections are based on abandoned design, and thus should be fixed to bring them up to the current situation.

You worded what I was thinking about much better than I could!

@Pyle.9305 said:@Illconceived Was Na.9781Before PoF was released and all I had was a base account, I spent a significant time gathering resources - gold AND materials. I use GW2 Efficiency, as well, and according to it I only needed a quarter of the TP price for 'The Legend' if I go through the collection. While it is much more time efficient to just spend gold on the precursor right away - I can even buy the legendary itself, but then, aren't the Collections there to be collected? I personally enjoy spending the time running around hunting items.

Which was why I referred to financial efficiency. Fun is fun; if you like the collections, they are worth doing.

(As to price, Bifrost costs the same once you acquire the Legend staff. The TP cost of the precursor is 585g buy offer or 640 sell offers. According to GW2/E, the resources are valued at 580g buy offer, 639g inst-buy. I'm not sure what you're looking at that shows "a quarter of the TP price".)

PS to "call out" someone, type @ and then the first few letters of their name. That offers a pop-up that provides the proper syntax to make a link (you can even use the keyboard arrows to select a name from a list and press tab to paste it for you).

@Astralporing.1957 said:

any
expansion unlocked. And legendary crafting is not a HoT mastery but a core one. So, having PoF
should
core
legendaries.

The entire system that came was a result of HoT. It was quite literally a feature of it.There only mistake is making it a core tyria track to begin with as before PoF the only way you'd have access to the mastery system as a whole was with HoT. See the point here ?

Buy HoT, it's very unlikely to change and if they do change it it's less likely that they'll change the collection over just changing the mastery description for legendary weapon crafting to state "May include elements of prior expansions/content".

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Pyle.9305 said:@Illconceived Was Na.9781Before PoF was released and all I had was a base account, I spent a significant time gathering resources - gold AND materials. I use GW2 Efficiency, as well, and according to it I only needed a quarter of the TP price for 'The Legend' if I go through the collection. While it is much more time efficient to just spend gold on the precursor right away - I can even buy the legendary itself, but then, aren't the Collections there to be collected? I personally enjoy spending the time running around hunting items.

Which was why I referred to financial efficiency. Fun is fun; if you like the collections, they are worth doing.

(As to price, Bifrost costs the same once you acquire the Legend staff. The TP cost of the precursor is 585g buy offer or 640 sell offers. According to GW2/E, the resources are valued at 580g buy offer, 639g inst-buy. I'm not sure what you're looking at that shows "a quarter of the TP price".)

PS to "call out" someone, type
@
and then the first few letters of their name. That offers a pop-up that provides the proper syntax to make a link (you can even use the keyboard arrows to select a name from a list and press
tab
to paste it for you).

GW2 Efficiency has a "Use own materials" option, it took into account the materials I already had needed to craft The Legend, hence, a quarter of the TP price.

@Pyle.9305 said:

PS to "call out" someone, type
@
and then the first few letters of their name. That offers a pop-up that provides the proper syntax to make a link (you can even use the keyboard arrows to select a name from a list and press
tab
to paste it for you).

GW2 Efficiency has a "Use own materials" option, it took into account the materials I already had needed to craft The Legend, hence, a quarter of the TP price.

Sorry, that's not "a quarter of the price" — those resources have value, which you are choosing to spend rather than sell and it applies only to you, not to everyone attempting to decide. For some precursors, it's actually financially expedient to sell the mats one would use to complete the collection — even at insta-sell (highest buy offer) — and use the coin to purchase from the TP. In other words, it's actually a net loss to "use own materials" (in those cases).

It's true that you personally might only spend a quarter of the coin, the phrase, "the resources are valued at" clearly includes the value of all the mats needed, not just the ones any given individual might lack.

@mtpelion.4562 said:At a minimum, the collections that require HoT should clearly advertise that fact before you can begin themThat's fair, in the same way that the OP's request is fair: if you can unlock the collection, reasonable people are reasonably going to expect it can be completed; they shouldn't have to be familiar with the nuances of how the game's mechanics have evolved.

However, I still think it's unlikely that ANet will spend the time to do something about it: it's information that is available (and it's a good idea to research before beginning a legendary journey), it affects a tiny fraction of players, and it only affects them once. In others, sure, ANet should, but there's a lot of "shoulds" on their list; they aren't going to get to them all.

(just as the ones that will require PoF should).I thought they said that none of the Gen2.1 collections would require PoF, just HoT.

@TexZero.7910 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

any
should
core
legendaries.

The entire system that came was a result of HoT. It was quite literally a feature of it.There only mistake is making it a core tyria track to begin with as before PoF the only way you'd have access to the mastery system as a whole was with HoT. See the point here ?

Buy HoT, it's very unlikely to change and if they do change it it's less likely that they'll change the collection over just changing the mastery description for legendary weapon crafting to state "May include elements of prior expansions/content".

Before PoF, yes. We're
after
PoF launch now however, if you haven't noticed. And the assumptions that were made then (that
every
PoF owner would have HoT as well) are no longer true, because somewhere on the way Anet changed their mind about that one.

So,

1. Masteries are no longer something associated with HoT. They were merely introduced in that expac first
  2. Mistake or not, legendary precursor crafting is a core mastery, not tied to HoT at all.
  3. Most of the Core Legendary collections are not associated with HoT at all, the ones we're talking about here are the exceptions, not the norm.
  4. You can now buy an expac without buying/getting previous one - so, you can have an expac (any) without having HoT
  5. Consequently, it is now possible to have mastery system unlocked (and precursor crafting mastery done) without having HoT
  6. This is a change from what developers assumed would be the case when they designed the precursor collections.

in short, when precursor collections were designed, devs based their work on the asumption that anyone that has the collection unlocked will have HoT. It was simply impossible to have one and not the other then. Now however that assumption is completely false, and in consequence it breaks some of the collections.This should be fixed, one way or another.

Personally, i think that putting a few chak somewhere in the core tyria will require less work and cause less problems/inconsistences than moving the legendary mastery to HoT.

@Astralporing.1957 said:Personally, i think that putting a few chak somewhere in the core tyria will require less work and cause less problems/inconsistences than moving the legendary mastery to HoT.

However, it's less work still to leave things as they are, with a few of the collections being bound to HoT, despite the mastery itself unlocking with PoF. And there's precedent: you can start Mawdrey and Aurora without having all the story unlocks you need.

I'm not against ANet making adjustments. In fact, I think it makes ANet look bad to allow people to start a collection they cannot complete. I'm just not sure if this is as big a priority as some suggest.

Archived