Anyone tried PU mirage in WvW?

Joshewwah.2956

@Veprovina.4876 said:PU as in Prismatic Understanding? What exactly would a mirage spec bring to the table for that build? Mirage is more about evading, distortion and blinking everywhere with Blink and Jaunt rather than stealth.

But i'm also interested if someone tried it.

Idk, something to do with using the mirrors for extra evasion and ambushing?

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:PU as in Prismatic Understanding? What exactly would a mirage spec bring to the table for that build? Mirage is more about evading, distortion and blinking everywhere with Blink and Jaunt rather than stealth.

But i'm also interested if someone tried it.

Idk, something to do with using the mirrors for extra evasion and ambushing?

Yeah, but PU is stealth based. Maybe it could work if you trait Desert Distortion to get mirrors from clones. Stealth with boons, tons of mirrors, target break skills, Jaunt...Could work.

It’s basically used mostly by mesmers who are either new or not good enough to run a build with any risk. I’ve seen a few mirages in WvW running PU and the chaos trait line (can always tell by mirror of anguish) and it’s just basically a lame build right up there with SA bounding dodger thief where they sit in stealth as much as they can denying most classes the ability to effectively fight. Not quite as bad on mesmer as they have cool downs but every bit as lame.

There is however some synergisation between metaphysical rejuvenation and renewing oasis and if paired with hoelbrak runes and with lucky swiftness procs you can be very resistant to conditions but considering most condition classes run trailblazer you’re only offsetting their duration. Cleanses would be better and mirage has plenty.

I run a hybrid build with a power damage lean. I use PU because I like to have my stealth last longer if I need to run away. I solo roam, so it helps a lot. I never really stay in stealth very long in combat; however the duration for escaping a Zerg or something is really helpful.

@maneezy.5241 said:I run a hybrid build with a power damage lean. I use PU because I like to have my stealth last longer if I need to run away. I solo roam, so it helps a lot. I never really stay in stealth very long in combat; however the duration for escaping a Zerg or something is really helpful.

I can attest to this, I also run a hybrid build with only 2 invis ( Torch 4 & slotted Decoy ) so having the extra invis + the boons can be a real lifesaver. It's a funky build and I don't shatter much except for finishing targets ( F3 & 4 ) or for added dps.

• 2 weeks later...

@apharma.3741 said:It’s basically used mostly by mesmers who are either new or not good enough to run a build with any risk. I’ve seen a few mirages in WvW running PU and the chaos trait line (can always tell by mirror of anguish) and it’s just basically a lame build right up there with SA bounding dodger thief where they sit in stealth as much as they can denying most classes the ability to effectively fight. Not quite as bad on mesmer as they have cool downs but every bit as lame.

There is however some synergisation between metaphysical rejuvenation and renewing oasis and if paired with hoelbrak runes and with lucky swiftness procs you can be very resistant to conditions but considering most condition classes run trailblazer you’re only offsetting their duration. Cleanses would be better and mirage has plenty.

That's pretty funny. I enjoy beating people who think they're better than my PU build.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I think PU/stealth heavy play is not as effective as a few years back.

Sure PU/stealth is invaluable when it comes to juking with a zerg, however there are a lot of counters to it - never mind being vulnerable to things like LB rangers or whatever.

Reflect/evade spam on the other hand, together with detarget from IA and axe3.... ;) Oh wait, what am I saying! Nevermind - nothing to see here - please play PU it's so much better.

;)

@Oozo.7856 said:PU is obviously best with conditions. You can have evade/reflect and use axe with a PU build. You could use IA as well if you want to give up a stealth ability. But, I don't see a reason to do that since axe 3 is on such a short cooldown.

Just for the record - reflect/evade spam (ie evasive mirror plus traited manipulations) and PU do not synergise due to reveal. As someone who currently only uses torch for stealth, even that gets cut short fairly often due to this, so it's really not worth traiting PU and Evasive Mirror in the same build.

Anyway in case it wasn't clear, my comment was tongue in cheek - ie I'd rather not face more opponents playing with reflect/evade spam as personally I think it's harder to fight against than PU/stealth.

@Curunen.8729 said:Personally I think PU/stealth heavy play is not as effective as a few years back.

Sure PU/stealth is invaluable when it comes to juking with a zerg, however there are a lot of counters to it - never mind being vulnerable to things like LB rangers or whatever.

Reflect/evade spam on the other hand, together with detarget from IA and axe3.... ;) Oh wait, what am I saying! Nevermind - nothing to see here - please play PU it's so much better.

;)

Silly Goose :smiley:

Stealth forces a loss of target as well. Along with axe 3 this is pretty good if you are running a clone uptime (non-shatter) build. PU is good for countering enemy stealth and escaping really bad situations (unexpected zerg while you are fighting). I'm not arguing what is best, some builds have advantages and disadvantages depending on what you are fighting.

Forgive any poor gameplay by me since these fights are literally from my first two days playing mesmer.

These are unlisted, I just put them up so a few friends could see what the playstyle is like.

@Oozo.7856 said:Stealth forces a loss of target as well. Along with axe 3 this is pretty good if you are running a clone uptime (non-shatter) build. PU is good for countering enemy stealth and escaping really bad situations (unexpected zerg while you are fighting). I'm not arguing what is best, some builds have advantages and disadvantages depending on what you are fighting.

Forgive any poor gameplay by me since these fights are literally from my first two days playing mesmer.

These are unlisted, I just put them up so a few friends could see what the playstyle is like.

I find the anti synergy between reflect and stealth scales with the number of opponents - with fewer opponents it's easier to manage not proccing reveal on yourself as you have demonstrated, but if outnumbered the chances are most if not every dodge or evade will proc mirror. Every outnumbered fight I have been in results in this - and often it cuts into torch stealth if trying to use in the middle of opponents. Nevermind things like stealth into traited blink with many projectiles flying about.

I personally would rather trait Blinding Dissipation over Evasive Mirror if I was running PU, and I would probably not use traited mirror heal as that provides more frequent reflect. On that note I see you use Ether Feast and untraited Blink, so reflect is less of an issue for you to play around - the traited manipulations with heal on top of Evasive Mirror increases the chance of breaking stealth as it provides very high uptime of reflect.

@Curunen.8729 said:

@Oozo.7856 said:Stealth forces a loss of target as well. Along with axe 3 this is pretty good if you are running a clone uptime (non-shatter) build. PU is good for countering enemy stealth and escaping really bad situations (unexpected zerg while you are fighting). I'm not arguing what is best, some builds have advantages and disadvantages depending on what you are fighting.

I find the anti synergy between reflect and stealth scales with the number of opponents - with fewer opponents it's easier to manage not proccing reveal on yourself as you have demonstrated, but if outnumbered the chances are most if not every dodge or evade will proc mirror. Every outnumbered fight I have been in results in this - and often it cuts into torch stealth if trying to use in the middle of opponents. Nevermind things like stealth into traited blink with many projectiles flying about.

I personally would rather trait Blinding Dissipation over Evasive Mirror if I was running PU, and I would probably not use traited mirror heal as that provides more frequent reflect. On that note I see you use Ether Feast and untraited Blink, so reflect is less of an issue for you to play around - the traited manipulations with heal on top of Evasive Mirror increases the chance of breaking stealth as it provides very high uptime of reflect.

Note that he's a Zealot on a quest for nerfs. Give him more detailed instructions than the standard run of the mill, so he may finally stop going about yapping how EZ Mesmer is to play, because he killed 3 terrible players and is now the incarnation of Lyssa.

I don't care if they nerf or not since I enjoy the playstyle. I'd be more than happy to play mesmer full time. I don't let my bias get in the way of my judgment, like some. I'm just stating a fact that mesmer and thief are the lowest risk classes to play in the game and condition mesmer, in particular, is very strong for it's ease of play.

@Oozo.7856 said:I don't care if they nerf or not since I enjoy the playstyle. I'd be more than happy to play mesmer full time. I don't let my bias get in the way of my judgment, like some. I'm just stating a fact that mesmer and thief are the lowest risk classes to play in the game and condition mesmer, in particular, is very strong for it's ease of play.

And I'm just saying you're plain wrong in your assumption, as if your statement were true, we'd be swarmed with Mesmers at all tiers and game modes... and yet we still get to see more Spellbreakers/Scourges/Firebrands than Mesmers out there. Meaning it must not be as easy to play successfully as everyone claims.

Edit: I don’t believe I have at any point since this last patch expressed my personal opinion about the current Mirage state. Be it OP or NOT. So I’m not sure you’re getting the bias vs judgement stipulation from.

Archived