Create a Server based Chat Channel

Strider Pj.2193

TLDR: Create a chat channel that is server based.

Prior to Mega Servers, Lions arch was a servers hub in many ways. Call outs for help in WvW were sent out and people would either laugh at you, ignore you, or go and help.

It would also allow people to recruit new people to WvW. New players that came in and old PvE'ers that maybe haven't thought about it.

Of course the game is old, and the mode is losing players. We also have servers that have bled WvW players off them because of links.

But the servers who are the servers that are linked are also open servers, which means that any new players coming into the game new has to choose an open server.

Of course, like any chat channel, it would need the ability to turn it off, as the potential for trolling would be heavy, but it might have people identify with their server a little more.

I would think that the channel should only work in cities, or lobbies: i.e. Raid and PvP. (And WvW if we ever get one....)

*Edit: would also allow WvW guild recruitment also.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:TLDR: Create a chat channel that is server based.

Prior to Mega Servers, Lions arch was a servers hub in many ways. Call outs for help in WvW were sent out and people would either laugh at you, ignore you, or go and help.

It would also allow people to recruit new people to WvW. New players that came in and old PvE'ers that maybe haven't thought about it.

Of course the game is old, and the mode is losing players. We also have servers that have bled WvW players off them because of links.

But the servers who are the servers that are linked are also open servers, which means that any new players coming into the game new has to choose an open server.

Of course, like any chat channel, it would need the ability to turn it off, as the potential for trolling would be heavy, but it might have people identify with their server a little more.

I would think that the channel should only work in cities, or lobbies: i.e. Raid and PvP. (And WvW if we ever get one....)

i would love a server channel, but would you explain to me why only cities / lobbies? people waiting bored at the next worldboss spawn might jump into WvW for 5 min to defend a keep as well or to quickly crash a SMC.and trolls are unavoidable, the larger the audience, the more trolls. but thats what we got the ignore list for, if we dont enjoy their entertainment.what about linked servers? would they share a chat channel with their hosts or will they get their own to keep the last bit community left on those together? when seperate channels you will need to post 'calls to arms' on all linking chatchannels tho.

@MUDse.7623 said:

i would love a server channel, but would you explain to me why only cities / lobbies? people waiting bored at the next worldboss spawn might jump into WvW for 5 min to defend a keep as well or to quickly crash a SMC.and trolls are unavoidable, the larger the audience, the more trolls. but thats what we got the ignore list for, if we dont enjoy their entertainment.what about linked servers? would they share a chat channel with their hosts or will they get their own to keep the last bit community left on those together? when seperate channels you will need to post 'calls to arms' on all linking chatchannels tho.

Not sure about maps. I don't know if that would just be too high on the spam level. I'd be great with it. But it might be overkill.

Links, I don't think so. To me, so much has been said about losing server identity. I am not part of a link, so I am not sure how it would be viewed, but was looking to re-establish some of the server identity.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Not sure about maps. I don't know if that would just be too high on the spam level. I'd be great with it. But it might be overkill.

Links, I don't think so. To me, so much has been said about losing server identity. I am not part of a link, so I am not sure how it would be viewed, but was looking to re-establish some of the server identity.

in WvW our teamchat is not spammed much so i guess serverchat would be good aswell, but i dont know when enabled in pve zones if it get also used to spamm pve events, then it can get out of control :D maybe need a server pve chat and server wvw chat ?

i was a few times on link servers but after they have been links for a while, some still got their teamspeak servers running but only a few people on it that have been there for a long time. out of both german and a few international links i have been on (EU), only dzagonur did actually still lead on their teamspeak regularly. i think at least having a chat channel to trashtalk their hosts would keep them better together or get new people in WvW that are on linked servers, connected to their 'old community'

IDK, maybe just give us the option to get team chat in our windows regardless of what zone we are in. Probably wouldn't help preserve whatever community may still exist on link servers(I used to be on SoR and there was virtually none), but it would be a fairly easy change to implement, and I think it would be useful for community on the host servers. If nothing else, we could continually discuss our weird kinks and whatever other M-rated stuff that normally comes up in team chat.What? Your server doesn't have that? ;)

@Mysteriax.6049 said:I support both extending /t chat to PvE zones (all zones or just cities) or creating a new /server chat accessible in those zones. The first idea seems simpler and easier to implement. We need new ways to contact our PvE counterparts.

I guess my point is we have lost that connection first because of megaserver, then second because of links.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@ThunderPanda.1872 said:If they're worried about pve complaints, at least make a wvw lobby that is instanced by server and team chat extends into that lobby.

Like any chat channel, it could be turned off.

I mean, it's one of those dumb design issues. If it is off by default, more than half of the gw2 players won't even know it exists in the first place including those who plays wvw. If it's on by default, you will see many many angry people who don't know how to change the settings and new players who have no clue what the kitten is going on.

But of course in an ideal world server wide chat is ideal

@Raymond Lukes.6305 said:Hey guys,. A little late to the thread. My gut is telling me that this isn't feasible but I can ask around a bit tomorrow.

Technically, it should work the same way team chat works in WvW - cross map communication for those on the same team. PvE has more or less done away with this sort of thing already, but if it could be brought back, the server vs server first competitions might come back too (think Teq [bG] and Triple Headed Worm [Deso])

@Reverence.6915 said:

@"Raymond Lukes.6305" said:Hey guys,. A little late to the thread. My gut is telling me that this isn't feasible but I can ask around a bit tomorrow.

Technically, it should work the same way team chat works in WvW - cross map communication for those on the same team. PvE has more or less done away with this sort of thing already, but if it could be brought back, the server vs server first competitions might come back too (think Teq [bG] and Triple Headed Worm [Deso])

All teamchat did was giving people more ways to "attentionwhore" and act like a toxic kid and troll around because more people would notice them.I dont see it being used much to what it's purpose is for and most of the time i just disable tc completely.After tc got introduced i dont know how many people i've blocked from my server.Eventhough it's a people's issues ( some love it,i hate it),but i see the same thing in other games where people use a global chat to troll and being as toxic as one can be.And when confronted it's " just for fun,Bro".Guess im just too old for this shit and dont see the fun of it ,but i know many that do.Different generation,different times..People have a different sense of fun nowadays which i can't seem to comprehend as i think it's all childish toxic gibberish.So no,i don't think a global chat like this would be healthy for the games community as mostly the wrong people would be making most use of this.

@X T D.6458 said:

@Raymond Lukes.6305 said:Hey guys,. A little late to the thread. My gut is telling me that this isn't feasible but I can ask around a bit tomorrow.

That's too bad...was really looking forward to having people who are doing PvE seeing me yell in team chat to stop using #$%$&$& magic find food and mango pie grrrrrrrr.... :3

Lol. Omnomberry Magic find food FTW.

Now, I wasn't asking for Team chat going to server. I was asking for a separate server chat channel.

Team should stay just that: team in WvW.

@X T D.6458 said:

That's too bad...was really looking forward to having people who are doing PvE seeing me yell in team chat to stop using #$%$&$& magic find food and mango pie grrrrrrrr.... :3

but i got these mango pies with my lvl 80 booster!

probably best to get another channel but if its the only way, then teamchat on pve maps would be great.tho i think the problem is for team chat, that while on pve map you are not connected to a 'WvW team' or a world for the chat servers since we got those megaservers.i could immagine a new chat in the Mist War window (B - if you didnt change it) would be easier, as this will allways show the version for your server. but would people on pve maps look there?

@MUDse.7623 said:

but i got these mango pies with my lvl 80 booster!

probably best to get another channel but if its the only way, then teamchat on pve maps would be great.tho i think the problem is for team chat, that while on pve map you are not connected to a 'WvW team' or a world for the chat servers since we got those megaservers.i could immagine a new chat in the Mist War window (B - if you didnt change it) would be easier, as this will allways show the version for your server. but would people on pve maps look there?

So: if we think about guild channels: they serve all servers, all maps etc. if we think about party chat, it does the same thing as well.

I don't think PvE players wouldn't check the mists area at first.

Team chat doesn't get suppressed like map and some other chat channels. I would want this channel to get suppressed a little faster because if it could be used as a more open chat channel, too many would turn it off.

With responsible people, this would be a great idea. But with the people we ACTUALLY have, it would turn into another spam fest of the same message posted 100 times (no exaggeration) in a 2 second window like the /t chat spam we currently have. Sure it's possible to block someone, but when a whole guild is doing it "for the lulz", you can't even get to the top of the messages to find everyone who does it so you can block them individually.

edit: fest, not fast.

@"Brigand.9502" said:With responsible people, this would be a great idea. But with the people we ACTUALLY have, it would turn into another spam fast of the same message posted 100 times (no exaggeration) in a 2 second window like the /t chat spam we currently have. Sure it's possible to block someone, but when a whole guild is doing it "for the lulz", you can't even get to the top of the messages to find everyone who does it so you can block them individually.

I agree. That's why I suggested using more strict 'suppressed' rules. Like mail... so hopefully it would be decreased when the trolls realize they can't spam it.

Just for WvW?

I know it's doable.

If consoles which have far less 'requirements' can do it, so can any MMO.

Want to save WvW in one significant way? One that would go far with the WvW community?

A channel for voice chat isn't asking much.

Archived