ANET, what about laurels?

Shirlias.8104

Since i started to play the game there was just an update for laurels if I recall correctly.And because of the LS1 boxes from gemstore instead through laurels, and the fact that new seasons are always avabile, i guess there won't be any other upgrade LS related.

So, what about the future?I mean, will be laurels something like an old currency ( like HoT or Core game ) with specific items and no further upgrades or are you planning anything?Because it's a currency which is avaible only through login ( timegate then ) and some achievement chests, i do expect some improvements...

...are my expectations way too high?

What do players think about this timegate currency avaible for all players ( core/hot/pof , except f2p users )?

@"Shirlias.8104" said:Since i started to play the game there was just an update for laurels if I recall correctly.And because of the LS1 boxes from gemstore instead through laurels, and the fact that new seasons are always avabile, i guess there won't be any other upgrade LS related.

So, what about the future?I mean, will be laurels something like an old currency ( like HoT or Core game ) with specific items and no further upgrades or are you planning anything?Because it's a currency which is avaible only through login ( timegate then ) and some achievement chests, i do expect some improvements...

...are my expectations way too high?

What do players think about this timegate currency avaible for all players ( core/hot/pof , except f2p users )?

First of all, apologies, I am struggling to understand the exact question, please could you simplify or rephrase.Laurels have been around for quite some time. They have been time-gated currency for most of their existence I believe or obtained from AP chests.They give access to some rather useful items such as ascended amulets and the infusions which can be inserted there (among other items).It's a great "secondary" currency and I don't see why there is an issue with them.

Could you clarify what you are aiming to change? Are we saying there is insufficient supply of them? Is the issue that there is a limited number of items which can be bought with them and you would like that list expanded?

"expecting more" without specifying is rather ambiguous.

The question is very simple.

Will Laurels be treated as every other currency?If so, there won't be any other item avaible through laurels in the future, and everybody will manage to use them the way he likes.If there will be more items avaible through laurels in the future, then everybody will save it.

An answer from the staff would be appreciated, so players would be able decide if save em or use them in exchange for golds.

@"Shirlias.8104" said:An answer from the staff would be appreciated, so players would be able decide if save em or use them in exchange for golds.

Maybe Anet's future decision about adding more laurel sources or items that can be bought with laurels depends on what players do with them. They know exactly how many laurels the average player has. gw2efficiency has a table that accounts for all players that put up their API key there:

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.laurels

Apparently, people keep a stash of about 84 Laurels on their account and spend additional laurels. It doesn't seem to matter much how long someone played (using the median to ignore outliers). I have no idea what people buy with laurels, but Anet knows. I have 112 Laurels atm, that's average for my total playtime. And my behaviour is like the data suggests. I keep a stash and spend surplus laurels. Last time I spent a lot of them at once, it was for crafting materials. Then sometimes you might need an ascended recipe that costs 5 laurels.

The market seems to be balanced that way, if Anet added more items that people want, they would buy them immediately and then spend no laurels until their stash is filled up again. Now, if players were actually hoarding hundreds of laurels, I think Anet would be more inclined to add new items. Our hoarding/spending behaviour might directly affect their plans.

@Taygus.4571 said:If they do update laurelaS, I doubt itll just be for those who saved 5 years of laurels as it completely locks out new players.

Go ahead and use your laurels for gold. Many do.

It won't lock anybody, but will be a time gated event which could be prevented by saving them.That's the point of the whole thread.

Adding 10 items total cost 200 laurels will exclude players?No, but if they really are planning to make something like this, in order to prevent 3 months of time gate waiting ( because reasons, since i don't like timegate stuff ), saving them would be the best deal.

@Shirlias.8104 said:The question is very simple.

Will Laurels be treated as every other currency?

Every currency has a different use, though its often the case that the pool for purchasable items for any given currency can expand at any time. It's also possible that it may never expand.

If so, there won't be any other item avaible through laurels in the future, and everybody will manage to use them the way he likes.If there will be more items avaible through laurels in the future, then everybody will save it.

Personally, I'd recommend you save it either way. Considering the value of some purchasable (like the material bags) fluctuates continuously, unless you have a specific immediate need for the laurels, it's better to collect them and spend ONLY when necessary. That way, you can always capitalize on them by buying the most valuable items at any given time (in that case, laurels can be seen as a long term investment irrespective of whether or not their usage will expand to new purchasables).

An answer from the staff would be appreciated, so players would be able decide if save em or use them in exchange for golds.

I doubt ANet staff would want to make any promises or commitments one way or another, because of the risk of contradicting themselves in the future if plans change.

They just added additional laurel sinks with PoF. Marshal, Harrier and Grieving trinkets cost laurels, brand spraks and mosaics or trade contracts :https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_trinketAnd as an altoholic I really dislike this decision.Since laurels are buildup per account it does not matter if you have 5, 20 or 40 characters. You get the same amount of laurels by daily logging in. But if (just an example) I want to put harrier stats on all of my characters someone with 40 characters may run out of laurels and has no alternative way of acquiring the currency.I very much preferred the way it was done for the HoT LS maps, since the currency could be earned by just playing there and no laurels were required on top of it.

TL;DRI do not like laurels for 'per character' (gear) purchase, it is ok for 'per account' purchases.

@Shirlias.8104 said:The question is very simple.

Will Laurels be treated as every other currency?If so, there won't be any other item avaible through laurels in the future, and everybody will manage to use them the way he likes.If there will be more items avaible through laurels in the future, then everybody will save it.

They already added new items that require laurels with PoF... Too many laurels actually.

@"Nerzul.6875" said:They just added additional laurel sinks with PoF. Marshal, Harrier and Grieving trinkets cost laurels, brand spraks and mosaics or trade contracts :https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_trinketAnd as an altoholic I really dislike this decision.Since laurels are buildup per account it does not matter if you have 5, 20 or 40 characters. You get the same amount of laurels by daily logging in. But if (just an example) I want to put harrier stats on all of my characters someone with 40 characters may run out of laurels and has no alternative way of acquiring the currency.I very much preferred the way it was done for the HoT LS maps, since the currency could be earned by just playing there and no laurels were required on top of it.

TL;DRI do not like laurels for 'per character' (gear) purchase, it is ok for 'per account' purchases.What he said!

@"Shirlias.8104" said:Will Laurels be treated as every other currency?How is it treated differently from any other currency now?

If so, there won't be any other item avaible through laurels in the future, and everybody will manage to use them the way he likes.There have been updates to what can be bought with laurels in the past.

• Essence of Llamatic Elegance
  • Essence of Skrittish Charity
  • Essence of Legendary Shards
  • PoF ascended trinkets

If there will be more items avaible through laurels in the future, then everybody will save it.You can expect that there will be others in the future.

Even if ANet were sure enough of their current plans to say, "nope, no plans", they have changed their mind about stuff like this in the past.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Shirlias.8104 said:Will Laurels be treated as every other currency?How is it treated differently from any other currency now?

As said it has been used for some skins/items which have been implemented before ( not trinkets, which is only an uppgrade ).

I got your point, but if i won't get a response i will simply save them ( or most of them ).If you consider every possibility, it's definitely the best choice ( but if an answer will be given, then, depends the asnwer, i could recinsider ).

Archived