and to kill boredom and practice ???

Aavataris.5720

(translated into Google from Spanish to English)I understand that as "ideal" the game does not want to include the 1v1 as a way to rank, that's fine.... but what about just as a FUN ??

Say you're in fractals waiting for other people to join or waiting for an event to start, could not it be an option to challenge another player to a duel to kill time (either participating or watching)? It is enough that both can attack each other and be invulnerable to the other players during the duel (but the duel ends immediately when entering combat with enemies, are in the conditions that are, and can not challenge other players while is in combat with enemies, to avoid abuses / traps).

In addition, 1v1 duels also encourage the community by taking players to practice/challenge each other, get to know each other (either fighting or talking/betting as spectators), as well as improving their own tactics and builds.

It would be fun but usually pve builds are not meant to be used for pvp. I think you are proposing it just for fun but... I don't know how much fun could it be dueling with pvp builds, it could be totally unbalanced.

The issue could be resolved introducing a fast button to switch automatically equip/traits/utilities saved before (and it would be super useful in many other situations) but it doesn't seem like something we can expect soon.

I remember people asking for a dueling arena in the black citadel that's instanced..... "it will disturb our gameplay" the PvE players said... An arena in the new LA for others to watch? Still disturbs the gameplay.

So I wouldn't get your hopes up, this is a PvE game and the PvE players have spoken that even if it's completely out of their way and out of their sight, it will still disturb them.They do how ever like to point out that if you want to duel you can do 1 of 3 things such as

• Go to WvW (even though this is server based)
  • Go to Guild Hall (so recruit some random, go to guild hall and duel there assuming you're in a big enough guild to have an arena)
  • Go to PvP (amulet system, randoms join in and troll so so forth)

Not that any of that is actually helpful.

@"sephiroth.4217" said:I remember people asking for a dueling arena in the black citadel that's instanced..... "it will disturb our gameplay" the PvE players said... An arena in the new LA for others to watch? Still disturbs the gameplay.

So I wouldn't get your hopes up, this is a PvE game and the PvE players have spoken that even if it's completely out of their way and out of their sight, it will still disturb them.They do how ever like to point out that if you want to duel you can do 1 of 3 things such as

• Go to WvW (even though this is server based)
  • Go to Guild Hall (so recruit some random, go to guild hall and duel there assuming you're in a big enough guild to have an arena)
  • Go to PvP (amulet system, randoms join in and troll so so forth)

Not that any of that is actually helpful.

Ahh randoms going a fight that’s obviously in a dueling server. Had that happen last night, necro came in on the other side and interuppted my duel so I waited until his was busy and downed him then downed him again when he got back up. He left the server.

Dueling in WvW is completely different though. The specs are way different and more powerful so I wouldn’t advise that for a strictly PvP player

@Jace al Thor.6745 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:A game without duels ruins the immersion. Anet, you need to add duels because without them my gameplay is disturbed.

Good try but I’m afraid it won’t work. Our PvE overlords have spoken and they don’t want them.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:A game without duels ruins the immersion. Anet, you need to add duels because without them my gameplay is disturbed.

A game with duels ruins my immersion. Anet you need not to add duels, because with them my gameplay is disturbed.

It's not like people will be dueling in the gemstore window

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

Good try but I’m afraid it won’t work. Our PvE overlords have spoken and they don’t want them.

A game with duels ruins my immersion. Anet you need not to add duels, because with them my gameplay is disturbed.

lol, the mental image of opening the gemstore with big worded notice "watch this duel now, WATCH IT or lose your account!" or something. xD

You'll see them duelling in every city, in every event, in every fractal/raid/dungeon, in every living story instance, in your personal story, in your home instance, when you use the bank, when you open LFG, when you send a mail... and watch out, don't turn around because they'll be duelling behind you... :o

/s

I think the presence of a million Commanders running around all of pve can't be topped in terms of breaking immersion.

@"Curunen.8729" said:

But then, do you prefer to deny the whole experience of duels to those who want to take advantage of it and enjoy the duels because "it bothers you to see them in passing"? It's unnecessarily selfish, is not it? : /Moreover, because Anet could add an option "do not see duels" (saving resources) and "not receive invitations to duels" ... and so everyone happy.(although I still think that it is exaggerated to look for the bad thing to an idea that hardly affects those who do not want to use it)

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

No they're be dueling during dynamic events, scaling it up but fighting each other. The truth is, dueling adds NOTHING to the game by way of immersion. That is to say I've read countless fantasy books, watched countless fantasy movies, and during events, or even while waiting for something to happen, people don't randomly start dueling. People who insist not having dueling is immersion breaking simply haven't thought this through. You're in a world at war, so of course, you just randomly challenge people, strangers, to fight anywhere you want. Well, that's not really what happens.

There are people who set up dueling rooms in PvP, perfect place to go and duel or the arena in guild halls, far more immersive, from the point of view of realism anyway, than just randomly challenging strangers for no reason at events. Just my take on it.

@Aavataris.5720 said:

@"Curunen.8729" said:

But then, do you prefer to deny the whole experience of duels to those who want to take advantage of it and enjoy the duels because "it bothers you to see them in passing"? It's unnecessarily selfish, is not it? : /Moreover, because Anet could add an option "do not see duels" (saving resources) and "not receive invitations to duels" ... and so everyone happy.(although I still think that
it is exaggerated to look for the bad thing to an idea that hardly affects those who do not want to use it
)

Hey I'm being sarcastic, hence the "/s"!

I've always been in favour of duels for goodness sake, every time a thread like this has popped up over the years! :)

(translated into Google from Spanish to English)ADDED: According to what they contributed me and what I indicated in the forums in English and Spanish:

• Including the correct option to choose if: "you receive a request for a duel", "you do not receive requests for a duel" or "the same player can not send you more than 1 notification of dueling in 5/10 minutes". .
  • That when entering a duel, your configuration is that established in PvP (which is much more destined to that, almost in its entirety), regardless of what mode or where you are, and returning to normal after the end of the duel.
  • It does not cost anything to add an exclusion for the events of the people in mourning. In this way, if there is ANY duel close to an event that does not receive damage from the enemies, it does not end, but does not count for the "number of players in the event" counter and does not increase the difficulty of the event (there is really no reason because duels can negatively influence events).

@Vayne.8563 said:

No they're be dueling during dynamic events, scaling it up but fighting each other. The truth is, dueling adds NOTHING to the game by way of immersion. That is to say I've read countless fantasy books, watched countless fantasy movies, and during events, or even while waiting for something to happen, people don't randomly start dueling. People who insist not having dueling is immersion breaking simply haven't thought this through. You're in a world at war, so of course, you just randomly challenge people, strangers, to fight anywhere you want. Well, that's not really what happens.

There are people who set up dueling rooms in PvP, perfect place to go and duel or the arena in guild halls, far more immersive, from the point of view of realism anyway, than just randomly challenging strangers for no reason at events. Just my take on it.

Because everyone in the world gets along and never fight for no apparent reason.The DuellistAlexander Hamiltonhigh school beefbar fightsunregulated transaction disputesharry potterother mmos have dueling and it does not cause nearly the scale of problems you are implying

some of the hero challenges are in fact duels

scaling up dynamic events is a crime of the lazy leeching afkers more than a couple duelists would ever be (see tequatl)

Dueling was a thing in far a way times, and random fighting was common as well.

Challenging for a top spot like in The Postman.

In reality, and fantasy genres dueling and random fighting do happen.

But is GW2 an immersive game? Its like a mashup of pop culture and science-fantasy.

I have seen Luffy, The Flash, Samus, Ronald McDonald, Santa Claus, and even Jesus in Tyria. If that is not immersion breaking, a few duels here and there wont be either.

@Aavataris.5720 Is it possible to edit the thread title to something that might indicate what it is about and attract more eyes?

This seems simple to me.

1. I target a character and type /duel
  2. That character accepts or declines (options have a checkbox to auto-decline all requests)
  3. If that character accepts, we are both ported to an arena instance (groups will also be ported if they "accept" invite to watch - another option to decline all options to watch party members duel)
  4. Countdown begins. FIGHT!
  5. Ideally, once in the arena, whoever is there can fight other people in the group, one at a time
  6. BONUS if you can toggle between "WORLD" and "PVP" builds (but if it HAD to be one or the other, then PvP builds with amulets is best, imo)

No one's immersion is ruined. I can quickly and easily have fun and practice fighting different classes in a controlled environment.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

Because everyone in the world gets along and never fight for no apparent reason.The DuellistAlexander Hamiltonhigh school beefbar fightsunregulated transaction disputesharry potterother mmos have dueling and it does not cause nearly the scale of problems you are implying

scaling up dynamic events is a crime of the lazy leeching afkers more than a couple duelists would ever be (see tequatl)

But is GW2 an immersive game? Its like a mashup of pop culture and science-fantasy.

I have seen Luffy, The Flash, Samus, Ronald McDonald, Santa Claus, and even Jesus in Tyria. If that is not immersion breaking, a few duels here and there wont be either.

@Aavataris.5720 Is it possible to edit the thread title to something that might indicate what it is about and attract more eyes?

Well put.

And surely there should be a flag to auto decline (which is set on as default) for pve players who don't want to ever be bothered by it - so they'll never see any messages about it.

@"pah.4931" said:

It would not transport the players to another instance, but it would activate the invulnerability and intangibility (and maybe the PvP build/configuration) of the duelists for all the others. That way:

• They do not affect their environment, neutral players or allied players.
  • They will not be affected by anything, except for the damage of the monstersor enemy players (ending the duel immediately).
  • They do not count for nearby events, avoiding affecting the PvE and MvM.
  • If another player has selected "do not see the duels", your Client will ignore them (sharing less data).

In this way, those who like duels can use them to practice and WAITING, without affecting those who do not like duels and without abuse of invulnerability.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

Yes, but they didn't duel ANYWHERE. They dueled on fields of honor. Specified places. Not in the middle of a city or tavern or a battlefield when a war is going on.

Archived