Motion Sickness: Two questions.

Dear All

I have two questions related to motion sickness.

1. At times mounts came new into the game, motion sickness has been an important issue. I would like to have feedback: How is status now? Did players who had that problem find solutions to cope with? If yes, how? If not, how do they manage ingame now? Without using mounts? Does that work?

2. Is anyone suffering motion sickness at the several swirling visual effects existing in the new area Sandswept Isle? Like for example the attraction into orbital movement around the boss when doing the meta in Sanswept Isle? If yes, how do you cope with it? Is there a way to mitigate the effect?

My personal case:

1. Re mounts: I am lucky. I had a bit motion sickness at mounts but achieved to manage it relatively well. The last remaining trouble is that I can't take part to races. I can do short ones only, and that once only. The motion sickness comes at long ones or when I try to repeat in a row. That's however very much OK for me as I am not a fan of racing. :)
  2. Re swirling visual effects: I am less lucky. The meta event in Sandswept Isle gets me sick within seconds. I can simply not do it. No fun. :(

Thank you for feedback :3

Mounts: I stay zoomed out as far as possible. My camera is set to a lot of vertical offset and a wide FoV. I also have camera shake turned off. If the zoom out/in triggers any discomfort I have a way of panning the camera in order to feel in control of the motion -- I can swing my own camera pretty wildly but get insta-ill if I watch someone else's screen doing it.

Vortex spin: Again, it's a matter of panning the camera to compensate for the movement. Or sometimes I just disassociate my eyes from the action on the screen, focusing on the boss target bar and trusting to my auto face to let me shoot at the target (ie when I am even slightly facing my current target, my character swivels to face it to shoot, so I don't have to steer to target on top of damping the motion via countering camera panning).

Mostly it's just being zoomed way out with a wide FoV, though. I've never experienced the really bad mount motion sickness because I was already zoomed and wide before mounts were a thing.

I'm usually the poster child for motion sickness, but I've never had any problems with mounts or combat conditions-- the latter, I mostly find annoying and frustrating.

I've never been on the new map, so I have no idea how that would impact me.

I had some major problems with that jackal mastery insight in the sky (Elon Riverlands, I think..?), though. The way the sands swirled in opposition to the path and to the jackal itself made me feel really sick and disoriented. I fell down the first time and took a rage/nausea breather. The second time I had to take a couple of look away breaks to make it to the end.

I usually play pretty far zoomed out, though, and my FOV is set to maximum most of the time. My usual motion sickness problems come with jerky, bouncing cameras if my character in any game is going over rocks (GW1's camera is terrible!), shakycam, and places where your motion conflicts with moving backgrounds-- like Last Train to Cairo in SWL or the kitten train in SWTOR's Umbara flashpoint.

I got motion sickness/vertigo/headache from mounts during the first PoF beta in which the raptor was previewed. Scrolling the view out a bit stopped that from recurring. I also get it when completing the heart in Crystal Oasis where you move through the glowing flies(?) so the raptor can "eat" them. What triggers it there is rapid changing of direction, especially when scrolled in close due to proximity to walls. To combat that issue, I have to slow down. I don't like it, but it works.

I'm ok most of the time if I'm careful. Zoom out to max and no jerky movements are a must. I also try not to look straight at the screen but rather at the edges and/or keep as much stuff as possible outside my monitor in view when things get rough.

To me, the skimmer is the worst offender when it comes to motion sickness in GW2, as its movement seems to be further detached from where I'm trying to control it to go than any of the other mounts (or maybe I'm just more used to the other mounts' movement since I didn't enjoy the skimmer from the start). Last time it was really bad was just a couple of weeks ago when I tried to cross the Cursed Shore in a hurry by putting the character on a skimmer and taking the sea route (from Malchor's Leap to the Burried Archives jp). By the time I had reached the jp I was feeling so sick that I went to bed two hours early :( . Fortunately, most of the time I catch things earlier and can work around the motion sickness.

The swirling movements that have been introduced in several fights/enemies lately (there's some awakened that move you around in older maps, too) doesn't work too well for me either, but I found that the event areas in Sandswept Isles mostly have little rocks and stuff that I can use to box my characters in to the point where they stay stationary. If that's impossible then I just try to squeeze in enough attacks (spaced out with recovery breaks inbetween) to get event credit and spend the rest of the time either outside the movement range or mostly looking at my character's feet and trying to blank out what's going on on the rest of my screen (while hopefully staying alive ;) ). I don't often take part in these events at all though, mostly just when I'm in the area with friends that want to join the event.

@FogLeg.9354 said:2 - Flying around in Magnetics Lab in Sandswept IslesOuch, I totally blocked that out ;) . I've done it three times so far (for 3 map completions) and dread the next character I want to complete that map on. That heart is simply awful :( . I mostly did this with eyes closed, circling around blindly and randomly pressing keys until I had the heart done ;) .

Archived