The Holo-News Krewe

hugo.4705

We have recently seen that a new achievement have been added to Side-Stories "complete the survey of the Itinerant krewe at Southsun cove".I don't know who had this idea, but it's awesome! Great thanks to him.They told us about an Holographic Newspaper which is cool and so why not pushing the concept further? Like I don't know, maybe an item or a tab to consult the news? The Possibilities are infinite: It's really easy to make a title! "Citizens terrified by an unknown creature in Godslost's swamp!" "Dragons: myth or reality?" "What is happening inside this floating cube over Sandswept Isles? We are Investigating! Stay tuned!!" and so on..It could surely be done easily with random generators: One to generate the area name, one for the event, and eventually a last one for the concerned peoples. For the article's body, yeah it would require some works.And about the krewe herself: Why not making them a headquarter somewhere? In Rata Sum or in Lion's Arch? Don't hesitate to tell me your feedback about this little recent addition ^^

As much as I'd like to see a newspaper in game, it's just too much work.Writing even mockup articles isn't done quick or easy and if you want to put it into a game it needs to meet a certain level of quality, it needs to be researched and it needs to be localized and translated. It's something I could see a RP guild/player get something out of, a nice thread to hang your personal background on to and maybe post some of the articles somewhere.

However, I liked that they added the news team as characters and hope they are going somewhere. I usually get this feeling with the side stories. I enjoy the creativity and the open worldness of the events. The NPCs added are often times great and intriguing background characters that could possibly tell you so much and the mysteries are great. But sadly ANet hasn't delivered that often(so far) on many of the questions raised by these events. Things are looking better, that they made us use the same device as last side story is an improvement and that they reused the same NPCs as well as it holds the story together. I hope our news team will take this route and will stick with us, show up every now and then and keep us informed. On the other hand, when have you last thought about the Krait Oil sales-asura? Or when did you last use that teleport device?The side stories give ANet the chance to tell a story in the open world and make small changes to the world, like the statue for Trahearne in the grove or small scale events that get added here an there. What failed as the big concept of the game back in the days continues to be and I like it very much. So when they tell that story, I always hope it's going to be a good one, with an ending, some entertaining dialogues or characters. Add a bit of loot and maybe a nod to something and I'm sold.

Much like Evon is used to advertise gemstore items on gw2's website, i could easily see them using this new newspaper to advertise all the contents of a patch, be it fractals/Story/Zones/legendaries etc. Would help a lot for visibility, as ingame nothing tells you that new content has arrived, except for story chapters.

I know that Anet is very busy with living stories/fractals ans extensions, so I'm asking, why not collaborate with fans to make project like this possible? I'm surely alone to think about it, but I would enjoy to help them freely with the newspaper or anything... They already used fans in the past: "duskk's boom box" themes as example have been remixed by dusk a music composer/remixer on youtube, and they made an item with his themes! As you underlined it, surely a newspaper is a work for an RP player or guild. Indeed, why not involving more the community into this game? It cost nothing to ask players for a location name, a quest name, a plot twist they would want to see... :)

But one of the best way to use it, is as penguin said, to showcase new content, zones.... As for evon, make an holographic display to tell you about the news! Personally when I launch the game, I don't care about the little 3 news tab over the play button!

Totally agree, but when treating living season, the newspaper should stay vague, like "Living season name" - we are investigating stay tuned~, you can meet them on the newest map to answer their polls and when the next LS is released, they give you a real structured article about this ancient LS. And of course they can't force players to read it! Again it depends on how they introduce it; as an item that you can obtain through the holo-krewe members or on a website.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought about something: We could have some recording devices and make records for them as side-story quests ^^ And dunno maybe have a checklist or doing the theme we want to earn the title "journalist" or "detective". It could be simply resolving little enigmas in a small town.

• ArenaNet Staff

Oh wow, we talked about an in-game newspaper years and years ago. I believe that the reason this did not come to pass was because the bandwidth required to make that happen would be at the sacrifice of other game content that would be enjoyed and appreciated by what was felt to be a significantly higher number of players. I am not saying it isn't a good idea, or that it will never happen -- I don't know that at all. However, I believe that it was not implemented in order to create other content.

Thank you for the answer ^^ But don't know, surely it's not something created to be important, but I feel like it is; I mean an totally new krewe with no lab or headquarter wandering only in southsun cove? That's strange! :D I also think that Living story and extensions are important, but not only that: little eye blink and cool additions like these have a word to say :)

• ArenaNet Staff

@"hugo.4705" said:Thank you for the answer ^^ But don't know, surely it's not something created to be important, but I feel like it is; I mean an totally new krewe with no lab or headquarter wandering only in southsun cove? That's strange! ::dizzy:

Strange? It's downright intriguing! I truly have no idea if that's "going somewhere" or if it's just a nice little add to the game, but I like it!

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@"hugo.4705" said:Thank you for the answer ^^ But don't know, surely it's not something created to be important, but I feel like it is; I mean an totally new krewe with no lab or headquarter wandering only in southsun cove? That's strange! ::dizzy:

Strange? It's downright intriguing! I truly have no idea if that's "going somewhere" or if it's just a nice little add to the game, but I like it!

I find it interesting the reason they say they are down there:

! They say they are looking to something happening in the ocean between Southsun and Orr. I am also curious why they asked me what I like for pets.>!

@Darlgon.9273 said:

! They say they are looking to something happening in the ocean between Southsun and Orr. I am also curious why they asked me what I like for pets.>!

Vote Dog

Agree, but if the pets question is in fact "what appearance should have sbubbles the sea dragon?" I answered cat xD an aquatic cat-dragon what shocked me is achiev name: poll on actual important subject and it is obviously underwater. The other journalist said some tourists reported movements in eastern deep waters.... hmmmm

@"hugo.4705" said:Agree, but if the pets question is in fact "what appearance should have sbubbles the sea dragon?" I answered cat xD an aquatic cat-dragon what shocked me is achiev name: poll on actual important subject and it is obviously underwater. The other journalist said some tourists reported movements in eastern deep waters.... hmmmm

https://i.gifer.com/1QnO.gif

Just saying

@Randulf.7614 said:

Vote Dog

My Asura LIKES his pet Charr.

Archived