Mastery training spam — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Mastery training spam

Wokzombie.7124Wokzombie.7124 Member
edited May 16, 2018 in Players Helping Players

I recently started playing Guild wars 2, I own both expansions and all Living World seasons but I decided to play the game in chronological order.
As in, I want to do core Tyria map completion, my personal story and the Living World Season 1 & 2 before I start Heart of Thorns.
But when I hit 80 I got hit with this message:

"Your current ability is fully trained and ready to master!
gw012.jpg

Which came up every time I got XP.

So people told me I needed to do the first couple missions of Heart of Thorns to unlock Masteries and get rid of it.
So I did, and it did.

But every time the XP bar is full I get it again, and it won't go away until I spend Mastery points, even if I don't have Mastery points.

My question is, is there a way to make this thing shut up so I can just play core Tyria content?

Comments

  • Hoodie.1045Hoodie.1045 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Wokzombie.7124 said:
    I recently started playing Guild wars 2, I own both expansions and all Living World seasons but I decided to play the game in chronological order.
    As in, I want to do core Tyria map completion, my personal story and the Living World Season 1 & 2 before I start Heart of Thorns.
    But when I hit 80 I got hit with this message:

    "Your current ability is fully trained and ready to master!
    gw012.jpg

    Which came up every time I got XP.

    So people told me I needed to do the first couple missions of Heart of Thorns to unlock Masteries and get rid of it.
    So I did, and it did.

    But every time the XP bar is full I get it again, and it won't go away until I spend Mastery points, even if I don't have Mastery points.

    My question is, is there a way to make this thing shut up so I can just play core Tyria content?

    Yes, there is. Use the mastery points you've earned to increase your mastery rank and unlock new mastery abilities.

    Karras The Engineer

  • Kraggy.4169Kraggy.4169 Member ✭✭
    edited May 16, 2018

    @Hoodie.1045 said:

    @Wokzombie.7124 said:
    But every time the XP bar is full I get it again, and it won't go away until I spend Mastery points, even if I don't have Mastery points.

    Yes, there is. Use the mastery points you've earned to increase your mastery rank and unlock new mastery abilities.

    " even if I don't have Mastery points."

    If he doesn't HAVE any he can't spend them!

  • Hoodie.1045Hoodie.1045 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kraggy.4169 said:

    @Hoodie.1045 said:

    @Wokzombie.7124 said:
    But every time the XP bar is full I get it again, and it won't go away until I spend Mastery points, even if I don't have Mastery points.

    Yes, there is. Use the mastery points you've earned to increase your mastery rank and unlock new mastery abilities.

    " even if I don't have Mastery points."

    If he doesn't HAVE any he can't spend them!

    If that's the case, go to the zones where you can obtain mastery points. Zones like Mount Maelstrom, Fireheart Rise, Dredgehaunt Cliffs etc.

    Karras The Engineer

  • chrisjfinlay.5614chrisjfinlay.5614 Member ✭✭✭

    You can find Tyria mastery points to commune with here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_Insights_(Central_Tyria)

    You also get them from Living World story progress, achievements etc.
    Heart of Thorns MPs are given out like candy at halloween...

  • Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Wokzombie.7124 said:
    As in, I want to do core Tyria map completion, my personal story and the Living World Season 1 & 2 before I start Heart of Thorns.

    You will be disappointed if you really want to do LWS1. It was available to play through ONLY at the time it came out, which was several years ago. Even players who played it back then can't play it on new characters. The most you can get is a set of "recap" cinematics outlining the events and the major characters so that you aren't totally lost at the beginning of LWS2.

    @Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

  • Elva.6372Elva.6372 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2018

    @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

    @Wokzombie.7124 said:
    As in, I want to do core Tyria map completion, my personal story and the Living World Season 1 & 2 before I start Heart of Thorns.

    You will be disappointed if you really want to do LWS1.

    While true that you can't "do the LWS1" -you can actually do Season 1 History Lesson on your chracter:

    Remembering Scarlet's War is the sole story step for the chapter Season 1 History Lesson within the Scarlet's War section of the Story Journal. It serves as a partial recap of Living World Season 1.

    As a player who likes to keep stuff in chronological order, GW2 makes it challenging but you can at least have the story flow in the right order.

    The Mastery Points and progression system overall tend to be a bit disjointed from the story flow as in there's no real correlation in what maps you will have to travel to and so forth.

    Remembrance, fallen from heaven, and madness risen from hell...

  • Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Elva.6372 said:

    @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

    @Wokzombie.7124 said:
    As in, I want to do core Tyria map completion, my personal story and the Living World Season 1 & 2 before I start Heart of Thorns.

    You will be disappointed if you really want to do LWS1.

    While true that you can't "do the LWS1" -you can actually do Season 1 History Lesson on your chracter:

    Yes, I know. That's the 'set of "recap" cinematics that I referred to. (You can also talk to the NPC to get an idea of who Marjorie, Kasmeer, Rox, etc. are and what they did.)

    @Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

  • Elva.6372Elva.6372 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2018

    @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

    @Elva.6372 said:

    @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

    @Wokzombie.7124 said:
    As in, I want to do core Tyria map completion, my personal story and the Living World Season 1 & 2 before I start Heart of Thorns.

    You will be disappointed if you really want to do LWS1.

    While true that you can't "do the LWS1" -you can actually do Season 1 History Lesson on your chracter:

    Yes, I know. That's the 'set of "recap" cinematics that I referred to. (You can also talk to the NPC to get an idea of who Marjorie, Kasmeer, Rox, etc. are and what they did.)

    Sorry, just started my first cup of coffee -hadn't kicked in yet.

    I just remember appreciating that ANet added the recap story, it did help a little on the continuity for the newer player. (I had left the game shortly after Drytop was introduced and returned a few months back)

    Remembrance, fallen from heaven, and madness risen from hell...

  • Wokzombie.7124Wokzombie.7124 Member
    edited May 18, 2018

    @Elva.6372 said:
    As a player who likes to keep stuff in chronological order, GW2 makes it challenging but you can at least have the story flow in the right order.

    The Mastery Points and progression system overall tend to be a bit disjointed from the story flow as in there's no real correlation in what maps you will have to travel to and so forth.

    Thank you! So it's not me.
    I'm in this weird situation where I'm starting to dislike getting XP, I want to get a little XP as possible from whatever I do.

    Anyways, if there's no way to hide the message then I'll just have to try to collect all Tyria Mastery points before I continue with the content.

  • Elva.6372Elva.6372 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2018

    @Wokzombie.7124 said:

    @Elva.6372 said:
    As a player who likes to keep stuff in chronological order, GW2 makes it challenging but you can at least have the story flow in the right order.

    The Mastery Points and progression system overall tend to be a bit disjointed from the story flow as in there's no real correlation in what maps you will have to travel to and so forth.

    Thank you! So it's not me.
    I'm in this weird situation where I'm starting to dislike getting XP, I want to get a little XP as possible from whatever I do.

    Anyways, if there's no way to hide the message then I'll just have to try to collect all Tyria Mastery points before I continue with the content.

    It bothers me as well and you will hear people say, "oh, it's no big deal, there's plenty of XP" - but they miss the point.

    ANet did something that that really goes against the grain of gaming progression (-not the horizontal leveling stuff, I love that) but the idea that your efforts in the game for long extended periods of time will not give you any gain whatsoever even though you are doing activities in the game which would otherwise give you XP. That's not fun - before the change, even at level 80, your XP bar rolled over and you received a reward.

    At the very least, the XP bar rollover should offer something - maybe a new reward track?

    It wasn't very elegantly accomplished and it makes for a very disjointed experience. And now, unfortunately it's worse because you have to bounce around grabbing Masteries which (those masteries) make the game far more enjoyable and your character more effective. I am sure some people will say, "you don't have to have mounts or gliding" - they can go fly a kite.

    ANet could improve this, maybe they will -it's clunky and often unintuitive game design largely because the system developed after the game was released and rather inelegantly.

    Remembrance, fallen from heaven, and madness risen from hell...

  • altermaven.7385altermaven.7385 Member ✭✭✭

    Unfortunately, the reward you get for unlocking all current masteries in a given area is a constant progression that nets you a Spirit Shard for every time the experience bar completes. For someone who uses spirit shards a lot (by doing the Mystic Forge a lot), that's great. But that someone is often rare and you'll wind up getting a LOT of unused spirit shards.

    Helpdesking rodent hailing from Skrittsylvania.
    Roaming skritt needs caffeine badly.
    Oldschool electronic music enthusiast who also likes Autechre.

  • ButcherofMalakir.4067ButcherofMalakir.4067 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I think there is an option to dissable this right? Because to me it poped out only once, then i used cire tyrian masteries and after that i never saw it again

  • rng.1024rng.1024 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2018

    This happens because HoT brought the core Tyrian masteries, and it's designed to notify you every time you receive XP when the bar is full, because you essentially waste the XP earned. Now I know this is annoying, and unfortunaly this can't be disabled, but there are a few things to be done with it:

    1. Switch to another of the 4 tyrian masteries that aren't fully trained yet. This gives you more time before the message reappears.
    2. If doing map completion, you will find there are many mastery points to be gathered. Use this to access the next level of the mastery, every new level takes longer to complete and thus less notifications (use achievements tab to find them all)
    3. Avoid using XP boosters and such, and rather save them for the Maguuma (HoT maps) masteries, trust me this will help you alot. This ensures you gain XP at a steady rate so filling a bar takes longer (don't worry this happens on it's own by just playing anyways)
    4. Once you have filled all 4 mastery bars but lack the points, take a look in the achievements panel to see if there are some easy to score ones so that you might be able to upgrade a mastery and start gaining XP again.

    It's inconvenient, but at some point the messages do stop (not sure why or exactly when, but they gave up on me after a while). Hope this helps you deal with them until then ^^

  • Gwilym.4257Gwilym.4257 Member
    edited January 11, 2019

    It's sad that this bug has never been fixed. It is currently annoying me on a newly boosted level 80 character on an account with little activity. It pops up constantly as I play and there is nothing to train. It would seem to be an easier solution to fix the bug rather than say to players, especially new ones, play the game with extreme annoyance EXACTLY this way and it will eventually go away. It shouldn't be there in the first place. Fix the game.

  • Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6pm6w8/all_9_central_tyria_mastery_insight_locations/

    Get those, that way the amount of experience required will become more and buy you time since you will be able to get the first few mastery ranks.

  • I think if you turn on tutorials, get some exp, then turn it back off the message goes away. I forget...it has been a long time since I ever was on a mastery-less account but there was a few work arounds people found in the beginning of the HoT release.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.