WvW and Koutalophile

I have managed to get all the spoons for Koutalophile outside of the one in WvW. Never played WvW until yesterday and got decimated without really knowing what I had to do.

I understand there are video guides for WvW, but none reflect the current state of this mode when it comes to profession balance. I want to get my spoon as soon as possible without being a burden. So, out of all the professions, can you recommend something which is braindead easy to play and cheap to gear? (I have the feeling everyone will say scourge)

I have all professions and don't mind playing any, but the cost of gearing them all will be overwhelming. Better to focus on one and avoid the frustration of playing in berserker while getting two-shotted. What gear is best for each profession in WvW? What profession/spec is most sought after? Is there easy way to get the spoon to drop or is it some random low chance of a random mobs?

spoon is random from npc guards, so if you just want to fight those while avoiding other players that might kill you and leave WvW quickly again just use your thief and build as much stealth as you need in your build to permastealth and then just kill npcs and stealth when you see an opposing player. else you should run in a zerg, because it might take considerable time till you can hold yourself in a fight 1 vs X if you are inexperienced. for zerg you can play ele/rev in your berserk pve gear if you are careful with positioning or easier to play a tanky scourge build.

@FogLeg.9354 said:If you play on prime time, look for public tag in WvW, get any class with ranged AoE and follow the tag around. Once there is engage with either enemy players or NPCs, stay back and throw your AoE.

That's what I'd do. Also if you're going into a keep or tower make sure to tag as many NPCs as possible (especially the Lord) because they'll drop the spoon.

If you have the Pact Mastery autoloot be aware that it doesn't work in WvW, but all loot will drop at your feet rather than on the enemy, so you just need to look out for it and pick it up every so often.

If you have a choice, play in slightly-off primetime. You want a tag that is running a karma train (edit: Karma training tags are the ones that take unguarded objectives, typically while the enemy servers are mostly offline), not one that is fighting enemy zergs.

If you have no choice and no tags, and are really bad at small scale fights, just pop into WvW and take the camps closest to your spawn point every now and then while you PvE.

Edit2: Or alternatively, just get good at WvW. It's a super fun game mode and more bodies are always welcome. You'll have a thousand spoons if you play WvW a lot.

@Fluffball.8307 said:Edit2: Or alternatively, just get good at WvW. It's a super fun game mode and more bodies are always welcome. You'll have a thousand spoons if you play WvW a lot.

thats probably the best :)but for that he has to go about it the right way , either have a guild that can show you around. or start with open raids, there you will usually find some help for the start and once you have an understanding of the mechanics in the game, be it siege, supply , commonly used builds etc. you might try small scale and when your good at that you may also try solo roaming without being crushed within seconds all day.but this requires alot more interest in the mode and is not something many people will do that just need an item like the spoon or GoB from WvW. it was alot easier to get into WvW at release when everyone was a noob.

@"MUDse.7623" said:you may also try solo roaming without being crushed within seconds all day.

I dunno about that. I went straight to exactly that, solo roaming, and I don't get crushed within seconds(0), or at least not as a matter of course. All that's really needed is that you keep all seven eyes(1) wide open, and you'll be fine. The most important other thing is to avoid attacking camps solo before the Supervisor's "Righteous Indignation" buff wears off.

but this requires alot more interest in the mode and is not something many people will do that just need an item like the spoon or GoB from WvW. it was alot easier to get into WvW at release when everyone was a noob.

To get the spoon or a series of GoBs is exactly why I do it, no more, no less.

(0) Power-trap GS Dragonhunter in full zerk exotics with 6 Superior Runes of the Traveller.

(1) One forward, one rear-ward, one to each side, one up, one down, and one spare one that wanders where it's needed most. ;)

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"MUDse.7623" said:you may also try solo roaming without being crushed within seconds all day.

I dunno about that. I went straight to exactly that, solo roaming, and I don't get crushed within seconds(0), or at least not as a matter of course. All that's really needed is that you keep all seven eyes(1) wide open, and you'll be fine. The most important other thing is to avoid attacking camps solo before the Supervisor's "Righteous Indignation" buff wears off.

but this requires alot more interest in the mode and is not something many people will do that just need an item like the spoon or GoB from WvW. it was alot easier to get into WvW at release when everyone was a noob.

(0) Power-trap GS Dragonhunter in full zerk exotics with 6 Superior Runes of the Traveller.

(1) One forward, one rear-ward, one to each side, one up, one down, and one spare one that wanders where it's needed most. ;)

that depends on how you go about it i guess. power trapper DH in full berserk is a pretty good noobkiller and we got alot of noobs in WvW, but you still have the potential do die within a second against many of the better roamers. it requires more interest in the mode if you actually want to learn all the other roaming builds, their individual strength and weaknesses so that you can hold your self against a single good opponent or a group of not so good ones. you can get GoB / spoon without fighting opposing players if you are not interested in it.

also little tip for your DH. you can run in full bunker gear even and place the traps, man a golem and then the traps will apply the damage with the stats you have in a golem. i usually have over 6k power for example so then your super safe and can even oneshot with your traps a really tanky opponent :)

@MUDse.7623 said:

@MUDse.7623 said:you may also try solo roaming without being crushed within seconds all day.

that depends on how you go about it i guess. power trapper DH in full berserk is a pretty good noobkiller and we got alot of noobs in WvW, but you still have the potential do die within a second against many of the better roamers. it requires more interest in the mode if you actually want to learn all the other roaming builds, their individual strength and weaknesses so that you can hold your self against a single good opponent or a group of not so good ones. you can get GoB / spoon without fighting opposing players if you are not interested in it.

also little tip for your DH. you can run in full bunker gear even and place the traps, man a golem and then the traps will apply the damage with the stats you have in a golem. i usually have over 6k power for example so then your super safe and can even oneshot with your traps a really tanky opponent :)

Thanks for the tips. In general, when I do WvW, it is strictly to earn points for the GoB. (I got the spoon a few months ago, sort of by accident, when I raided a camp and put down the guards. One of them dropped the spoon.) The other stuff that drops from the GoB track is strictly a bonus (tomes for shards, etc.). If the dailies say "Master of Monuments", that's easy, and "Big Spender" isn't what I'd call hard either. "Camp Capturer" and the land capture one (kill an enemy scout) are pretty easy, while "Caravan Disrupter" is a good way to spend time waiting for Righteous Indignation to wear off in Hamm's Lab.

So I run around, I hide, I keep my eyes open, and I run away from enemy players, and I die messily if I mess up the running-away part, but the penalty for dying is essentially zero, so I don't really care.

Two ways- you can either solo roam and take camps (can be done in almost any PvE build, slot in defensive utilities if you struggle) until you get it - i would suggest theif or mesmer if you dont want to be stopped by enemy roamers (both are kings of stealth disengaging- ie stealth then running away), or if you don't mind losing most 1v1s until you learn wvw more, anything can do it.

Or- follow a tag, note though that tags differ in objectives. Some tags will aim to bunker down and protect objectives (like EBG, BL keeps) which will net you wvw exp, but no spoon. Other tags will essentially be aiming to win- take objectives and fight enemy zergs (if looking for spoon this is what you want- spoons drop from enemy npcs, tower lords and camp supervisors iirc have a higher chance/if not the only chance to drop it), a tag may be looking only to fight zerg/havoc groups (no spoon as it's focused on enemy players) orrr will be a k-train (karma train as described above- note though that k-trains are pretty much nonexistant at lower teirs. this is ideal for getting a spoon cus it's only focuesd on npcs, but may not even be accessable for you.) Build wise- anything with range is what you want for this, preferably with the ability to place ranged attacks quickly.

@MUDse.7623 said:

@"Fluffball.8307" said:Edit2: Or alternatively, just get good at WvW. It's a super fun game mode and more bodies are always welcome. You'll have a thousand spoons if you play WvW a lot.

thats probably the best :)but for that he has to go about it the right way , either have a guild that can show you around. or start with open raids, there you will usually find some help for the start and once you have an understanding of the mechanics in the game, be it siege, supply , commonly used builds etc. you might try small scale and when your good at that you may also try solo roaming without being crushed within seconds all day.but this requires alot more interest in the mode and is not something many people will do that just need an item like the spoon or GoB from WvW. it was alot easier to get into WvW at release when everyone was a noob.

Everyone is a noob. Over the years most veterans and decent players left or went full slack. Since reward updates and gliding, WvW has a huge influx of casuals into WvW for rewards they can't get in PvE due to lack of skill. Most of them aren't really interested in improving. The skill in EU WvW is exceptionally low and most servers are on par with 2K14 vizunah. A lot of bodies to cap and defend stuff, but absolutely no organisation or skill.

Probably because every time players ask how WvW works, we tell them to just "do whatever, join a tag and try tag downstates". I mean, that attitude doesn't exactly help.If you want an easy time you should go scourge or rev. If you want to be useful ask in teamchat if there's a TS or discord and join that. You'll find groups to join there, and most people on voice are pretty open to questions.

As a veteran; most vets avoid EB and the likes nowadays. There's so many low skill pugs it's impossible to lead or have decent zerg fights; especially once ANY side has upgraded SM. Best to leave the PvE plebs gank eachother in boreddom. In my experience EB has 50+ players begging for "commander" and less than 5 players deserve one.

@Etheri.5406 said:

@"Fluffball.8307" said:Edit2: Or alternatively, just get good at WvW. It's a super fun game mode and more bodies are always welcome. You'll have a thousand spoons if you play WvW a lot.

Everyone is a noob. Over the years most veterans and decent players left or went full slack. Since reward updates and gliding, WvW has a huge influx of casuals into WvW for rewards they can't get in PvE due to lack of skill. Most of them aren't really interested in improving. The skill in EU WvW is exceptionally low and most servers are on par with 2K14 vizunah. A lot of bodies to cap and defend stuff, but absolutely no organisation or skill.

Probably because every time players ask how WvW works, we tell them to just "do whatever, join a tag and try tag downstates". I mean, that attitude doesn't exactly help.If you want an easy time you should go scourge or rev. If you want to be useful ask in teamchat if there's a TS or discord and join that. You'll find groups to join there, and most people on voice are pretty open to questions.

As a veteran; most vets avoid EB and the likes nowadays. There's so many low skill pugs it's impossible to lead or have decent zerg fights; especially once ANY side has upgraded SM. Best to leave the PvE plebs gank eachother in boreddom. In my experience EB has 50+ players begging for "commander" and less than 5 players deserve one.

it is correct that most people are noobs in WvW or people that manage to spent alot of time in the mode without feeling the need to improve in any way. because of this it is often enough to have 1-2 half good roamers of the opposing side on the map, that alot of noobs that try to solo roam will get farmed.it doesnt take much effort to be above average in WvW, but for fights to not be completely onesided against a good player you need to learn alot. i mean for some it might be enough to be above average, i personally wouldnt solo roam tho if i wouldnt have the feeling that i have a chance in every fight that is against just one opponent, no matter who that opponent is or what build he plays.if someone asked me how WvW works i seriously wouldnt know were to start, there is just soo much i have learned over the years, i couldnt improvise a good guide. and if i would manage to put into one guide everything i know about WvW, that would probably be way too much info for a new player.but i feel that players on opposing servers and my own servers (i keep switching) often are very inexperienced in many aspects, be it fighting in any scale, use of siege or even basics like using the map. this often simplifies the mode i can then make myself a fun out of my opponents stupidity but if they knew more and actually used more mechanics of the game, then it would become more challangeing and interesting, maybe more fun.people just run around try to kill players and npcs they run into and if they fail they try to increase their numbers instead of trying to become better or to adapt, thats pretty boring and sadly even the once better players are often no longer trying to improve, they dont try to adapt individually to an uncommon situation. when there is a new balance patch they might read a new guide and then play, if it doenst work call for reinforcements instead of adapting themselves, with that attitude we cant really expect new players to improve.

Archived