Add historical achievements to the daily cap

Verrier.5870

I know it's been brought up several time, but it would be nice to get some feedback from anet about it.Yes, ls1 and some festival AP is gone. But the 15k cap could be increased by the amount of historical achievements you missed. This way people would not complain that much about ls1, and more people could join the ap hunting 'competition'.

Yes, it's just a number, but its fun to do as a side thing to compete with others. And atm people who joined the game after ls1 are at a huge disadvantage. I don't think players should be punished by starting the game later. The old players still have the advantage of having more time to do the achis, since a lot of them requires a lot of gold and time investment, so I don't think it would be unfair to them either.

It is a well intended idea, but it wont happen. There is no way they are going to design or program a system that extensively searches to see if you have ticked off any number of those hundreds of achievements or work out if you were there and just didnt do them or.....and so forth.

I wouldnt call it punished though as it isnt a huge disadvantage. Its a bit annoying i can understand, but there will always be a degree of imbalance between older players and newer players. This is just one of those examples.

The vast majority dont ap hunt extensively enough to care and Anet seem to be souring on the ap system given the heavy budgeting being applied these days for no discernsble reason. I cannot see them ever making any changes to the cap as a result.

@"Randulf.7614" said:It is a well intended idea, but it wont happen. There is no way they are going to design or program a system that extensively searches to see if you have ticked off any number of those hundreds of achievements or work out if you were there and just didnt do them or.....and so forth.

I think it could be done easier.

1. Make sure every achievement that can't be done any more is properly placed in the "Historical" category.
  2. Increase the daily+monthly AP cap with the sum AP of said Historical category.
  3. Make the Historical category count toward that cap, so it's Daily+Monthly+Historical.

(Of course I assume the actual coding to be more complex, I'm talking the basic design here)

There are a lot of different theories as to why they placed the daily cap, though I haven't heard that one. I always felt like it was bc not having a cap made players feel 'forced' to do the dailies or risk falling behind. Falling behind what I never really understood, but w/e. I have also heard that it was to keep the gap between vets and new ppl from growing too large, which is similar to what you're saying but not quite . . .

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:And players would be able to collect the AP from, say, more challenging Historical content (that they didn't want to do, or found too difficult back then) just by doing 3 easy Dailies, then?

Yeah this is exactly how this idea sounds like and why it will never happen.

I mean some of the old APs were like 'talk to this NPC' for 50AP. Now doing your daily 5 times is more effort than that. In the end it would even out, with the harder ones.

I don't see the point in capping the dailies in the first place..Once I hit that cap my AP progress is more or less going to die until new content comes out which is something i'm not going to be happy about since I don't play PvP or WvW and a good chunk of AP is locked into those game modes.

I'm by no means a diehard AP hunter but I do enjoy collecting as much of it as I can as I play my own way and i'm very much looking forward to hitting that big 30k asap.

Archived