Why no Serpentine Jewels from the Reward track? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Why no Serpentine Jewels from the Reward track?

I've finished the Thunderhead Peaks reward track and I noticed that there wasn't a single Jewel along the way (I'm still sitting at 0 jewels). However if we want to craft anything from the Thunderhead peaks, we need those, which make the reward track somewhat pointless as they were supposed to be an alternative way of PvP/WvW players to get PvE rewards without having to go to PvE.

Can we get at least a few Serpentine Jewels added to it? Oh and the Wood Shipment is missing from the WvW version as the 38th reward (It's correct on the PvP one).

Ferguson's Crossing Mithril Squire (Rank 5001) - PvP Phoenix (Rank 72) - 30k Achievement Points
Exalted Kawagima, Calamis Fatima, Hanna Flintlocke, Suzuhara Suzuka, Sally Furious Ant, Sabetha Deadeye, Bjarl of Souls, Lilian Mistwalker, Kelvena Riverstream, Zallha Wildhunt

Comments

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019

@Jeknar.6184 said:
    I've finished the Thunderhead Peaks reward track and I noticed that there wasn't a single Jewel along the way (I'm still sitting at 0 jewels). However if we want to craft anything from the Thunderhead peaks, we need those, which make the reward track somewhat pointless as they were supposed to be an alternative way of PvP/WvW players to get PvE rewards without having to go to PvE.

Can we get at least a few Serpentine Jewels added to it? Oh and the Wood Shipment is missing from the WvW version as the 38th reward (It's correct on the PvP one).

No need for them as you can get an armor piece from the reward track.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Thunderhead_Peaks_Cache

Edit: Looked closer and saw it was just the legs. They should make it be an armor box to select the armor piece.

The jewels should still remain as a reward only earned on the map.

• I haven't been getting any drops either. I've done both metas several times.

edited January 10, 2019

They’re rare drops. I do the metas, catacomb puzzle, hidden chests, and dwarven chests on a daily basis to speed up acquiring them.

Unfortunately all of those sources are once per day per account.

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

That is consistent with the other PoF reward tracks, but then none of the PoF / LS 4 maps have currency rewards that only come from Metas.

HoT reward tracks however, award all the meta currencies as well as the maps currencies (except crystalline ore because reasons) which can also be used to purchase meta currency from the vendors.

I suspect ANET wants to make this meta currency harder to grind out, so I doubt they would make it easier to obtain by adding it to PvP/WvW reward tracks.

• Jeknar.6184Jeknar.6184 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Give me one good reason for that

Ferguson's Crossing Mithril Squire (Rank 5001) - PvP Phoenix (Rank 72) - 30k Achievement Points
    Exalted Kawagima, Calamis Fatima, Hanna Flintlocke, Suzuhara Suzuka, Sally Furious Ant, Sabetha Deadeye, Bjarl of Souls, Lilian Mistwalker, Kelvena Riverstream, Zallha Wildhunt

edited January 10, 2019

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Living world content and only so long as they add the rest of the exotic armor to the final reward track chest.

Anet specifically made them untradable and a rare drop outside of the daily final chest at the end of the catacomb “puzzle”. Having them as a reward track reward would circumvent that.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Living world content and only so long as they add the rest of the exotic armor to the final reward track chest.

Yes, but other collections from Living World, such as Requiem Armor or the Bettle Mount didn't require me to stay multiple days on the map farming a certain currency. All the currency I used for those collections came from either the reward track or the trading post, while only going to the map to do events that were actually part of the requirements and not to farm some obscure currency with a low drop rate.

Also, I don't need a PvE-only currency if I want to make Ascended Plaguedoctor stat as I can buy the insignias and recipes with only map currency that comes from the reward track. Why do I need to go PvE for the Diviner's one?

edited January 10, 2019

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Yes, but other collections from Living World, such as Requiem Armor or the Bettle Mount didn't require me to stay multiple days on the map farming a certain currency. All the currency I used for those collections came from either the reward track or the trading post, while only going to the map to do events that were actually part of the requirements and not to farm some obscure currency with a low drop rate.

Those provided map currency. The jewels are not a currency.

Also, I don't need a PvE-only currency if I want to make Ascended Plaguedoctor stat as I can buy the insignias and recipes with only map currency that comes from the reward track. Why do I need to go PvE for the Diviner's one?

Because Anet feels some rewards must be earned by playing specific content otherwise they would have made them available elsewhere. With how restrictive they made the jewels, it lends to the argument that this was the direction they intended.

I also recall that WvW has stat selectable armor that you can buy from playing that game mode.

• Voltekka.2375Voltekka.2375 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Because Anet feels some rewards must be earned by playing specific content otherwise they would have made them available elsewhere. With how restrictive they made the jewels, it lends to the argument that this was the direction they intended.

I also recall that WvW has stat selectable armor that you can buy from playing that game mode.

And how will you make the weapons? Yes u wont.
    This reminds me of a similar concept that was made with Istan and stellar/astral weapons, only you could trade the rose quartz. You cant trade serpentine jewels. I have been through 2 metas, opened 24 dwarven treasure chests, 3-5 hidden chests and got 0 (thats right, ZERO) jewels. Now, what else do i need to do?

edited January 10, 2019

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

This reminds me of a similar concept that was made with Istan and stellar/astral weapons, only you could trade the rose quartz. You cant trade serpentine jewels. I have been through 2 metas, opened 24 dwarven treasure chests, 3-5 hidden chests and got 0 (thats right, ZERO) jewels. Now, what else do i need to do?

Weapons can be obtained in WvW just like the armor.

If you’ve opened hidden chests then you clearly didn’t complete the catacomb puzzle as you would have received a guaranteed 3 jewels.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Not the Dragonsblood ones... Just like the Stellar ones he mentioned.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

If you’ve opened hidden chests then you clearly didn’t complete the catacomb puzzle as you would have received a guaranteed 3 jewels.

Uhm... Would you care to elaborate as to how i wi get dragonblood weapons in wvw?

edited January 10, 2019

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Dragonsblood is a unique PvE set. If you want that then you need to do PvE just like you had to do PvE for the luminescent Armor during LS2. There are other skins that are also only obtainable in PvE.

If you need the stats then you have options available.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Uhm... Would you care to elaborate as to how i wi get dragonblood weapons in wvw?

You get the stats. That set is PvE only similarly to how WvW and sPvP have unique sets.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

You get the stats. That set is PvE only similarly to how WvW and sPvP have unique sets.

I was talking about dragonblood skins. And i do not mind doing pve for them, but maybe, just MAYBE, their drop rate is a bit low. Plus, make then tradeable. For god's sake, they even made the armor pieces (upper half and lower half, as well as the entire completed piece) you get from the thunderhead keep map tradeable. Why not the jewels?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Dragonsblood is a unique PvE set. If you want that then you need to do PvE just like you had to do PvE for the luminescent Armor during LS2. There are other skins that are also only obtainable in PvE.

Then what's even the point of the Reward Track if Branded Mass is useless without Serpentine Jewels?

edited January 10, 2019

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

I was talking about dragonblood skins. And i do not mind doing pve for them, but maybe, just MAYBE, their drop rate is a bit low. Plus, make then tradeable. For god's sake, they even made the armor pieces (upper half and lower half, as well as the entire completed piece) you get from the thunderhead keep map tradeable. Why not the jewels?

Which is why I said “that set” in my post. The jewels being rare is to encourage players to play the map.

Playing the map a few days to get the weapons that you need is not that big of a time investment. Like you mentioned, you can also just by the complete plate to bypass doing the metas.

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Then what's even the point of the Reward Track if Branded Mass is useless without Serpentine Jewels?

To acquire the currency which you also need.

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭

I dunno what Anet bet was making Serpentine Jewels accusations so twisted. Keep map alive? But they overtwisted it this time. Map will be dead soon enough.
    New builds that could possibly be using Diviner stats mix, would be designed the way that Diviner will be mostly trinkets.
    Unless Anet makes Serpentine Jewels drops bit more generous.

Mr. Z, open this gate. Mr. Z... Mr. Z, tear down this wall!

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Which is why I said “that set” in my post. The jewels being rare is to encourage players to play the map.

Playing the map a few days to get the weapons that you need is not that big of a time investment. Like you mentioned, you can also just by the complete plate to bypass doing the metas.

As i have said before, I like doing pve. And, at worst, if one does the grand chest once per day (and is reeeeally unlucky with other sources that drop the jewels) , it would take 16 days for all weapons to craft. Which isnt too bad. Memories of the daily renowned hearts form draconis mons come to mind...

• Iris Ng.9845Iris Ng.9845 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019

I don't know about you guys but I'm more worried about the Branded Mass cost per weapons than Serpentine Jewels. The Giant Hidden chest in the treasure room gives guaranteed 3 Serpentine Jewels /day/account. Doing meta and other hidden chests can give you some extra lucky ( I got +5 today by luck). BUT, how do you farm 210 Branded Mass per weapon? It's insane. If it takes 1 hour of doing meta a day to get Serpentine Jewels for 1 weapon, how many hours need for 210 Branded Mass? They barely drop from events.

This is more like Ambrite weapon-level of farm.

@Iris Ng.9845 said:
    I don't know about you guys but I'm more worried about the Branded Mass cost per weapons than Serpentine Jewels. The Giant Hidden chest in the treasure room gives guaranteed 3 Serpentine Jewels /day/account. Doing meta and other hidden chests can give you some extra lucky ( I got +5 today by luck). BUT, how do you farm 210 Branded Mass per weapon? It's insane. If it takes 1 hour of doing meta a day to get Serpentine Jewels for 1 weapon, how many hours need for 210 Branded Mass? They barely drop from events.

I counted 60 masses per weapon. 10 plus 50 for the inscription. Where does the 210 come from?

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Iris Ng.9845 said:

I counted 60 masses per weapon. 10 plus 50 for the inscription. Where does the 210 come from?

150 for the ascended version. It looks better.

• Odinens.5920Odinens.5920 Member ✭✭✭

Making the recipes require these jewels that are only obtainable from drops is bad enough, but making them RARE drops?

Gee thanks Anet...

@Iris Ng.9845 said:

I'm not very concerned about the branded mass because I could just do the hearts with multiple characters and get 20 mass per character/day. I didn't even put much effort on the map and I'm already sitting at a stack of Branded Mass (50 came from the Reward Track tho).

But as long the Jewels are all behind the hidden chest, all this Branded mass will be useless for me except if I want to convert them to Volatile Magic since I don't want to have to bother going back to the map every day to do the two metas for who knows how long to get all the Jewels I need.

• DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭✭

Making WvW Reward Tracks better?

Always a +1 from me!

@Iris Ng.9845 said:

Multiple characters helps tremendously.

I get 240 a day from hearts. Another 24 a day from doing the dwarven chests. Maybe another 20 or so between the metas and hidden chests. Then there’s the one time per character amount of 25 for completing the map.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Iris Ng.9845 said:

I get 240 a day from hearts. Another 24 a day from doing the dwarven chests. Maybe another 20 or so between the metas and hidden chests. Then there’s the one time per character amount of 25 for completing the map.

That would mean strapping myself to this map and repeat the hearts every day for hours (12 characters) for two weeks if I want to get a stack a day. Is the thought not horrifying enough? To me , I'm "time-gated" by the amount of time I can play the game per week. And I want to play variable content. I could spend 30 minutes for the meta and do other things in between. By the end of the month, I would have more Serpentine Jewels than the Branded Mass. > @Jeknar.6184 said:

@Iris Ng.9845 said:

I'm not very concerned about the branded mass because I could just do the hearts with multiple characters and get 20 mass per character/day. I didn't even put much effort on the map and I'm already sitting at a stack of Branded Mass (50 came from the Reward Track tho).

But as long the Jewels are all behind the hidden chest, all this Branded mass will be useless for me except if I want to convert them to Volatile Magic since I don't want to have to bother going back to the map every day to do the two metas for who knows how long to get all the Jewels I need.

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Iris Ng.9845 said:

• There needs to be a way to craft Exquisite Serpentite Jewels. Not expecting it to be cheap but geesh, ArenaNet gated these too much.

edited January 11, 2019

@Iris Ng.9845 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Iris Ng.9845 said:

That would mean strapping myself to this map and repeat the hearts every day for hours (12 characters) for two weeks if I want to get a stack a day. Is the thought not horrifying enough? To me , I'm "time-gated" by the amount of time I can play the game per week. And I want to play variable content. I could spend 30 minutes for the meta and do other things in between. By the end of the month, I would have more Serpentine Jewels than the Branded Mass.

It only takes 10 min per character (or 2 hours for all 12) with the dwarven chest run about another 10 min. Map completion can be done in 30 min for a character new to the map. For the metas, you can time doing the hearts so you’re there to tag the final boss for each meta.

Fortunately you can farm the branded mass over time as the hearts don’t require other players. You could probably have both sets done in about 168 days if you only do the hearts on one character each day.

• Infusion.7149Infusion.7149 Member ✭✭✭

The reward track rewards branded mass but not serpentite, which is an issue since serpentite isn't as easily obtained (you need to get a chance via the metas , get a chance from some chests , or do the Hammer's hoard resplendent chest for 3 per day).

At 3 guaranteed per day it will take a while to gather 21 (7x3) for weapons + armor for anyone that doesn't have legendary and just wants diviner's stats for one character , let alone those looking to complete the dragonsblood weaponsets.

I think the baseline in the cache should be 6+ serpentite instead of the 10 branded mass as a baseline reward. Realistically you can complete reward track a few times a week with full boosters.

I typically do the story once over (with map complete) and then gather the currencies in WVW unless it's a guaranteed drop (winterberry). Most of my time is in WVW anyway...

• I completely agree with OP. The only way to get these jewels is not only RNG with metas, but timegated when it comes to the Hidden Chest. WvW and PvP reward tracks should be an alternative way to obtain most PvE materials, and I believe these jewels should be added to the reward track as they are not a raid- or fractal-specific reward.

Even though it may not be meta, Diviner's gear is still the most interesting new stat combination in a while and something many WvW players like myself want to try out. My suggestion would be to add two Exquisite Serpentine Jewels to the reward track in the 15th and 35th positions or something similar.

The metas have no unique reward save for the new exotic mace and shield (it is my assumption this is how you acquire these weapons) as well as the Diviner's stat jewels and the plates (which are simply used to get more jewels). It is otherwise unlucrative- cue the old "2 greens and a blue" adage- as there are no unique infusion drops or anything else unique that will keep these metas alive for more than a month or two. In my opinion this is a poor way to design rewards and a rather annoying way of making people come back to a meta that is, frankly, lacking in almost every category.

All you have to do is look back at AB, TD, and DS- the HoT maps- to see the formula for a well-designed map meta. Honestly, even the Death-Branded Shatterer is still doing well because people are after the Crystal Infusion. Istan is lucrative. Hey look, people still play it. Then look at the Desolation and Serpent's Ire metas. No rewards, no one plays them. Tried and true formulae of what makes a successful map meta in GW2.

good lord i am absolute trash at this video game

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Iris Ng.9845 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Iris Ng.9845 said:

That would mean strapping myself to this map and repeat the hearts every day for hours (12 characters) for two weeks if I want to get a stack a day. Is the thought not horrifying enough? To me , I'm "time-gated" by the amount of time I can play the game per week. And I want to play variable content. I could spend 30 minutes for the meta and do other things in between. By the end of the month, I would have more Serpentine Jewels than the Branded Mass.

It only takes 10 min per character (or 2 hours for all 12) with the dwarven chest run about another 10 min. Map completion can be done in 30 min for a character new to the map. For the metas, you can time doing the hearts so you’re there to tag the final boss for each meta.

Fortunately you can farm the branded mass over time as the hearts don’t require other players. You could probably have both sets done in about 168 days if you only do the hearts on one character each day.

It's not 30 min per map completion for a brand new character if you can't find a port to Consul's Tomb PoI. Or you have to do the lengthy story to that step.

@Iris Ng.9845 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Iris Ng.9845 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Iris Ng.9845 said:

It's not 30 min per map completion for a brand new character if you can't find a port to Consul's Tomb PoI. Or you have to do the lengthy story to that step.

It is as you can log off at that point until you do find one.

• Jong.5937Jong.5937 Member ✭✭

I agree these should be in the reward track. One of the main objectives of these (I have always believed) is to allow competitive players to get the stats without PvE. Are there any other stats where the crafting ingredients cannot either be either bought for gold or got from a reward track?

edited January 23, 2019

Meanwhile, if one does ONLY the hidden chest every day, they will get 3 jewels. The biggest issue are the branded masses you need for the ascended and/or exotic versions. The jewels are fine. You can buy the plate off tp even if you dont like/cant do the metas.
    And think about this for a minute: if you could buy the jewels from tp, why would you even step foot in the map? Just do wvw/pvp for the tracks and thats it. Anet would shoot themselves in the foot.

• @Voltekka.2375 said:
    Meanwhile, if one does ONLY the hidden chest every day, they will get 3 jewels. The biggest issue are the branded masses you need for the ascended and/or exotic versions. The jewels are fine. You can buy the plate off tp even if you dont like/cant do the metas.
    And think about this for a minute: if you could buy the jewels from tp, why would you even step foot in the map? Just do wvw/pvp for the tracks and thats it. Anet would shoot themselves in the foot.

Not everyone plays PvP though.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019

@Henri Blanche.8276 said:
    There needs to be a way to craft Exquisite Serpentite Jewels. Not expecting it to be cheap but geesh, ArenaNet gated these too much.

There is apparently a recipe but it requires a recipe sheet. Either it is unreleased or an extremely rare drop.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

because even with boosters it takes around 4 hours to complete a track for 60 branded mass

mining out the whole map is around the same but I don't think that will take 4 hours

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.