EU and NA servers linked thru the BLTC? 20190114

Darlgon.9273

Someone today pointed me to this on the wiki: "Similarly, the EU & NA regions share a Trading Post while the China region has its own." It does not make sense to me that the two regions are linked, since players cannot instance over to the other region server. Does anyone have a source for this information? The wiki wont let me post anything in that discussion page.

Well, it's shared. Otherwise we'd see 2 different, albeit similar, prices for listed items on the API linking item prices to the wiki, depending on trading in any given time period.

Log-in, account info, etc, is server based, connecting you to EU or NA. The Trading Post is actually a Webpage API, independant of NA/EU data centers that houses account information, that your account communicates with. It's easier to get the Trading Post to communicate with both data centers than it is to connect the data centers entirely.

The trading post and instance servers are highly likely to be two entirerly different things and they have different purposes. The trading post need to handle massive volumes, but it doesnt really need to do it at critical speed. The instance server in turn need to handle all the players movement and combat at a steady pace - preferably as fast as possible - or you lag.

As such the trading post is global (like any normal webpage) while the players are local to the region (dont want constant 500ms+ delays).

As other people have said the TP is run on a 3rd server/server cluster which is separate from the ones that run the actual game. (I assume it's in the same location as either the NA or EU servers, probably NA, just because it wouldn't make sense to have a 3rd geographical location to deal with.)

I think it's the same one that hosts the Wiki and the forum because occasionally all 3 will stop working at the same time.

@Dawdler.8521 said:The trading post and instance servers are highly likely to be two entirerly different things and they have different purposes. The trading post need to handle massive volumes, but it doesnt really need to do it at critical speed. The instance server in turn need to handle all the players movement and combat at a steady pace - preferably as fast as possible - or you lag.

As such the trading post is global (like any normal webpage) while the players are local to the region (dont want constant 500ms+ delays).

Correct. The TP doesn't have to worry about latency; players in combat do.

ANet's engineers have posted about how unfair having a single host location was in GW1, where it mattered less (because there were far fewer calculations needed). And it's long been established that NA & EU can do everything together (chat, mail, and yes, TP), except for the thing that matters most: play together in the same instances.

Archived