Question about the new mouunt

chaosdurza.3291

I know there has been speculation on the way to unlock it, from just another WvW mastery line to some sort of rank requirement/collection completion. However, has anyone speculated about if it will have a cost to use? Like while you're in WvW, what are the odds that it's gonna cost 10 supply to mount up every time? It just seems unlikely that they would add essentially a siege weapon that increases your move speed, and is capable of taking gates down, usable entirely for free. Thoughts?

There are a lot of other things to consider as well, and I bet, anet didn't consider all these points:

I'm really interested in how they implement mounts. But I think it's a bad choice to implement them in wvw.

1 If you're mounted and get attacked, and mount dies, do you go Downstate? If yes, how much health does the mount have? If no, that's way too op to eat the whole enemies zerg spike with the mount and then counterparts sure.

2.Downstate Could be very very bad solution, deadeyes and rangers would be even more op to farm people, that want to get back to their zerg

3.Also, did anet look at cavalier rune and the bufffood?Quickness +20% dmg modifier seems way too op as well. We already are powercreeped way too much in wvw.

4.Do mount abilities cost supply? If not, rams become completely useless to open doors, zergs will just use the mount ability

5.What about movement speed? How fast is the mount? If it's faster than someone with swiftness, the mount completely kills any melee roamer, cause they will never be able to catch someone mounted up, which is the main point of roaming.

6.if leaked abilities are truly abilities: how much dmg does maul do? Zergs might be able to oneshot other zergs by just pressing "1"Also you might be able to completely ignore dmg of an enemy zerg in chokes with ability "3"-> smaller groups would be at an even bigger disadvantage

While discussing we came up with other points, but I don't remember them all.

woodenpotatoes also brought up wvw territory as a possible limitation on mounts, but that it doesn't make sense as if mounts are an offensive tool to take down gates.

As for rams, I am less worried that rams become obsolete than that alpha golems get obsolete. From what we have seen there is very little difference between an alpha golem and a mount, except that the golem cost supply and is slow. The mount then simply become a buffed version.

I don't think only being usable in territories you control is a possibility, since it's shown breaking down gates. However, maybe you'll only be able to get ON it in a territory you control. Even that seems like a stretch though. If they don't make it have a supply cost to mount, I hope they at least have a supply cost to use its abilities. Otherwise, like others have pointed out, it makes other siege obsolete.

@chaosdurza.3291 said:I don't think only being usable in territories you control is a possibility, since it's shown breaking down gates. However, maybe you'll only be able to get ON it in a territory you control. Even that seems like a stretch though. If they don't make it have a supply cost to mount, I hope they at least have a supply cost to use its abilities. Otherwise, like others have pointed out, it makes other siege obsolete.

or they could give it some other downside

@Nimon.7840 said:5.What about movement speed? How fast is the mount? If it's faster than someone with swiftness, the mount completely kills any melee roamer, cause they will never be able to catch someone mounted up, which is the main point of roaming.As I have stated again and again and again - hardcapped speed ooc is 400.

How fast is that you say? Someone on swiftness is running at 391, or 98% as fast as hardcap.

So yes, if the speed is 50% (base for mounts I think) it runs faster than swiftness as it reach hardcap. On a stretch over 60s it'll reach the goal 1 second before the runner (or 20s after a thief).

I am hopeful because every potential issue I see brought up can be dealt with by balance patches.

It probably will just be messy for quite a while until the balance gets done right (and knowing ANet, that could easily take 3~6 months at least).

Mounts done right could open the gates for more classes to roam, and also now every roamer won't have to use a build that includes permanent swiftness ooc.

I am also guessing that the siege ability will not be strong enough to make rams obsolete, that would be dumb. It will, ideally, just give something to players to do rather than just wait around for the gate to open (if there's not much else to do already).

I think it would be okay if mounting up had a supply cost, but I am not sure how high would be alright. If it costs something like 10 supply, then having owned camps becomes even more important, and I guess overall supply in the game will become even more important to protect. But, now people will be annoyed when some random PvE player who just wants to do some dailies is wasting supply. :)

Next week will be really interesting.

Archived