I'm a beginner and Require Help

I'm a beginner in GW2 I bought it and then stopped playing because I had no idea what was going on. Does anyone care to help me start? I have HoT expansion. I'm level 80 thief but I leveled max on buying the HoT, I'm looking to starting fresh please help!!

Hi cyber, welcome back.

You might check out this helpful post for new players to get some basics and ideas.

My advice would be to start a new character and play the game. Using the 80 boost without playing the character is going to make things super-confusing unless you've got a dedicated and very patient mentor. The best way to learn is to run through the story line, explore the open world, and get a feel for your class from level 1.

Happy learning to you!

A lot of people make the mistake of boosting their very first character and end up in your situation, so this is a rather common iussue. The solution is:Keep your boosted level 80 thief parked somewhere for now, and create a new level 1 thief so you can level it up the old fashioned way and gradually get accustomed with the various skills and mechanics of the game istead of getting overwhelmed by everything being thrown in your face all at once. The process can be tedious for some, but it is necessary when you are new to the game.

@Sir Alric.5078 said:A lot of people make the mistake of boosting their very first character and end up in your situation, so this is a rather common iussue. The solution is:Keep your boosted level 80 thief parked somewhere for now, and create a new level 1 thief so you can level it up the old fashioned way and gradually get accustomed with the various skills and mechanics of the game istead of getting overwhelmed by everything being thrown in your face all at once. The process can be tedious for some, but it is necessary when you are new to the game.

Agreed. This also remains true even when one familiar with the game while not being familair with a given profession. As example I fare much better on the professions I took from 1-80 the old fashioned way over the professions I took to 80 immediately via level up. The best part of it is when you do use a new profession from scratch it does not seems as grindy given you are learning new skills all along and tinkering with them to see what they can do.

No need to create new level 1 character. Just go to starter area with you level 80 char. Clean the map (hearts, points of interest, vistas, hero points, any dynamic event that pops up). Maybe do level 10 personal story. When you cleaned starter map(level 1-15) jump to one higher level one and clean it. Repeat.

As your level 80 char will be down scaled it will not be that easy.

@Pirogen.9561 said:No need to create new level 1 character. Just go to starter area with you level 80 char. Clean the map (hearts, points of interest, vistas, hero points, any dynamic event that pops up). Maybe do level 10 personal story. When you cleaned starter map(level 1-15) jump to one higher level one and clean it. Repeat.

As your level 80 char will be down scaled it will not be that easy.

I disagree with this. I'd recommend starting at lvl 1. The reason being that a lvl 80 comes stock with a variety of traits and skills that a new player isn't in a position to really understand. Better to 'unlock' them a bit at a time as you level, the way it's intended. Also even with the scaling it's way too easy with all your skills available.

Having said that, once you've levelled enough to be reasonably comfortable there's no reason to persist - you can just switch to using your lvl 80. But just exploring and learning incrementally up to about lvl 30 or so I think would be helpful.

I agree with @"Pirogen.9561" , there's no need to start a new character from lv1 if you already used the boost. Low-lv maps are easy even with starter gear, you won't learn any combo or particular rotation: mobs die fast anyway that there's no need to read your skills' description (unless you are curious ofc, but you can do it also with a lv80). Moreover, lv80 players with mounts kill everything so fast that could be frustrating for a real low-lv character.Usually the confusion when you start a new MMO comes from the game itself, rather than from the skills/gameplay. What are these hearts, POI, Vista? How to use the skill trees? How to unlock them/which one to prioritize? Should I worry to spend wisely my hero points? How can I unlock a mount? There are a lot of questions that a newcomer might have, about the game. I discovered how to unstack items after 4 months.

The wiki is usually very helpful, but if it's not enough, you might consider joining a guild (although for experience, in guild new players are usually bombarded with end-game tips that risk to confuse them even more). There is also a tab "Mentoring" in Looking For Group, where sometimes you can find nice players willing to help.

If you want a "direct" help, in-game, you can tell us if you play on an EU or NA server (since EU and NA players can talk each other, but can't play on the same map).

Archived