Newbie question about 'Legendary Crafting' mastery

I just hit level 80 and have started earning mastery points. Since I haven't finished Tyria's stories I'm trying to pick a Tyria mastery to earn points against.

I'm curious if there is any value in selecting 'Legendary Crafting' if I'm a jewelcrafter - or do I have to be a weaponsmith to get value from it? Does crafting profession even matter?

All my googling didn't seem to find an answer.

Thanks in advance.

The real value, for most people, to start is the Pact line, since it eventually leads to true autoloot. Legendaries are considered long term goals and many people never bother making one.

Being a jewelcrafter, sad to say, it probably the least useful of all the legendaries, but you will need to level at least one and perhaps 2 different crafting profession to at least 400 (and sometimes higher) depending on which legendary you try for. It's complicated.

I'd recommend not putting points into legendary crafting first up.

As far as masteries go, Legendary Crafting is probably the last you want to put points into. All it does is allow you to craft legendary weapon precursors, which also requires completing multiple collections. Additionally, you need lvl 500 in the crafting discipline that the weapon belongs to (Weaponsmith, Artificer or Huntsman) in order to complete the weapon. If you've just hit level 80, you have a long way to go before crafting a legendary weapon is a concern. Also, keep in mind that Legendary eapons don't do any more damage than Ascended weapons of the same type. Legendaries are mostly cosmetic and prestige items.

As other people have said legendary crafting is only used to make legendary weapons, it doesn't affect normal crafting, it unlocks access to the collections used to make precursor weapons. There are some unique recipes involved in creating precursors, but they're not used for anything else and you have to complete the collections to gain access to them.

Crafting a legendary will require 2 different crafts - one that normally makes that type of weapon and one additional one. For example The Dreamer needs huntsman and jeweller, and the Bifrost needs artificer and cooking. (You don't need to have both on the same character fortunately, as the items are account bound.)

A help in proritizing masteries:Central Tyria:First - Pact Commander, absolutely. Don't spend a single point outside this line until you have excess, and push XP into this one! The final step is one of the biggest game changers there is!Second: Do you play Fractals? Do you have your eye set on a legendary weapon? Prioritize based on this - both of the remaining lines are completely focused on their respective thing.

Heart of Thorns:The map progression will guide you, but I'd order them:

• Gliding 1
  • Itzel 1
  • Gliding 2
  • Exalted 1
  • Nuhoc 1+2
  • Gliding up to 5
  • Itzel 2, Exalted 2 and Nuhoc 3, order doesn't matter.After this, it doesn't matter as much.

Path of Fire:You're forced into Raptor 1-3 first, but good to know here is don't buy 4 in any mount mastery until you have at least the first four mounts to 3!

@CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617 said:As far as masteries go, Legendary Crafting is probably the last you want to put points into. All it does is allow you to craft legendary weapon precursors, which also requires completing multiple collections. Additionally, you need lvl 500 in the crafting discipline that the weapon belongs to (Weaponsmith, Artificer or Huntsman) in order to complete the weapon. If you've just hit level 80, you have a long way to go before crafting a legendary weapon is a concern. Also, keep in mind that Legendary eapons don't do any more damage than Ascended weapons of the same type. Legendaries are mostly cosmetic and prestige items.

Can you craft legendary weapons without the mastery track? The track is just to craft the precursor?

@Recon.8754 said:

@CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617 said:As far as masteries go, Legendary Crafting is probably the last you want to put points into. All it does is allow you to craft legendary weapon precursors, which also requires completing multiple collections. Additionally, you need lvl 500 in the crafting discipline that the weapon belongs to (Weaponsmith, Artificer or Huntsman) in order to complete the weapon. If you've just hit level 80, you have a long way to go before crafting a legendary weapon is a concern. Also, keep in mind that Legendary eapons don't do any more damage than Ascended weapons of the same type. Legendaries are mostly cosmetic and prestige items.

Can you craft legendary weapons without the mastery track? The track is just to craft the precursor?

You can craft 1st generation (core game) legendary weapons without the mastery. You will have to either buy the precursor off the trading post or hope to get lucky from having it drop or gambling in the mystic forge. If you are not lucky enough to have a precursor drop I'd would avoid the mystic forge gamble and save the gold to buy it instead.

For 2nd generation legendary weapons you need the mastery track. Crafting generation 2 precursors is the only way to obtain them.

Archived