Crafting to level to 80

Can crafting be used to level to 80?

A number of forum discussions suggest the answer is yes. Here is one such example with a specific guide suggesting a sequence of crafting disciplines -https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/56613/does-leveling-through-crafting-still-work

However, it is my understanding that a character may level only 2 crafting disciplines. Is that true?The wiki suggests additional crafting license which "Increase the number of active crafting disciplines all characters on your account can have at one time" for 800 gems.

First of all, I have seen no one mention the 2 discipline limit nor the 800 gems in calculating the costs / how much gold it takes to level crafting (usually using the gw2crafts.net site). And then there is this line in the wiki "This license allows players to have an extra active crafting profession on all characters on their account up to a maximum of four in total."

If one character is limited to 4 crafting disciplines (after spending 1,600 gems = $20) then how can one level that character to 80 via crafting? 4 disciplines would grant 40 levels at 10 levels per discipline.

Without a crafting discipline limitation and using gems to gold the cost would be roughly $5 to level a character to 80. So is the crafting discipline limitation real as I understand or are the other threads correct and my understanding incorrect?

I am new to actively playing the game so my understanding may be off base and thus would appreciate input.

@"Providence.7185" said:Thank you for that. By "active" does that mean that I can only craft something within one of my active disciplines which I can later switch if I then need to craft something within a different crafting discipline?

Exactly. Switching active discipline (every recepie is remembered) costs something like 10c per crafting level, so 50s at 500 (max for most).

Now, I'm absolutely not sure if the available XP from crafting is enough to get to 80, and even if it is, I am certain that it's a pretty ineffective and needlessly expensive way to get to 80. Doing a few crafts to get past some levels that feel slow is worth it, doing it all is not (except as a novelty) if it's even possible.

@"Providence.7185" said:Thank you for that. By "active" does that mean that I can only craft something within one of my active disciplines which I can later switch if I then need to craft something within a different crafting discipline?

Yes that is correct,And also on the main topic I have leveled several characters to 80 purely from crafting using that exact method

@DoRi Silvia.4159 said:And also on the main topic I have leveled several characters to 80 purely from crafting using that exact method

Off-topic, but why? What was the motivation to level the same crafting discipline on several characters, let alone ALL disciplines on a single character?I'd assume that in order to get to level 80, there are much easier/faster methods...

@MikeG.6389 said:

@"DoRi Silvia.4159" said:And also on the main topic I have leveled several characters to 80 purely from crafting using that exact method

Off-topic, but why? What was the motivation to level the same crafting discipline on several characters, let alone ALL disciplines on a single character?I'd assume that in order to get to level 80, there are much easier/faster methods...

MikeG, please share the easier/faster methods to get to level 80. Seriously, I am all ears as I am just learning the game.

After review, crafting for about $5 gets the character to max in a reported roughly 2 hours. Bear in my mind, the $5 is based off gw2crafts.net. The 2 hours is from player reports.

Most how to level fast videos suggest about 25 hours or so. The difference between 2 hours and 25 hours is worth $5. I could find no better way. Plus the crafting is done as a bonus (legendaries, ascended gear).

Why the desire to reach level 80 quickly? A number of reasons. Mounts, gliding etc. The fact that for most classes I will play an elite spec which are not available until level 80. Plus XP gained while not working on Masteries (level 80 required) is lost from that perspective.

My plan is to level to 80, get the raptor and then go back to the starter zones - "level" following the hearts and do the personal story normally but with my preferred elite spec which gives me a chance to learn it in easier spots.

Back in the day crafting to 400 use to get you around 9-10 levels, then I believe the exp was nerfed and it dropped to around 7 levels or so, but we also have 400-500 levels now so that kinda makes up for it. But yes I believe it's still possible to level entirely to 80 by just crafting, although I really haven't tried that in like 6 years now, have more than a ton of starter boost and tomes to use, but I use to just level alts in pve to 20-30 and then use crafts to level the rest.

Useful link for fast crafting.https://gw2crafts.net/

@MikeG.6389 said:

@DoRi Silvia.4159 said:And also on the main topic I have leveled several characters to 80 purely from crafting using that exact method

This is back when gw2 launched in 2012, I had made a ton of 'real money' from diablo 3 before I started playing and instead of exchanging that fund to bank digits I put it into gw2.

So I exchanged gems to gold and didnt really have much to spend on .. so I speed leveled a few toons and invested on a few dusks

@"XenesisII.1540" said:Back in the day crafting to 400 use to get you around 9-10 levels, then I believe the exp was nerfed and it dropped to around 7 levels or so, but we also have 400-500 levels now so that kinda makes up for it. But yes I believe it's still possible to level entirely to 80 by just crafting, although I really haven't tried that in like 6 years now, have more than a ton of starter boost and tomes to use, but I use to just level alts in pve to 20-30 and then use crafts to level the rest.

Useful link for fast crafting.https://gw2crafts.net/

This is not completely accurate. I level my key farmer using cooking. I get to level 11 (from level 2) by the time cooking is around level 200. I wonder if XP bonus from APs affects XP gain from crafting. I do not use any boosters, guild buffs, etc.

You can get around 7 levels unbuffed, or around 10 levels with things such as a Hero Booster (which I recommend both for the XP bonus, and the crafting xp bonus helping you save gold with less materials needed).

These days I just use a level 20+ Birthday boost, then craft to the point until I can just consume however many Tomes of Knowledge I have to hit 80.

@Providence.7185 said:

@"DoRi Silvia.4159" said:And also on the main topic I have leveled several characters to 80 purely from crafting using that exact method

MikeG, please share the easier/faster methods to get to level 80. Seriously, I am all ears as I am just learning the game.

After review, crafting for about $5 gets the character to max in a reported roughly 2 hours. Bear in my mind, the $5 is based off gw2crafts.net. The 2 hours is from player reports.

Most how to level fast videos suggest about 25 hours or so. The difference between 2 hours and 25 hours is worth $5. I could find no better way. Plus the crafting is done as a bonus (legendaries, ascended gear).

Why the desire to reach level 80 quickly? A number of reasons. Mounts, gliding etc. The fact that for most classes I will play an elite spec which are not available until level 80. Plus XP gained while not working on Masteries (level 80 required) is lost from that perspective.

My plan is to level to 80, get the raptor and then go back to the starter zones - "level" following the hearts and do the personal story normally but with my preferred elite spec which gives me a chance to learn it in easier spots.

You might consider consulting the Wiki (link above), or other sources, for information about the game.

You can't just go get the Raptor, and immediately unlock a new Elite Specialization; Elite Specializations require Hero Points, either from Core Tyria (1 HP per Hero Challenge), or either of the expansions (10 HP per Hero Challenge).

You will also need Mastery Points to unlock the Mastery Tiers to take advantage of experience gained after the first track. Also, XP gained in Core Tyria won't be used in HoT Mastery Tracks (Gliding, etc.) or PoF Mastery Tracks (Mounts). You will have to acquire XP in those expansion (and related Living World Season/Saga) maps.

Good luck.

Yesterday I levelled my key farming character to level 11 with cooking. I started at level 2 with approximately 25% XP toward level 3 (XP from map discovery). I reached level 11 when cooking was level 223. My account has a bonus of 19% XP gain from APs. No boosters, buffs, etc.

It seems that wiki is not accurate when it suggests that 400 levels of crafting translate into 7 levels of character XP.

@Ol Nik.2518 said:Yesterday I levelled my key farming character to level 11 with cooking. I started at level 2 with approximately 25% XP toward level 3 (XP from map discovery). I reached level 11 when cooking was level 223. My account has a bonus of 19% XP gain from APs. No boosters, buffs, etc.

It seems that wiki is not accurate when it suggests that 400 levels of crafting translate into 7 levels of character XP.

Thats because the first 15 character levels have a modified Exp requirement. This is meant to accelerate those first few levels by a factor of 2, and gradually decreases to factor of 1 at lvl15.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:You might consider consulting the Wiki (link above), or other sources, for information about the game.

You can't just go get the Raptor, and immediately unlock a new Elite Specialization; Elite Specializations require Hero Points, either from Core Tyria (1 HP per Hero Challenge), or either of the expansions (10 HP per Hero Challenge).

You will also need Mastery Points to unlock the Mastery Tiers to take advantage of experience gained after the first track. Also, XP gained in Core Tyria won't be used in HoT Mastery Tracks (Gliding, etc.) or PoF Mastery Tracks (Mounts). You will have to acquire XP in those expansion (and related Living World Season/Saga) maps.

Good luck.

Thank you for that. I have been reviewing the Wiki for such info. My plan is to get the Hero pts for the elite specs (working out how) and then go back to the start of the Core maps.

@Providence.7185 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:You might consider consulting the Wiki (link above), or other sources, for information about the game.

Good luck.

Thank you for that. I have been reviewing the Wiki for such info. My plan is to get the Hero pts for the elite specs (working out how) and then go back to the start of the Core maps.

I'd suggest staying in the Core Tyria Maps and level to 80 naturally. Then, spend time in the Season Two maps, Dry Top and The Silverwastes, before ever venturing very far into Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire. HoT and PoF are significantly more challenging than Core Tyria; especially for a boosted (even by crafting) character. You can acquire a significant number of the needed Hero Points in Core Tyria.

Good luck.