Flesh Wurm

miguelsil.6324

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:Okay here you go. Now imagine 6 - 8 Reapers doing this in to a cluster of players. Instant cast remember. No fiddling around with that summon, just pop right in there with CttB pre-cast and mass stun a bunch of people.

Or if it's 1v1, there are a lot of other nasty combos you could do. Sure, Necro doesn't have blocks, invuln or high mobility, but that doesn't mean an instant teleport is necessary. I'm not saying better defense options wouldn't be nice, I just think this particular option has too much potential.

I apologize if it sounds like I'm being snide, I'm not trying to disrespect peoples wishes to see Necro improved where it's weak. I just wanted to provide an example to support my opinion.

EDITStupid link didn't work :x. Should be good now.

This is nowhere near as bad as condi DH that drops way more people down almost instantly.

Sorry but instant cast wurm would not make necro broken by any means considering all other classes have way worst buids with more than one ability to escape after.

Also if spectral walk and wurm are used at same time to maybe pull off a few kills that means the class just lost ALL mobility plus 2 stunbreaks and became an easy target.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:Okay here you go. Now imagine 6 - 8 Reapers doing this in to a cluster of players. Instant cast remember. No fiddling around with that summon, just pop right in there with CttB pre-cast and mass stun a bunch of people.

if you class stack any profession in numbers of 6 or 8 in a jump in assault style tactic (with coms especially) any of them can become broken so im not sure this is really a valid thing to consider.

Or if it's 1v1, there are a lot of other nasty combos you could do. Sure, Necro doesn't have blocks, invuln or high mobility, but that doesn't mean an instant teleport is necessary. I'm not saying better defense options wouldn't be nice, I just think this particular option has too much potential.

Keep in mind i was not assuming this strat would be used for a 1v1 i was thinking minimum 4v4 or 5v5 pvp setting. IT would be a bit silly to try a combo like that in a 1v1 for a wide number of reasons.As for an instant teleport the way it see it is that every other light armor profession has this and necro does not you can even say the same for things like vigor blocks etch. I doubt necros will ever get blocks or evades or vigor but i dont think a single instant port would be too much to ask for.

I apologize if it sounds like I'm being snide, I'm not trying to disrespect peoples wishes to see Necro improved where it's weak. I just wanted to provide an example to support my opinion.

This is understandable

Just to talk about your example though.1: You technically did prove my point that you can already do it as of right now and its not an issue now (or so i dont think). I dont understand how making the wurm instant would change anything really other than making the this combo example slightly smoother/quicker. This means that wurm being instant would just be more or less QoL and the combo would be slightly less clunky feeling to use it would feel more like jump in combos done on other professions more or less and using wurm to retreat would be more flexible.

2: This is technically wvw example and not a spvp example and things would go considerably different in the different modes. In WvW there are far more busted things you can do that would down an even larger number of players. In wvw necro is also considerably in a better spot for a number of reasons, to name few....

• In zerg fights like this you wont directly be focused because of the sheer number of players moving around on both sides. Its safe to say none of those players could probably even see you or the wurm because most players likely pc's have to turn things way down to do wvw scale battles comfortably. Its possible that for a majority of those people you basically could have had perma stealth while dealing that damage because their game had yet to render you. (thats a game mode issue for the most part)
  • Your life force will always be topped off from deaths happening around you in wvw where as in pvp life force is a bit more critical as not as many deaths happen as fast and its mostly based on landing skills to gain the majority of it.

Realistically if this was scaled down from a 40v40 to a 5v5 the 4 or 5 people you managed to down would be equivalent to like 1 player in pvp. You did some good damage and even if you killed all of those downs it likely didnt change the entire course of the battle immediately. I dont see the issue.

In wvw this might work but in pvp your results would be much less effective as people would likely see you coming and actively defend against burst attempts like this.

I still dont think instant wurm would be any more busted than it is now it would mostly be QoL imo.

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Gamble.4580 said:Defo needs to be instant cast as u have to cast and then use after and it’s very noticeable so makes no sense it’s not always instant cast

What is this argument? What you just said is that any skill with cast time should be changed to instant cast, because they have cast time and shouldn't have one.

Well it won’t make sense if u change what I said where the hell did the any skill with cast time come from lmao. Reread.

They hit aegis and instantly lose shroud in melee because they are not fighting afk players or they get weakness on them and hit like wet noodles. Im reaper main btw.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:Okay here you go.That port wasn't even needed. The path was wide open and pretty obvious the lemmings at the destination weren't paying a lick of attention. Your spectral walk didn't really do much. You could have easily spectral walked then mounted and had the same result and still had the fleshwurm available(better yet had taken WoS and possibly had enough damage output to finish all the downs) or placed the wurm by the tree to the left and walked to the wall then saved spectral walk for an oh shit moment in the event the zerg killed the wurm and you needed to gtfo.

You downed 5 people and only killed 1 before you had to run or end up dead....much op /s

Now imagine 6 - 8 Reapers doing this in to a cluster of players. Instant cast remember. No fiddling around with that summon, just pop right in there with CttB pre-cast and mass stun a bunch of people.

Why would anyone running a meme comp like that waste a utility PER NECRO when a single mesmer could portal the group with the addition of stealth so they wont see you coming. There's plenty of classes/builds that when stacked become rather potent (burn guard, burstzerker, trollbeast just to name a few). Necro gaining a faster cast (or instant) isn't going to make up for its shortcomings. Same concept with scourges portal....the cast time is abysmal no one runs this utility(the 900 range isn't doing it any favors either)

You mean like guard, ele, rev, thief?(more I'm probably forgetting). It would only be a week or two at the most for the playerbase to adjust assuming the change was good enough that more people actually ran the skill anyway. Then it would be back to business as usual. The less than average players will die because they were gonna die regardless and the better players are going to be waiting for you to do it and have a stun ready and waiting for you.

@Gamble.4580 said:

@Gamble.4580 said:Defo needs to be instant cast as u have to cast and then use after and it’s very noticeable so makes no sense it’s not always instant cast

What is this argument? What you just said is that any skill with cast time should be changed to instant cast, because they have cast time and shouldn't have one.

Well it won’t make sense if u change what I said where the hell did the any skill with cast time come from lmao. Reread.

I didn't change what you've said unless I completely misunderstood your point, which pretty sure I didn't.What you said: "needs to be instant cast as u have to cast and then use after and it’s very noticeable so makes no sense it’s not instant cast"

Which means you claim it needs to be instant cast, because the first part of the spell (which is NOT a stunbreak) has cast time. The second part (which IS a stunbreak) is already instant. You said the first part needs to be instant, because it's noticable that it has cast time. Right?

Now where the "any skill" came from? I did NOT claim you said that, because you obviously didn't, but the only "argument" you had for flashwurm instantcast was "it has a cast time, so it shouldn't have one". By THAT EXACT SAME LOGIC you can say that about any other spell. The cast time is noticable, so lets make it instant. That's not a valid argument.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

I didn't change what you've said unless I completely misunderstood your point, which pretty sure I didn't.What you said: "needs to be instant cast as u have to cast and then use after and it’s very noticeable so makes no sense it’s not instant cast"

Which means you claim it needs to be instant cast, because the first part of the spell (which is NOT a stunbreak) has cast time. The second part (which IS a stunbreak) is already instant. You said the first part needs to be instant, because it's noticable that it has cast time. Right?

Now where the "any skill" came from? I did NOT claim you said that, because you obviously didn't, but the only "argument" you had for flashwurm instantcast was "it has a cast time, so it shouldn't have one". By THAT EXACT SAME LOGIC you can say that about any other spell. The cast time is noticable, so lets make it instant. That's notYour

Lol you can invest a book of reply’s heck u can start a YouTube channel I stand by my post.

@Gamble.4580 said:

Now where the "any skill" came from? I did NOT claim you said that, because you obviously didn't, but the only "argument" you had for flashwurm instantcast was "it has a cast time, so it shouldn't have one". By THAT EXACT SAME LOGIC you can say that about any other spell. The cast time is noticable, so lets make it instant. That's notYour

Lol you can invest a book of reply’s heck u can start a YouTube channel I stand by my post.

I know you stand by it, that was never the question here lmao. I'm just saying your "argument" wasn't a valid one and explained you why.

• Confused 1

@"Anchoku.8142" said:Why not make it port across major terrain breaks like height (outside of a JP)?

It would be nice if Wurm's port was changed so the player turns into to an arcing projectile-like thing similar to what wurms throw or Epi's blobs so that the player "flies" over terrain breaks.

I wonder if there's a way to make Wurm a true teleport while maintaining its current placement restrictions? That way, placing it is dependent on places you could get to anyway, but recall can be done from anywhere.

@Sobx.1758 said:

I know you stand by it, that was never the question here lmao. I'm just saying your "argument" wasn't a valid one and explained you why.

That’s because Timmehh.

Hi all! I'm a reaper main and my main activity in the game is WvW solo roaming.I think flesh wurm is pretty good as it is, but would feel really really nice with the cast time a bit lower.

As I understand it, wurm is not meant to be an "oh shit" button as it requires precasting, and that's fine. I get it that necromancers have somewhat lackluster defensive utilities when compared to other classes (which is offset by our big agressive potential with corrupts), and i've learned to deal with it. That is what makes roaming with reaper so much fun to me: it's really unforgiving, yet so satisfying to pull off. Positioning is the name of the game for necros and, for that reason, i get it if ANet feels that the cast time should remain.

But I also think that the cast time could be lower (or make the wurm survive mounting up, that would be ok aswell). I feel like the 1 1/2s casttime is reminiscent of a time when the combat was a lot slower paced, but now it feels a huge drag to try to cast it during combat. I alwasy try to precast it, but there are situations where that is impossible. If I get on my mount and engage, I can't have it precast. If I get jumped by someone, I can't have it precast. That means that you have to find an opening during the fight to cast it, and that may be hard to come by. And when I do find the opening, it can be kinda tricky not to cancel the cast when under pressure. I have died several times because I thought the cast was done, but I had canceled it with a dodge or going into shroud to avoid death or to retaliate before porting away, only to realise a few seconds later that my wurm was not up and I was doomed. When there are other people attacking you, 1 1/2s is a lot. While that is a l2p issue for me, it can also be hard to play around it having high ping. Being in such a situation feels really bad, the skill just feels cluncky then.

My point is: with current cast times, the wurm is somewhat unreliable. It is only reliable when you have the opportunity to precast it before going in the fight, but otherwise it is unreliable.

Lowering the cast time would fix that and wouldn't make it op. Using the wurm to do wombo combos with spectral walk is fun, but it's not that effective in the big picture because you can't do shit afterwards as you just used two of your stunbreaks. I usually only do that when defending a structure and I do my burst and then sit around waiting for the cooldowns... That combo is only really good when you get your teammates to warclaw stomp the downs you generate, because I can never stick around to finish them or else I run out of spectral walk and can't port back.

Lowering the cast time would be great, Anet. Gameplay would be more fluid and that would help necros have a bit more survivability that they need.

edit: typos.