I need to apologize (re: Episode 2)

I was wrong about the new map (expansion) - it is pretty good, actually. The puzzles within those Raven Gate dungeons are mucho fun, many of the events are too, including the meta which is decent with its mechanics. The (current) strike mission I did today was also good, I see it's another rotation thing (which is very welcome). The achievements seem a lot, but there is no rush, and while some might feel like a grind, others don't (like the lighting puzzles, for instance). The rewards are fun to work towards as well.

I stand by my first impression of the story being rather awful (way too short and in large parts not particularly well written, hence disappointing), but there is nothing bad I can say about the map after all. On the contrary: good job there, and my apologies.

P.S. Let's hope the next episode will have a good map and a solid story. ;)

I thought you left the game ;)

The map has grown on me but it still isn’t worthy of what their talents are capable of. There are some questionable geographical design elements and things just seem randomly placed. Events lack engagement as well with the stage for Drakkar particularly unsuited for the fight.

The initial negative reaction comes from the split into two halves. Unlike Silverwastes which actually added with releases yet at the core was a brilliant map from a gameplay pov, Bjora takes two rather substandard mini maps and shoves them together. They work better combined and the extra stuff added do enhance the first section, but the pairing isn’t seamless as it should be.

Had they stayed the course and this been one map from the start, I’d have had much less of a problem beyond its inorganic construction, as it did become greater than the sum of its parts in the end.

It is still an average map and not a patch on what they are capable of delivering and designing. But I agree over time I have found it more palatable as well

@Randulf.7614 said:I thought you left the game ;)

The map has grown on me but it still isn’t worthy of what their talents are capable of. There are some questionable geographical design elements and things just seem randomly placed. Events lack engagement as well with the stage for Drakkar particularly unsuited for the fight.

The initial negative reaction comes from the split into two halves. Unlike Silverwastes which actually added with releases yet at the core was a brilliant map from a gameplay pov, Bjora takes two rather substandard mini maps and shoves them together. They work better combined and the extra stuff added do enhance the first section, but the pairing isn’t seamless as it should be.

Had they stayed the course and this been one map from the start, I’d have had much less of a problem beyond its inorganic construction, as it did become greater than the sum of its parts in the end.

It is still an average map and not a patch on what they are capable of delivering and designing. But I agree over time I have found it more palatable as well

Dry Top was divided too, entering the other part of the zone through a tunnel. The reason Dry Top worked cohesively is because the meta was zone wide. Even the two halves of this zone have two different metas, so it feels like two zones.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:I thought you left the game ;)

Dry Top was divided too, entering the other part of the zone through a tunnel. The reason Dry Top worked cohesively is because the meta was zone wide. Even the two halves of this zone have two different metas, so it feels like two zones.

Yes, Dry Top is another example of them adding a map cumulatively in a way that was nearly seamless. And Dry top individually and combined is one of the smallest maps in the game which makes it even more impressive that it worked at all. No part feels wasted.

The best part about Dry Top (and wasn't planned that way of course) is that the tunnel is not the only way to cross map. You can use the crystals and mounts to access each area. I do not recall Bjora having the ability to cross the wall barrier otherwise

@"Randulf.7614" said:I thought you left the game ;)

I had. But I was curious about an update, and once I logged in - well, you know how it goes. ;) I am definitely no longer holding my hopes up for things I know will never come. I'm now seeing the game for what it is and only play it very casually when I play it (which is no longer on a daily basis). I am also spending a lot less money on it.

The map has grown on me but it still isn’t worthy of what their talents are capable of.

See last comment, as well as earlier ones. In most cases, we get either a decent map or a decent story chapter, but rarely both in one package. Not being a fan of episodic game releases adds to the frustration when you see the potential and are expecting/hoping for great things. Hence it's better to acknowledge the truth and appreciate the little things. In my honest opinion, greatness can no longer be achieved at this point (or what single individuals define as "greatness", since expectations vary).

The initial negative reaction comes from the split into two halves. Unlike Silverwastes which actually added with releases yet at the core was a brilliant map from a gameplay pov, Bjora takes two rather substandard mini maps and shoves them together. They work better combined and the extra stuff added do enhance the first section, but the pairing isn’t seamless as it should be.Had they stayed the course and this been one map from the start, I’d have had much less of a problem beyond its inorganic construction, as it did become greater than the sum of its parts in the end.

That's probably a correct observation.

I truly love the lighting puzzle caves/dungeons. That's my personal highlight of the map. My second favorite thing are some of the rewards (like the fishing rod skin), but that can hardly be called "content" per se. ;)

I really liked where the game was heading quality-wise by the end of Season 4 (LWS4 had a few truly outstanding episodes story-, map- and story mission-wise), but expecting them to keep that level as their new standard is probably asking too much. I see that now.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:I thought you left the game ;)

I had. But I was curious about an update, and once I logged in - well, you know how it goes. ;) I am definitely no longer holding my hopes up for things I know will never come. I'm now seeing the game for what it is and only play it very casually
when
I play it (which is no longer on a daily basis). I am also spending a lot less money on it.

The map has grown on me but it still isn’t worthy of what their talents are capable of.

See last comment, as well as earlier ones. In most cases, we get either a decent map or a decent story chapter, but rarely both in one package. Not being a fan of episodic game releases adds to the frustration when you see the potential and are expecting/hoping for great things. Hence it's better to acknowledge the truth and appreciate the little things. In my honest opinion, greatness can no longer be achieved at this point (or what single individuals define as "greatness", since expectations vary).

The initial negative reaction comes from the split into two halves. Unlike Silverwastes which actually added with releases yet at the core was a brilliant map from a gameplay pov, Bjora takes two rather substandard mini maps and shoves them together. They work better combined and the extra stuff added do enhance the first section, but the pairing isn’t seamless as it should be.Had they stayed the course and this been one map from the start, I’d have had much less of a problem beyond its inorganic construction, as it did become greater than the sum of its parts in the end.

That's probably a correct observation.

I truly love the lighting puzzle caves/dungeons. That's my personal highlight of the map. My second favorite thing are some of the rewards (like the fishing rod skin), but that can hardly be called "content" per se. ;)

I really liked where the game was heading quality-wise by the end of Season 4 (LWS4 had a few truly outstanding episodes story-, map- and story mission-wise), but expecting them to keep that level as their new standard is probably asking too much. I see that now.

The problem they ultimately have is that everything is being received differently across the board. I thought the latter half of ls4 story wise was some of the worst stuff they’ve ever put out. In fact I struggle to find anything I’ve hated more in an RPG story than what they delivered story wise in ls4. And the general feelings on ls4 have been very mixed across the board. There were some good maps in Jahai and Dragonfall but the stories did not match their level for me by a worrying margin (which supports your earlier comment).

So far I’ve prob preferred the Saga to the mostly awful ls4, but I maintain these problems would lessen if they stopped working to arbitrary schedules. Quality needs time and you can’t put consistent quality out in the time frame out Anet has tried to work towards these past 8 years as they have shown time and time again

@Randulf.7614 said:The problem they ultimately have is that everything is being received differently across the board. I thought the latter half of ls4 story wise was some of the worst stuff they’ve ever put out.

I wasn't too fond of our first fight against Kralkatorrik, either. That was rather ridiculous, but I believe it was stated somewhere by an ex-employee that they had to change the story mission on short notice because of the schedule.

There were some good maps in Jahai and Dragonfall

Yes, I liked those two myself, Jahai mostly for its story missions (I wish they had done more with the palace). Dragonfall was fun event- and exploration-wise.

So far I’ve prob preferred the Saga to the mostly awful ls4, but I maintain these problems would lessen if they stopped working to arbitrary schedules. Quality needs time and you can’t put consistent quality out in the time frame out Anet has tried to work towards these past 8 years as they have shown time and time again

This I wholeheartedly agree on, and it would be good if they realized the fact. Their publisher is probably putting a lot of pressure on them, though.

It's nice to see positive feedback. I'm almost done with my achievements, and am about to exclude this map from my rotation.

1.) It is not as fun to me as older maps2.) Buggier than older maps (Khodas events)3.) The rewards/time ratio is to low to justify it.

LS3 content is still my favorite, so I might be the minority.