Your opinion of Whisper of Jormag strike mission?

@"Firebeard.1746" said:No long term goals? A ton of precursors can drop from the weekly chests (not all)Yeah, gen 1 precursors... but ok, let's take a look at our options for getting our hands on a gen 1 precursor here:

option A: play strike missions and pray that, not just any precursor but the one for the legendary you want to make drops

option B: just run the most profitable gold farm and buy the precursor you want from the TP

Option B is clearly the better choice here. When I said "any worthwhile long term goals" I was refering to stuff like unique aura infusions or an asc/leg version of the runic set. Something that can't just be acquired by other means.

And no, the lack of long term goals isn't the main issue here either but they would definitely help which is why I mentioned them.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Tails.9372 said:

@"Firebeard.1746" said:No long term goals? A ton of precursors can drop from the weekly chests (not all)Yeah, gen 1 precursors... but ok, let's take a look at our options for getting our hands on a gen 1 precursor here:

option A: play strike missions and pray that, not just any precursor but the one for the legendary you want to make drops

option B: just run the most profitable gold farm and buy the precursor you want from the TP

Option B is clearly the better choice here. When I said "any worthwhile long term goals" I was refering to stuff like unique aura infusions or an asc/leg version of the runic set. Something that can't just be acquired by other means.

And no, the lack of a long term goals isn't the main issue here either but they would definitely help which is why I mentioned them.

You can also trade the ones you get for ones you want. Gold farming is relative - it's easier for some, not others. You also get some pretty quick cash per day if you just do bears, fraenir and shiverpeaks. Also note the more people that are open world farming the more the gold supply depletes. On some level, gold farmers are dependent on the economy where most the cash comes from other sources (fractal junk, raids, dailies, strike chests, pvp). If everyone copies the gold farmers the economy will tank and no one will make anything.

@Firebeard.1746 said:No long term goals? A ton of precursors can drop from the weekly chests (not all)So, how many did you drop so far?

(seriously, precursor drop rate is so high you're better off going for content that drops rares/exotics and forging those - or just farming for gold directly In both cases you'd probably get your precursor way faster than hoping for a lottery win in strikes - and since all those types of contet have a chance of dropping precursors as well...).

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Firebeard.1746 said:No long term goals? A ton of precursors can drop from the weekly chests (not all)So, how many did you drop so far?

(seriously, precursor drop rate is so high you're better off going for content that drops rares/exotics and forging those - or just farming for gold directly In both cases you'd probably get your precursor way faster than hoping for a lottery win in strikes - and since all those types of contet have a chance of dropping precursors as well...).

Seeing as how i've done like 4 weekly chests total, not sure that's a good enough sample size (some of those span multiple weeks, i haven't always done the required ones, i actually do easy ones frequently for volatile magic and cash). Ascended armor and weapons, both random and purchasable are a huge deal as the stats can be swapped on them at any moment with the mystic forge. Also, strike missions make breaking into other content easier as well because you can outright buy selectable stat exotics with shards. You can also earn selectable stat ascended trinkets easy with season 4 currencies and ice shard conversions, the only missing slot, back, can also be earned via achievements. People line up day in and day out for the abysmal chance at an ascended drop from TT or Teq. If people aren't doing them, it's because they're lazy or unaware at how effective strikes can be. There's tons of people shooting for ascended gear out there, i'm actually curious why they wouldn't be trying to earn them via strikes. I do think they have an issue when it comes to advertising though. I didn't learn there were precursors or ascended gear in the weekly chests until today when i previewed the loot.

Also, not sure exotic farming is that effective: i get maybe 1 for a given open world event but that's like in an entire month. There's tons of non precursor exotics, i believe the only exotics that drop from weekly chests are precursors, or maybe one or two selectable stat charr legion ones. So you're far more likely to get one once you actually have one drop as most are precursors.

Actually good point: how many precursors have you received from farming sources of random exotics? And over what time period?

@"Firebeard.1746" said:Also, not sure exotic farming is that effective: i get maybe 1 for a given open world event but that's like in an entire month. There's tons of non precursor exotics, i believe the only exotics that drop from weekly chests are precursors, or maybe one or two selectable stat charr legion ones. So you're far more likely to get one once you actually have one drop as most are precursors.i... have no idea what you tried to say here.

1. weekly chests do not "drop" precursors. They have a chance to drop them. The same, as any content that can drop level 80 exotics.

Actually good point: how many precursors have you received from farming sources of random exotics? And over what time period?I never bothered to actually farm anything. I guess i am too casual for that. In my whole history i dropped around 10 precursors or so. Half of them from the forge (no, i'm not heavily forging stuff, i just throw a bunch of rares into it from time to time), the other half from trash mobs. I still in fact remember my two first cases: one was Energizer from Barracuda in Twilight Arbor story mode, the other was Lover from a random risen mob around Dwayna Temple (normal, map mob, not even an event one). Didn't drop any in over a year, but that's not surprising seeing as i barely play anymore.

Yes, weekly Strike chests can drop precursors. But the same is also true of most mobs in this game. And while the chances of precursors in the Strike chests might be a bit higher (it's still abysmally low, if you wonder. You're not very likely to ever see one), you can kill a lot of those common mobs during a week.

By the way, how much do you think precursor prices changed since weekly strike rewards were introduced? I mean, if they supplied precursors in any decent quality (and certaily if they gave "a ton" of them, like you said originally) the prices should have tanked by now.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Firebeard.1746" said:Also, not sure exotic farming is that effective: i get maybe 1 for a given open world event but that's like in an entire month. There's tons of non precursor exotics, i believe the only exotics that drop from weekly chests are precursors, or maybe one or two selectable stat charr legion ones. So you're far more likely to get one once you actually have one drop as most are precursors.i... have no idea what you tried to say here.
  1. weekly chests do not "drop" precursors. They have a
    chance
    to drop them.
    The same, as any content that can drop level 80 exotics

Actually good point: how many precursors have you received from farming sources of random exotics? And over what time period?I never bothered to actually farm anything. I guess i am too casual for that. In my whole history i dropped around 10 precursors or so. Half of them from the forge (no, i'm not heavily forging stuff, i just throw a bunch of rares into it from time to time), the other half from trash mobs. I still in fact remember my two first cases: one was Energizer from Barracuda in Twilight Arbor story mode, the other was Lover from a random risen mob around Dwayna Temple (normal, map mob, not even an event one). Didn't drop any in over a year, but that's not surprising seeing as i barely play anymore.

Yes, weekly Strike chests can drop precursors. But the same is also true of most mobs in this game. And while the chances of precursors in the Strike chests might be a bit higher (it's still abysmally low, if you wonder. You're not very likely to ever see one), you can kill a
lot
of those common mobs during a week.

By the way, how much do you think precursor prices changed since weekly strike rewards were introduced? I mean, if they supplied precursors in any decent quality (and certaily if they gave "a ton" of them, like you said originally) the prices should have tanked by now.

The loot tables on the weekly chests from the emissary (echo/hum chest) show a highly scoped subset of exotics all of them precursors. So your chance of getting a precursor is much higher than a random exotic, if the chest rolls an exotic. If you do the weekly emissaries.

Edit: I just looked at the loot tables again.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

The loot tables on the weekly chests from the emissary (echo/hum chest) show a highly scoped subset of exotics all of them precursors. So your chance of getting a precursor is much higher than a random exotic. If you do the weekly emissaries.

Edit: I just looked at the loot tables again.

What is the chance to loot a precursor from one of these weekly bonus chests? What is the chance to loot a random exotic?

@Firebeard.1746 said:The loot tables on the weekly chests from the emissary (echo/hum chest) show a highly scoped subset of exotics all of them precursors. So your chance of getting a precursor is much higher than a random exotic, if the chest rolls an exotic. If you do the weekly emissaries.

Edit: I just looked at the loot tables again.Yes, they are present. Point is, loot tables from common mob drops could be also presented in such a way, with a separate all-precursor category. Notice, that it doesn't mean the chances of obtaining those are any good - in both cases it's an ultra-rare category. The same category as, say, permanent contracts in black lion chests.

Frankly, seeing as you can only open one weekly strike chest per week, but can murder hundreds of mobs in just a few map metas, you are more likely to get precursors from other sources than from strikes.

And, to repeat my earlier point you skipped on - it doesn't seem to me like the precursor prices have tanked lately. Am i mistaken?

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Firebeard.1746 said:The loot tables on the weekly chests from the emissary (echo/hum chest) show a highly scoped subset of exotics all of them precursors. So your chance of getting a precursor is much higher than a random exotic, if the chest rolls an exotic. If you do the weekly emissaries.

Edit: I just looked at the loot tables again.Yes, they are present. Point is, loot tables from common mob drops could be also presented in such a way, with a separate all-precursor category. Notice, that it doesn't mean the chances of obtaining those are any good - in both cases it's an
ultra-rare
category. The same category as, say, permanent contracts in black lion chests.

Frankly, seeing as you can only open one weekly strike chest per week, but can murder hundreds of mobs in just a few map metas, you are more likely to get precursors from other sources than from strikes.

And, to repeat my earlier point you skipped on - it doesn't seem to me like the precursor prices have tanked lately. Am i mistaken?

There's actually 4 different chests, one for each echo. Also, it's very efficient -> you actually only need to do the strike mission once for the echo. and then 3 for dailies at some point. Note these can overlap and generally don't take more than 10 minutes (so you're doing 4-7 strikes a week). Howler is only 100g as of now. not sure if that's a drop, I haven't been watching precursors much lately. I was initally snagged on strikes for VM, ice shards and ease of ascended gear acquisition.

@Firebeard.1746 said:People line up day in and day out for the abysmal chance at an ascended drop from TT or Teq.+That's because they want to have the skins.

@Firebeard.1746 said:There's tons of people shooting for ascended gear out there, i'm actually curious why they wouldn't be trying to earn them via strikes.Because there's generally no point in doing so. Just farming gold is a lot more effective in getting you asc gear. Getting asc gear through SMs costs 1800 shards vs. the ~300 gold (assuming you also have to level your crafting skills) you can get from [insert gold farm here] and most people this content aims at probably already have asc gear so it's mostly useless as a reward.

@Tails.9372 said:

@Firebeard.1746 said:People line up day in and day out for the abysmal chance at an ascended drop from TT or Teq.+That's because they want to have the skins.

@Firebeard.1746 said:There's tons of people shooting for ascended gear out there, i'm actually curious why they wouldn't be trying to earn them via strikes.Because there's generally no point in doing so. Just farming gold is a lot more effective in getting you asc gear. Getting asc gear through SMs costs 1800 shards vs. the ~300 gold (assuming you also have to level your crafting skills) you can get from [insert gold farm here] and most people this content aims at probably already have asc gear so it's mostly useless as a reward.

No one telling me to do tt or teq has advertised it as skins, but okay.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

No one telling me to do tt or teq has advertised it as skins, but okay.You were talking about asc gear so ofc. it's about the skins, if it's not for them then the ~2,5 gold and achievements are the other reasons to do teq but no one is there just to "gear up to asc" through boss drops.

@Tails.9372 said:

No one telling me to do tt or teq has advertised it as skins, but okay.You were talking about asc gear so ofc. it's about the skins, if it's not for them then the ~2,5 gold and achievements are the other reasons to do teq but no one is there just to "gear up to asc" through boss drops.

I'm not crapping you: no one ever said 2.5 g and a cool skin to me. Also, leveling crafting skills, when i did it, was on the order of hundreds of gold, so maybe that initial 500-600g for the first set is a little too much for some people.