Normalize leaving a 2v1 when the enemy is at 10% to 30%

GuriGashi.5617

It is common knowledge that the concept of correctly rotating and +1‘ing is the key to competitive PvP to not have a shortage of players on other areas of a map. Even worse is seeing people up in Plat still doing the mistake of „overkilling“ opponents in 2v1 situations - meaning spending time in a 2v1 until the enemy enters the downstate, when that is not necessary in most situations and can lead to the map falling into the other teams hands, because teammates are left in a 3v4. It is more than enough +1ing a 1v1, dropping 1 or 2 high damage bursts and leaving the rest to the (in the best case) unharmed teammate while rotating to the next point. It happens surprisingly often in ranked that 2 people spend around 30 to 60 seconds of the time 2v1‘ing an opponent, which results in the loss of all the other points when 1 person would have been enough to get the job done

@snoow.1694 said:It happens surprisingly often in ranked that 2 people spend around 30 to 60 seconds of time 2v1‘ing an opponent, which results in the loss of all the other points when 1 person would have been enough to get the job done

This and the title are not the same thing, but I still agree with your point.

The difference between 10% and downstate is only a fraction of a second to a couple of seconds, but I'd leave before down if I was not constantly plagued by getting a player in a 2v1 to 10% and thinking my teammate has it, only for them to lose both the fight and the point when I move somewhere else.

That being said, if you're 2v1ing someone for 30-60 seconds, you're being baited while your team gets steamrolled. Don't do that. If you can't instamelt someone 2v1 under 30 seconds, chances are:

• That enemy is a bunker designed to waste time.
  • Your teammate will be just fine contesting that point and not dying without your help since most bunkers have garbo damage output.

@Terrorhuz.4695 said:You trust your teammates enough to finish the job? I don't.Yesterday I fought a match where the enemy made a comeback from >400 to winning while we were at 497.

And there was a downed thief which was reviving himself and nobody did a kitten thing about him.

Yes that is always the danger, but it is all about probablity and logic. The probablity of your teammate - without knowing them - finishing an opponent at 10-30% is higher than the person failing, statistically seen. Plus if we think about it logically it is far better joining into a 4v4, maybe steamroll the enemy team and cap 2 points even when the team mate loses the 1v1 against an opponent at 10-30%, because only one point would end up in the other teams possession. Of course that is just theory and there are far more factors deciding the outcome of a match, but to embrace avoiding fights that aren't necessary results in better rotations

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

@snoow.1694 said:It happens surprisingly often in ranked that 2 people spend around 30 to 60 seconds of time 2v1‘ing an opponent, which results in the loss of all the other points when 1 person would have been enough to get the job done

This and the title are not the same thing, but I still agree with your point.

The difference between 10% and downstate is only a fraction of a second to a couple of seconds, but I'd leave before down if I was not
constantly plagued by getting a player in a 2v1 to 10% and thinking my teammate has it, only for them to lose both the fight and the point when I move somewhere else.

That being said, if you're 2v1ing someone for 30-60 seconds, you're being baited while your team gets steamrolled. Don't do that. If you can't instamelt someone 2v1 under 30 seconds, chances are:
  • That enemy is a bunker designed to waste time.
  • Your teammate will be just fine contesting that point and not dying without your help since most bunkers have garbo damage output.

I absolutely agree and also with the point that the title of the thread was maybe a little misleading. I also think it is absolutely correct calling those fights baits, since the rest of the team ends up being farmed if too much time is spent finishing one person

The amount (quality) of tactical/strategical thinking ... probably is different and pretty random - depends on the players you get in your team. If people here say ... that even in platin the bad decisions happen : I am in silver/gold only and I get good and bad decisions ... it sometimes feels like a totally different tier from match to match. Well ... being bad at combat keeps us all in silver/gold. But we have totally different strategical decisions happening. (Depending on the map they can have bigger or smaller impact on the match. If we had only maps with secondary mechanics that have a huge impact ... then people better here might be on a higher rank even thouggh they are bad at combat. I am already lower ranked in 2 vs.2 only - where it is only about fights. :D )

I see 2 or more people trying to finish a downed guy. 2 or more people standing in a empty circle to cap it. Or people leaving when it is almost capped. (Leaving too early ... maybe they want to save time but are not accurately doing it and better to wast 1 millisecond than staying 1 millisecond too short and not fully capping.)

The trebuchet guy trebbing an empty node where only 1 enemy caps (where it does not help if the enemy just dodges or heals up ... if no own player is fighting there). Stuff like that ... it happen all the time.

Matchmaker can't accurately measure this. Cause it depends on the mal. The rating is also a mix of the different ratings for different maps. (Cause you randomly get to play on different maps.) Got strategical player that is bad at combat might perform better on maps like Temple ... less good on maps like Coliseum.

@Terrorhuz.4695 said:You trust your teammates enough to finish the job? I don't.Yesterday I fought a match where the enemy made a comeback from >400 to winning while we were at 497.

And there was a downed thief which was reviving himself and nobody did a kitten thing about him.

There are situations where the outcome is pretty determined. Also, within 2-3 minutes you can tell who know what they are doing and who is not. People over chasing and over committing is a major mistake.