Open World Domination: Fire Weaver

I've been doing some WvW roaming again lately. It isn't open world domination exactly, but I am basically using my open world build! I just swap in cleansing sigil and take smothering auras to give myself solid condi protection and I'm good to go!

It sort of goes along with my goal of a one-size-fits-all build. I know you can't really do that if you want to be the best at any particular thing, but this build is about as close as I've come to it! Roaming, PvP, open world/story, even T4 fractals are no problem! Good stuff! And you can run cheap dire exotic with this if you want to, so there's no big gold sink or time gate. Just dive right in!

• Like 1

Thanks for your vids and posts, Ely! I returned to GW2 recently after 8 years of being away partially because I missed playing my elementalist. I tried the Power Sword Weaver first because it ranked highly on Metabattle but I felt weak in both survivability and DPS (I was using it as a roaming PvE build, and it's intended for fractals where you get buffs from other players).

I was considering switching to FotM Fireband but after seeing this thread I changed my mind and love the elementalist more than ever!!

I also used https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Weaver_-_Starfire_Roamer as a reference which provided some additional info on a fire/arcane sword/focus weaver. I like that the build is fairly malleable and can be adjusted to fit different applications.

Keep posting vids, I'd love to see some of you doing other events like difficult fractals, raids etc!

@"Tuco.2419" said:Thanks for your vids and posts, Ely! I returned to GW2 recently after 8 years of being away partially because I missed playing my elementalist. I tried the Power Sword Weaver first because it ranked highly on Metabattle but I felt weak in both survivability and DPS (I was using it as a roaming PvE build, and it's intended for fractals where you get buffs from other players).

I was considering switching to FotM Fireband but after seeing this thread I changed my mind and love the elementalist more than ever!!

I also used https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Weaver_-_Starfire_Roamer as a reference which provided some additional info on a fire/arcane sword/focus weaver. I like that the build is fairly malleable and can be adjusted to fit different applications.

Keep posting vids, I'd love to see some of you doing other events like difficult fractals, raids etc!

Perfect! I love to hear this kind of feedback!

I don't do the serious organized stuff like fractal cms or raids. But for pickup t4s for dailies this works out great because I don't need a healer but can still perform more than adequately on dps. Whatever comp I get is fine as long as the other players can stay alive and do whatever they need to do.

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:

How much burning do you want? I've got video pushing 40k burn ticks in fractals and bursting 20k+ burn ticks in 4 seconds on fire weaver in solo play. Nobody is doing 3x that with burning on any class, though fire brand is capable of similar results.

I can agree with the complaint about the feel of core/tempest with regard to how the skills are separated. Perhaps you should try weaver? It doesn't feel as locked in as the others because you have dual skills, faster rotation, and only commit half way to a particular element when you swap.

Combat Log

Been practicing my weaving, got a few questions:

1. I know the class and your playstyle eschews ability rotations in favor of mobile and active gameplay, but what's the opening sequence you typically go with and what did you execute to get 20k ticks in 4 seconds solo?
  2. How long did you play before you stopped staring at your skill bars watching cooldown times? :D I feel like I'm either looking at my skill bars and being blind to what's going on around me or looking at what's going on around me and being blind to what abilities I should be using.

@Tuco.2419 said:

How much burning do you want? I've got video pushing 40k burn ticks in fractals and bursting 20k+ burn ticks in 4 seconds on fire weaver in solo play. Nobody is doing 3x that with burning on any class, though fire brand is capable of similar results.

I can agree with the complaint about the feel of core/tempest with regard to how the skills are separated. Perhaps you should try weaver? It doesn't feel as locked in as the others because you have dual skills, faster rotation, and only commit half way to a particular element when you swap.

Combat Log

Been practicing my weaving, got a few questions:
  1. I know the class and your playstyle eschews ability rotations in favor of mobile and active gameplay, but what's the opening sequence you typically go with and what did you execute to get 20k ticks in 4 seconds solo?
  2. How long did you play before you stopped staring at your skill bars watching cooldown times? :D I feel like I'm either looking at my skill bars and being blind to what's going on around me or looking at what's going on around me and being blind to what abilities I should be using.

Well, look at it this way. Once you know what your skills do, a quick glance at the bar every 4 seconds or so should do the trick. You just have to avoid watching your bars when you don't need to (bad habit I am guilty of at times!). Knowing which attunement to rotate to is a mixture of avoiding those you've hit the last pass through and whatever you happen to need at the moment. That just takes some practice before a natural flow develops wherein you rotate through that fire, air, and earth combination and special situations where you need healing or CC from water or air/earth combinations.

For bursting your big move is pyrovortex (fire/air dual skill). A simple opener would be to pop all of your utilities and elite (glyph of elemental power in fire attunement, fire signet, primordial stance, and weave self), then drop pyrovortex. You can also begin in fire/earth and pop lava skin before rotating into air/fire. This will get you quick stack of vulnerability from primordial stance in air before you rotate into fire/fire for the double burn stack pulse from primordial + lava skin pulse. The pyrovortex and GoEP add rapid stacks on top of this which is how you can rack up so much burning so quickly.

Here are a couple of video samples. The first demonstrates a quick burst against a couple of veteran bristlebacks and the second is using the basic rotation through fire, air, and earth that I use on offense while evading what needs to be evaded from a hard-hitting champion:

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you for all the work. I am currently trying to use this build but the trinkets are giving me trouble. Is there something I can replace the dire/trailblazer trinkets with until I get the proper ones ? Right now I got 2 apotechary rings, but I'm not sure how good that option is.

Also, is the build linked in the first page still up to date and how does it scale with the below ?http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZwkYXsJGJOKPnvbA-zRRYkh7pNaQwlRmJQoFgDHgA1Avlu+0A-e

@"SoundWave.9154" said:Just wanted to say thank you for all the work. I am currently trying to use this build but the trinkets are giving me trouble. Is there something I can replace the dire/trailblazer trinkets with until I get the proper ones ? Right now I got 2 apotechary rings, but I'm not sure how good that option is.

Also, is the build linked in the first page still up to date and how does it scale with the below ?http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZwkYXsJGJOKPnvbA-zRRYkh7pNaQwlRmJQoFgDHgA1Avlu+0A-e

Don't worry too much about the stats or traits. Earth works great. So does arcane. Dire stats are good, but anything with condi primary is a good pick. The build you link does seem to have a bit too much expertise, however. You're at 100% burn duration before accounting for the buff from Weaver's Prowess.

Here's a concept build. Feel free to adjust to taste!

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZwkYXsJmJOKPnvaA-zRRYcBBSGNcfjRiCoTCofW81TD-e

It gains nearly 500 armor and 400 condi damage over my fire/arcane build, while giving up 4.5k health you'll never miss (and can somewhat compensate for by taking Master's Fortitude if you prefer). It has solid protection uptime due to synergy between elemental shielding, sunspot, and focus offhand, but a somewhat reduced capacity for healing and evasion due to the loss of energy sigil and evasive arcana. This build should be more forgiving and a bit less complicated to play than the arcane variant, while also dealing better damage.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@"SoundWave.9154" said:Just wanted to say thank you for all the work. I am currently trying to use this build but the trinkets are giving me trouble. Is there something I can replace the dire/trailblazer trinkets with until I get the proper ones ? Right now I got 2 apotechary rings, but I'm not sure how good that option is.

Also, is the build linked in the first page still up to date and how does it scale with the below ?

Don't worry too much about the stats or traits. Earth works great. So does arcane. Dire stats are good, but anything with condi primary is a good pick. The build you link does seem to have a bit too much expertise, however. You're at 100% burn duration before accounting for the buff from Weaver's Prowess.

It gains nearly 500 armor and 400 condi damage over my fire/arcane build, while giving up 4.5k health you'll never miss (and can somewhat compensate for by taking Master's Fortitude if you prefer). It has solid protection uptime due to synergy between elemental shielding, sunspot, and focus offhand, but a somewhat reduced capacity for healing and evasion due to the loss of energy sigil and evasive arcana. This build should be more forgiving and a bit less complicated to play than the arcane variant, while also dealing better damage.

Thank you so much ! The main thing I want to get right are the trinkets. They seem soo hard to get so I would be pretty sour if I mess that up. The way I understand it, the ascended set is better, but not that much better. The main thing you need are the weapons and trinkets.

I was ready to give up my ele to be fair. Now with this build it's so much better, I really don't feel like a napkin. Even though I'm running a wierd mix of zerk trinkets and dire set, the results are noticeable. That and your videos are pretty encouraging so I'm going for the full build. Did you by any change ever soloed one of those Executioner thiefs ? The ones that spawn after you kill the chamption I mean. I saw one of your videos where you engaged one but there were multiple people. Not even sure how that would be possible with an ele, you would need something to agro and your elemental can only do so much I suppose.

@SoundWave.9154 said:

@SoundWave.9154 said:Just wanted to say thank you for all the work. I am currently trying to use this build but the trinkets are giving me trouble. Is there something I can replace the dire/trailblazer trinkets with until I get the proper ones ? Right now I got 2 apotechary rings, but I'm not sure how good that option is.

Also, is the build linked in the first page still up to date and how does it scale with the below ?

Thank you so much ! The main thing I want to get right are the trinkets. They seem soo hard to get so I would be pretty sour if I mess that up. The way I understand it, the ascended set is better, but not that much better. The main thing you need are the weapons and trinkets.

I was ready to give up my ele to be fair. Now with this build it's so much better, I really don't feel like a napkin. Even though I'm running a wierd mix of zerk trinkets and dire set, the results are noticeable. That and your videos are pretty encouraging so I'm going for the full build. Did you by any change ever soloed one of those Executioner thiefs ? The ones that spawn after you kill the chamption I mean. I saw one of your videos where you engaged one but there were multiple people. Not even sure how that would be possible with an ele, you would need something to agro and your elemental can only do so much I suppose.

Again, don't overthink it. There is nothing you can do with this build in ascended gear that you can't do in exotic (except fractal progression!) and all you really need is to cap burn duration and use gear with condition damage as the primary stat.

The legendary executioner actually isn't as difficult as he looks and is totally doable solo with this build. More difficult is getting him to spawn without other players showing up!

Edit: I wanted to follow up on this. I tested out the fire/earth setup again. My first test was avatar of Balthazar and I hit a very respectable 0:48 time at 16k DPS. I still prefer the feel of my arcane setup, but this one is arguably better and easier to play. So I can definitely recommend it as a great solo play build!

Really enjoying this build, @"AliamRationem.5172". In the T1 fractals I'm usually top DPS (I think one time I lost BIG to a holosmith, what the hell), I've never been beaten by another weaver. In zergs I'm always top 3, sometimes top, but I'm always try-harding so I dunno if that counts. I also don't know how accurate ArcDPS is.

A few weeks ago I bought:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088TQXYX2https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088WCG7L4and have it glued in this config:AJlZiFa.pngI use them for the 4 attunements. I use my left foot for fire attunement and my right foot to switch between water/air/earth.

I also use this mouse and haveG12: Weapon 1G9: Weapon 2G10: Weapon 3G11: Weapon 4G14: Weapon 5G13: DodgeySiJvQF.png

I was worried it'd be slow and unwieldy but it's actually really smooth, frees up my left hand for WASD / Utility clicks and is really, really fun to hit the pedals and switch attunements.

The biggest problem I'm dealing with now is balancing staring at my abilities to know when they are ready to be used and staring at the boss to hit my dodge. Even though I stack vitality/toughness on all my gear, I still need to hit dodge to stay alive and keep up DPS. The other problem I have is related, I often can't see what the hell the boss is doing because of all the effects I and others are casting. I'd love to edit the GW2 game files and just remove ALL player effects.

@Tuco.2419 said:Really enjoying this build, @"AliamRationem.5172". In the T1 fractals I'm usually top DPS (I think one time I lost BIG to a holosmith, what the hell), I've never been beaten by another weaver. In zergs I'm always top 3, sometimes top, but I'm always try-harding so I dunno if that counts. I also don't know how accurate ArcDPS is.

A few weeks ago I bought:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088TQXYX2https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088WCG7L4and have it glued in this config:AJlZiFa.pngI use them for the 4 attunements. I use my left foot for fire attunement and my right foot to switch between water/air/earth.

I also use this mouse and haveG12: Weapon 1G9: Weapon 2G10: Weapon 3G11: Weapon 4G14: Weapon 5G13: DodgeySiJvQF.png

I was worried it'd be slow and unwieldy but it's actually really smooth, frees up my left hand for WASD / Utility clicks and is really, really fun to hit the pedals and switch attunements.

The biggest problem I'm dealing with now is balancing staring at my abilities to know when they are ready to be used and staring at the boss to hit my dodge. Even though I stack vitality/toughness on all my gear, I still need to hit dodge to stay alive and keep up DPS. The other problem I have is related, I often can't see what the hell the boss is doing because of all the effects I and others are casting. I'd love to edit the GW2 game files and just remove ALL player effects.

Wow! That's pretty cool! Puts my poor laptop and 5-button mouse to shame!

On effects, you can turn down post-processing to get rid of most of the blinding glare. If you're still having trouble judging when to dodge, as we were recently discussing there is always the fire/earth version of this build. With no evasive arcana to worry about, better protection uptime, and generally just better passive damage reduction, you can facetank a lot more and focus on dealing damage. It even deals a bit better damage, too! I admit the fire/arcane version is just more of a play style/feel thing for me. I keep trying fire/earth, but I always go back to fire/arcane.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:Wow! That's pretty cool! Puts my poor laptop and 5-button mouse to shame!

On effects, you can turn down post-processing to get rid of most of the blinding glare. If you're still having trouble judging when to dodge, as we were recently discussing there is always the fire/earth version of this build. With no evasive arcana to worry about, better protection uptime, and generally just better passive damage reduction, you can facetank a lot more and focus on dealing damage. It even deals a bit better damage, too! I admit the fire/arcane version is just more of a play style/feel thing for me. I keep trying fire/earth, but I always go back to fire/arcane.Yeah I love dodging around wayyy to much to give up evasive arcana. And in any game I like interactive gameplay where I have to dodge instead of builds that let me facetank stuff. I can only stay interested in high skill-cap gameplay. Probably very similar to you.

@TricksteR.1392 said:@AliamRationem.5172 not sure if you've replied to this before, but I'll give it a go anyway:

Do you think the build would do a lot better with full traiblazers or even full trail + those 3 dire trinkets (inverted build)?

The only wrong answer here is to waste expertise above the +100% condition duration cap.

The way I play my build focuses entirely on burn damage (typically 80-90%). For this reason, I've chosen Balthazar runes for the +50% burn duration. The additional expertise from Trailblazer is wasted as a result. This is why I use Dire rather than Trailblazer. If you prefer to use a different rune, you should adjust your stats to compensate for any lost condition duration.

@TricksteR.1392 said:@AliamRationem.5172 not sure if you've replied to this before, but I'll give it a go anyway:

Do you think the build would do a lot better with full traiblazers or even full trail + those 3 dire trinkets (inverted build)?

The only wrong answer here is to waste expertise above the +100% condition duration cap.

The way I play my build focuses entirely on burn damage (typically 80-90%). For this reason, I've chosen Balthazar runes for the +50% burn duration. The additional expertise from Trailblazer is wasted as a result. This is why I use Dire rather than Trailblazer. If you prefer to use a different rune, you should adjust your stats to compensate for any lost condition duration.

Yeah, it makes sense...Are u using any base stat infusions? I know u dont need them, but you could have a lot of laurels standing by doing nothingI'm talking about th +4 ones, not the +7,+8,+9 that u get from fractals.Since this is only an open world build u won't need agony anyway

And if so, which would be the best, stacking condi damage or expertise? (+4 condi damage per slot or +4 expertise per slot) (in order tor each 100% without traiblazers + food)

@TricksteR.1392 said:

Yeah, it makes sense...Are u using any base stat infusions? I know u dont need them, but you could have a lot of laurels standing by doing nothingI'm talking about th +4 ones, not the +7,+8,+9 that u get from fractals.Since this is only an open world build u won't need agony anyway

And if so, which would be the best, stacking condi damage or expertise? (+4 condi damage per slot or +4 expertise per slot) (in order tor each 100% without traiblazers + food)

The answer is still the same. Don't overcap your burning duration. The max you need is 90% since you get 10% from the weaver trait. If you're using food then you'll need even less than that.

You can play around in build editor to minmax duration to ~88-90% and fill the rest with expertise infusions, but for an open world build, it's a waste of time and gold. If you don't need expertise you'll obviously benefit more from condi damage.

@steki.1478 said:

The answer is still the same. Don't overcap your burning duration. The max you need is 90% since you get 10% from the weaver trait. If you're using food then you'll need even less than that.

You can play around in build editor to minmax duration to ~88-90% and fill the rest with expertise infusions, but for an open world build, it's a waste of time and gold. If you don't need expertise you'll obviously benefit more from condi damage.

I just wanted to point out that the Weaver's Prowess trait is actually +20% condition duration (it also grants +10% condition damage), making your cap target 80%. With my build this only requires 10% condition duration from expertise (or other sources).

As for the infusions? Seriously, don't overthink it! You won't get kicked from open world for not having infusions! :)

I just wanted to point out that the Weaver's Prowess trait is actually +20% condition duration (it also grants +10% condition damage), making your cap target 80%. With my build this only requires 10% condition duration from expertise (or other sources).

As for the infusions? Seriously, don't overthink it! You won't get kicked from open world for not having infusions! :)

Right, I had the build, but forgot to link it.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZwmYXMJmJOqOnvaA-zxIY8opvMKNB6oAcYaUwzG-e

It doesnt even require trailblazers or expertise infusions.

ahaha, I know that, it's just that I have so many laurels laying around, and since I have ascender gear for this build anyway, I'd rather use the empty infusion slots

Someone asked me if I had done a solo video of the Legendary Bloodstone-Crazed Wyvern with my build. I hadn't. This boss spawns by RNG and it announces to the entire map with a map marker, making it difficult to get practice attempts. But this was close enough and given that I haven't even seen this boss in weeks or months, I don't think it turned out too badly!

I'm working on building up my ascended gear. I've got one trailblazer ring and need a second ring and don't want another trailblazer since I'm condition duration capped, but you can't get Dire rings for fractal relics. What's a relatively easy Dire ring to get?