Are Guild Lottery's a scam?

I have been running a few versions of a guild lottery. In a fact it causes a lot of debate when it is not transparent and fair. I would keep an extensive list of all sales of tickets and screenshots of all transactions. The drawing was always done in public and I never participated myself. It was a lot of work, but in my experience doing it different would cause a lot of drama.

@blp.3489 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:The perks of being an event organizer I guess, spend 200g on a prize and keep the other 200g people send in for tickets to win said prize

I'm not sure how to parse this, you are spending 200g and collecting 200g, or you are spending 200g and collecting 400g for 200g in personal profit?

Personally gaining 200g out of each event, i.e. doubling your money, seems a bit excessive, but I guess as long as the participants know that is what is happening I guess it is their choice. Gambling has a surprising appeal to a lot of people.

I wonder if you have found a lot of suckers or this was a troll post.

I think they spend 200g then get back 200g in tickets so they stay on zero spent.

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:I noticed many of these Guild do this weekly lottery. I wonder are they running this all legit operation or are they pocketing the money and not telling their membersI'm sure many are.I'm also very sure some are not.A friend of mine and I used to be members of one of the larger guilds you see advertising a lot. They held a daily "giveaway" and a weekly lottery. We noticed a pattern after a while that their daily giveaway winners all seemed to have something in common (very common female name followed by the numbers... like nicole.4354 or brandy.5623). Then I noticed on two occasions that the "winners" of the daily giveaway didn't actually exist.

While I suppose this is not as egregious as taking money from people in a lottery format (it was just giveaways that didn't technically exist), that was enough for me to steer clear of guilds that feel the need to promote themselves in this way.I think it says a lot about a guild when their social atmosphere is not good enough to retain their members and they need to resort to these kind of tactics, legit or not.

Guild lotteries are only as reliable as the people running them. In one of guild i was in it was found out that the leader stole 10k gold from the lotto. He attempted to keep everyone in the guild by saying he only stole 1k gold. Again, money has a strange way of corruption. Personally, I stay away from them, because the potential for fraud is very high.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:Guild lotteries are only as reliable as the people running them. In one of guild i was in it was found out that the leader stole 10k gold from the lotto. He attempted to keep everyone in the guild by saying he only stole 1k gold. Again, money has a strange way of corruption. Personally, I stay away from them, because the potential for fraud is very high.

Why would you have a 10k pot to begin with?

Every thing is about trust. You have to trust the guild, you have to trust whoever is running the lottery to be honest with how much gold is collected.

I believe many guild leaders are honest and their intend are sincerely for the members and for building the guild. But, there are many others who will exploit on this, and pocket half of the gold (probably more) by making false declarations, especially if the guild is a big and active one and many participated in the draw, amounting the pool of gold close to or more than 1k.

When having so much gold in your hands and there is no transparency, there is a high tendency for corruptions, after all we are humans and not many can resist the temptation of wealth.

Unless there is some kind of list in discord to show names of members and amount contributed, you will have to take their words or stay out of the draw.