Playing Hard Ball with Skyscale

@Sirbeaumerdier.3740 said:

@"melandru.3876" said:how can anyone have issues with this?

the balls get bounced back in a rather small zone, you have plenty of time to run to where the whire circle is.

standing in the middle is obviously best as you have to close the least distance.

its just modern day tennis; "camping" one side of the field gets you punnished on the other

support my girl!making top-notch guides

just look how easy loldid all 3 easy, medium and hard in less then 5 minutes

if this is allready hard for someimagine trying to do 100cm/regular 100 frac and they have to bounce the orb

If you actually take the time to read why people have problem with this you wouldn't reply such a thing. When you have a ping averaging around 700, by the time you are given the visual cue as to where the ball will land, it is too late to process the info, and move to the zone.

From my POV, I always get inside the catch zone way before the ball is shown landing. However, the sad reality is, the ball was almost already on the ground by the time I get the visual clue. I just didn't know it (even if I use a teleport skill since the skill trigger is so long its useless).

And, again, yes, my very first reflex was to position myself smack in the middle of all possible landing zone and lower every setting to the lowest possible. It changed nothing.

Maybe with some jedi precognition...

they can't balance a game (or mechanics) for such extreme cases.while i do understand that it's annoying, it just is what it is.

the skyscale has probably 100000 complaint threads. some are valid, some are not. this is the only thread about the ball. i'm pretty sure there are more people who are limited in their ways of playing through whatever reason possible.

as you can see in the video that i posted, the player in question hardly had to move in easy and mediumin hard there were a couple of times she had to move from 1 side to the other. all this without swiftness/speed

having speed is just a bonus but is by no means a must

@melandru.3876 said:

@melandru.3876 said:how can anyone have issues with this?

the balls get bounced back in a rather small zone, you have plenty of time to run to where the whire circle is.

standing in the middle is obviously best as you have to close the least distance.

its just modern day tennis; "camping" one side of the field gets you punnished on the other

if this is allready hard for someimagine trying to do 100cm/regular 100 frac and they have to bounce the orb

If you actually take the time to read why people have problem with this you wouldn't reply such a thing. When you have a ping averaging around 700, by the time you are given the visual cue as to where the ball will land, it is too late to process the info, and move to the zone.

From my POV, I always get inside the catch zone way before the ball is shown landing. However, the sad reality is, the ball was almost already on the ground by the time I get the visual clue. I just didn't know it (even if I use a teleport skill since the skill trigger is so long its useless).

And, again, yes, my very first reflex was to position myself smack in the middle of all possible landing zone and lower every setting to the lowest possible. It changed nothing.

they can't balance a game (or mechanics) for such extreme cases.while i do understand that it's annoying, it just is what it is.

the skyscale has probably 100000 complaint threads. some are valid, some are not. this is the only thread about the ball. i'm pretty sure there are more people who are limited in their ways of playing through whatever reason possible.

as you can see in the video that i posted, the player in question hardly had to move in easy and mediumin hard there were a couple of times she had to move from 1 side to the other. all this without swiftness/speed

I have no doubt that under normal condition this is very easy. I have very good reflexes and when I had a better ISP this was never an issue at all. I'm also aware that they can't do much about it. The problem is on the side of my ISP (I have no choice of it where I currently am).

I guess it just felt good to share some frustration as the casual aspect of GW2 was all that remained accessible to me. Now even mount acquisition from a living story is beyond my grasp. Anything that require even a little reflex or coordination is a near impossible obstacle now. Regardless of how skilled I can be.

I have no doubt that under normal condition this is very easy. I have very good reflexes and when I had a better ISP this was never an issue at all. I'm also aware that they can't do much about it. The problem is on the side of my ISP (I have no choice of it where I currently am).

I guess it just felt good to share some frustration as the casual aspect of GW2 was all that remained accessible to me. Now even mount acquisition from a living story is beyond my grasp. Anything that require even a little reflex or coordination is a near impossible obstacle now. Regardless of how skilled I can be.

does it help if you play during off-hours?

some of my friends in the usa have bad ping during day, but when they play at night it improves quite a bit

@melandru.3876 said:

some of my friends in the usa have bad ping during day, but when they play at night it improves quite a bit

I admit I haven't really tried night play. Maybe it will make enough of a difference.

I admit I haven't really tried night play. Maybe it will make enough of a difference.

It’s unlikely given it is an instance but worth a try off peak time and with all graphics turned down to lowest.

I’ve also found full screen rather than windowed full screen can pull up a small performance improvement

These are largely tiny effective changes but you never know

I managed this myself (in try 4 or so) but maybe a suggestion for Anet....

Add in a fail mechanic... Say fail 10 times in a row on this activity = instant successfull completion. That way ppl with high ping/disabilities aren't locked to proceed. Ofc the game can't be catered for everyone with this issue throughout game (like the fractal balls mechanic mentioned above) but I personally think a mount progress shouldn't be blocked. Also don't delete the event as its hella fun to do when you have ok ping and no issues.

• Like 1

@Aaralyna.3104 said:I managed this myself (in try 4 or so) but maybe a suggestion for Anet....

Add in a fail mechanic... Say fail 10 times in a row on this activity = instant successfull completion. That way ppl with high ping/disabilities aren't locked to proceed. Ofc the game can't be catered for everyone with this issue throughout game (like the fractal balls mechanic mentioned above) but I personally think a mount progress shouldn't be blocked. Also don't delete the event as its hella fun to do when you have ok ping and no issues.

Or just x number of successes in total rather than in a row. I think that would be fine as it is just a flavour activity

• Like 1

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Aaralyna.3104 said:I managed this myself (in try 4 or so) but maybe a suggestion for Anet....

Or just x number of successes in total rather than in a row. I think that would be fine as it is just a flavour activity

That works as well...

• Like 1

@melandru.3876 said:

First, it's a bit elitist of you to be so dismissive, particularly as you appear to have not read the actual issue.

Second, This is not the only thread about the ball. There are several about this very issue. There are also several "out there" in cyberland that aren't in the forums. This isn't an isolated frustration for just a few people. All it takes is a small physical issue, just enough to slow you down that extra (very needed) nano-second, and the player is effectively locked out of getting this mount. Like many others here, I enjoyed the collections for the most part and was actually in agreement on the time-gating thing (c'mon people, instant gratification addiction much?), but this is just needlessly frustrating.

I'm sure we can all understand gating mechanics of high AP tasks such as Jumping Puzzles, that's fair, they're not needed to advance in the game, but do showcase those with better skills than the rest of us. But to gate a mount in this way? That seems unnecessary (at best).

For me? I'm lucky enough to have a very good IRL friend who also plays the game. I'm probably going to fix him a giant pan of his favorite casserole and he can physically do this for me, if I still can't get it after applying the tips I've seen in the forums so far today.....so I'll try those first...but if not, it's casserole city for my GW2 bestie. :D

@Graymalkyn.8076 said:

Also, always make sure to walk back to the middle position.
Don't just stand there after throwing back the ball. There is a spot which is sort of at the center of all available positions the ball can get thrown to. That way you can cut the distance you need to travel to the next spot by close to 30-40%.

THIS. I too am older with not the fastest reflexes, and not until moving more to the middle position after each catch was I able to complete the mini-game. Just a couple of steps made a big difference. Also, don't try it when you're tired and frustrated (easy to say, hard to do, I know). Good luck!

Yup...that's what I did too. Got it on my second try on a char with no speed boost.

I did this as well, on a Reaper with no speed buffs. I also aimed my camera to look down.

@Skye Terrier.3805 said:

First, it's a bit elitist of you to be so dismissive, particularly as you appear to have not read the actual issue.

Second, This is not the only thread about the ball. There are several about this very issue. There are also several "out there" in cyberland that aren't in the forums. This isn't an isolated frustration for just a few people. All it takes is a small physical issue, just enough to slow you down that extra (very needed) nano-second, and the player is effectively locked out of getting this mount. Like many others here, I enjoyed the collections for the most part and was actually in agreement on the time-gating thing (c'mon people, instant gratification addiction much?), but this is just needlessly frustrating.

I'm sure we can all understand gating mechanics of high AP tasks such as Jumping Puzzles, that's fair, they're not needed to advance in the game, but do showcase those with better skills than the rest of us. But to gate a mount in this way? That seems unnecessary (at best).

For me? I'm lucky enough to have a very good IRL friend who also plays the game. I'm probably going to fix him a giant pan of his favorite casserole and he can physically do this for me, if I still can't get it after applying the tips I've seen in the forums so far today.....so I'll try those first...but if not, it's casserole city for my GW2 bestie. :D

did you really call me elitist, in an collection-themed subject? that's a new one

also..funny that you brought up jumping puzzles, guess what you will have to do next

I can say that I did mine on a Guardian with no movement speed increases, so with standard latency and physical reflexes, the collection can be completed (easily, I might add) with just basic run speed. So any build with increased movement speed will yield an advantage - fastest is probably running Herald + Rising Momentum trait + Facet of Elements.

@"ROMANG.1903" said:I am not sure it is a good thing for most of the community to balance the game around people having several seconds latency and very poor reflexes... I'm now wondering how you got out of all the rest of the game with such imparements?

"Balance the game?"

It's one mere item. And a mount at that. Most of the rest of the game has workarounds for most stuff. For example "portal to friend" and/or mesmer portal for people who just suck at JPs. You can party with guildies and friends to do tough achievements, etc. and so on.

So, to mollify the majority of the people who can do it with little trouble, give them some extra AP, or a starter skin for the skyscale. Don't make getting a mount contingent on something like this. None of the rest of them were.

• Like 1

Mirage is definitely worth a try. Superspeed on dodge, use of Jaunt and Blink... they all really mitigate for poor reflexes and bad latency. (Personal experience was with a temporarily poor internet connection and after several pints of amber nectar...)