Don't be Overly Safe with the New Specs

gmmg.9210

Mesmer feels glassy and too weak in pvp, Necro's numbers aren't totally busted, Guard feels like a race car with probably too many gap closers. Don't hold back on pushing for strong specs (esp. in pvp and wvw).  My only worry is that Anet will be too safe, and the PoF Specs will cast a shadow on the new ones.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with this - but I would agree with it with a caveat.

Don't be overly safe with the new spec ideas and mechanics. I'm fine with adjusting the actual numbers of this stuff to ensure that the new specs don't just automatically perform better than existing ones - indeed I think it's really important not to overshadow PoF and HoT specs.

However, I think there may be a tendency to limit the fun and creativity in the mechanics of the new elite specs (perhaps in the interest of being easier to balance). Virtuoso definitely feels like this in my opinion - great base idea, but compared to what Mirage or Chronomancer got, it seems really uninteresting. It's massively important that these specs are fun and cool! If they're a little undertuned, that can be fairly easily remedied. If they're boring to play, they'll be DOA.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I think EoD is in the middle of a very serious tention between Power creeping the specs and making specs appealing, particularily for some professions who cover the bases for all roles.

So the tuning and balance will be weird for some time, as we can see.

Virtuoso, Willbender and harbinger all are basically trash tier in PvE if not for the overtunes number they have. If Anet tunes them right, they have no reason to exist over their previous competitors, and that may be a problem if it extends to other incoming specs.

Look at druid and Soulbeast for example, there is not a chance that the buffs get overshadowed by anything that the new spec will grant, barring a huge nerf to those, so you can add this one to the trash-bin of PvE new specs. Alacgade could be argued to be blocking any salvageableness for a spot as any other revenant spec.

If anything, the worry that has been expressed by some community members is that EoD specs will feel tame and "balanced" while PoF specs will remain king as they are bloated with utility,damage and unique things that has not even remotely been met by what we have seen so far.

And talking business, is it really a reasonable business decision to have an expansion released where when people will go on youtube or the forums to ask "What class to play ?" people will tell you to stay away from the new expansion specs as they are not very good ?

I'm not advocating for a busted op addition and crazy power creep to sell copies, but i'd say, like the previous poster that they need to have the new mechanics, interractions, gameplay and visuals blow us away so that people will be willing to take the hit in performance and optimization for the fun and awe factor. So far it's looking pretty bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Atomnium.1532 said:

-snip-

Consider the Necromancer. The Scourge is quite a radical departure from the previous Reaper and Core specs. Harbinger feels ....lacking in comparision.   My worries regarding the Harbinger is that it will get its damage amputated to Scourge levels, yet keeping its super squishyness.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Atomnium.1532 said:

Look at druid and Soulbeast for example, there is not a chance that the buffs get overshadowed by anything that the new spec will grant, barring a huge nerf to those, so you can add this one to the trash-bin of PvE new specs.

Which is actually fine, just give ranger a spec that doesn't belong to the trash bin in pvp/wvw. Ranger doesn't need a third spec with PvE buffs that aren't of any use outside of it.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 10:11 AM, DragonSlayer.1087 said:

Yeah, Willbender in PvP felt like it already got nerfed lol. 

They're too careful with the specs. 

bro, willbender is overloaded and power creeped with mobility they are not careful at all.

the moment it becomes more playable its gonna overshadow so many specs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, felix.2386 said:

bro, willbender is overloaded and power creeped with mobility they are not careful at all.

the moment it becomes more playable its gonna overshadow so many specs.

overloaded with CLUNKY "mobility". Those ranges are so short and full of "aftercast" and the pay-off is weak. 

• Thanks 1