Lightning Surge hack?

daninumbers.4036

Today I was in a squad fighting another one and I suddenly saw I was obliterated from full hp to downed. I said "Well I was caught in the bomb I guess", but when something so sharp happens I like looking at the combat log to see what killed me... to my surprise: https://imgur.com/VfUmBvx lightning surge, 5 hits for almost 14K damage, same name with rank and all. I highly doubt I had been targetted by 5 staff eles shooting it at me at exactly the same time. It hits 5 targets around it but it's really weird. And with a spike to then go down and up again, effect of losing and gaining might I guess, with the last 2 hits exactly the same damage.

It has 6 seconds cooldown in wvw as the wiki says https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lightning_Surge and my compounding chemicals would have healed me between hits if it had been a slow casting (24 seconds cooldown total), so no clue what happened here.

No way to find out who could have been but just sharing it here in case there is something I haven't considered and someone or Anet itself could shed some light on this weird thing.

I'm almost certain there was a day I was playing on my Elementalist and encountered a bug like this where a move that should have only hit once actually hit multiple times, I think three times in a row and killed my opponent. It might have been on my Staff perhaps, but it was a while ago so I only remember being confused at it happening but not the details. I thought perhaps the game just lagged or something.

I think its a bug and not a hack. But I have no idea how to reproduce it.

35 minutes ago, displayname.8315 said:

My only guess would be Bulwark Gyro, maybe it reports that transferred damage under the same skill name?  Would like to know if that's not it.. a head scratcher.

Thank you, that's a more probable thing, and hopefully what happened there. On the other hand I've calculated that max damage.

4873 is 35% of 13922. I'd be wondering if even being both glass pure power, for a skill on 6 seconds cooldown and area damage (formula for wvw Damage: 367 (0.91), should be hitting twice than that in pve ), that's a bit... too high? The min is 5054, that's a more realistic number. I've run pure power glass ele and I don't recall obliterating people with such innocent looking skill. Even meteor with an a lot higher formula takes a few hits to down you and I know I've used bulwark gyro when having it fall on my squad.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Eruption This skill, also staff 2, has a formula for wvw 504 (1.25), it'd damage that same player for a lot more. So not sure what to believe. Probably it was that, but with such numbers...

It's the first time I see this so either a glitch like fuzzyp says they've seen or no idea.

1 hour ago, daninumbers.4036 said:

4873 is 35% of 13922. I'd be wondering if even being both glass pure power, for a skill on 6 seconds cooldown and area damage (formula for wvw Damage: 367 (0.91), should be hitting twice than that in pve ), that's a bit... too high?

All 5 people you covered with bulwark took the hit.  Most are a typical number 2.5k and a 1.7k.. whoever fed you that 4873 was running glass and got you killed by facetanking.

I think the 35% thing of watchful eye is only between scrappers in range so everything else should be normal numbers.

Edited by displayname.8315
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, displayname.8315 said:

All 5 people you covered with bulwark took the hit.  Most are a typical number 2.5k and a 1.7k.. whoever fed you that 4873 was running glass and got you killed by facetanking.

I think the 35% thing of watchful eye is only between scrappers in range so everything else should be normal numbers.

definitely watchful eye, the 33% transferred damage would give this spread

it's more likely the 4.8k hit is being taken by the OP himself, the other damage is 1.7-2.5k for each of the other players, which checks out as about 33% of the damage it hits the whole party for. Really unlucky turn of rng

FB: 1.7k

-lightning surge would hit them for 5.1k

Scrapper: 4.8k, no watchful eye

herald/spb: 2.1k

-lightning surge would hit them 6.3k

dps x2: 2.5k

-lightning surge would hit them 7.5k

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mhm, that'd explain it better. Very bad luck hit hitting exactly everyone I was protecting. It usually felt like some sustain for the team but seeing this I wonder if it's more like a suicide button lol. The 4.8k should be mine indeed, not running glass.

Thank you for the answers. I think that better should refer to watchful eye rather than the skill you absorbed, or state it comes from it. Otherwise you read the log and wonder what just happened.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, daninumbers.4036 said:

Mhm, that'd explain it better. Very bad luck hit hitting exactly everyone I was protecting. It usually felt like some sustain for the team but seeing this I wonder if it's more like a suicide button lol. The 4.8k should be mine indeed, not running glass.

Thank you for the answers. I think that better should refer to watchful eye rather than the skill you absorbed, or state it comes from it. Otherwise you read the log and wonder what just happened.

Yep guard has had the suicide button 'save yourselves' which has been a suicide button since launch, and is worse now with the resistance changes. The only option to use it is to also use CoP at the same time and burn 2 long cooldowns for little value.

• Like 1