The possible dead of WvW.

Jon Snow.6780

4 minutes ago, zengara.8301 said:

It is just a weird comment you wrote. And I responded with people are clearly avoiding fights or running only 3-4 together which I explained happens right now in the game. I just met 2 running alone, they tried to run away, then 3 people north camp, 4 people south.

I do PvP, I am not super high. Between plat 1-2 on alt atm 2k AP, but capture the point is honestly a boring concept. And every server seem to be like this at the moment, there are people who genuinely want to log in and fight either big fights or small scale or maybe even 1v1, I know that, but it is in between a lot of what I consider boring hide behind walls kind of ideology stuff, or they are not facing the right people, it takes ages to put up. Again I fully understand people whom do not want to die all the time and risk it, and do other stuff. But this is just how I find the game entertaining

Generic Sandbox server games that call themselves mmos are all about what you say you want to get away from, like New World.

Why should anyone jump right into a fight with you not knowing what is nearby? People don't mind fighting and most players, even new players, don't mind dying. What people try to avoid are the kind of players who hound specific areas or routes who make any little thing some kind of personal drama. WvW players cause a lot of the problems they complain about. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kash.9213 said:

Generic Sandbox server games that call themselves mmos are all about what you say you want to get away from, like New World.

Why should anyone jump right into a fight with you not knowing what is nearby? People don't mind fighting and most players, even new players, don't mind dying. What people try to avoid are the kind of players who hound specific areas or routes who make any little thing some kind of personal drama. WvW players cause a lot of the problems they complain about. 

I thought I already explained the first part. But just to expand on what I wrote, in the future New World most likely will become like that, it was not in the beta, and I presume after 6 months it will be close to, if not direcly like Gw2, where it requires insane amount of time, gathering people etc to fight or roaming will contain mainly of 3-4 enemies 

For the last weird debate comment, people avoid fights because they do not want to die. Been in a looot of servers. People who just defend areas or stuff like that, do not whisper you. Gankers do, a few days ago a thief whispered me because they tried to gank me with a holo and I got them both (honestly just luck). I really do not understand why you suddenly became disingenuous with your comments, not saying this did not happen to you once or years ago....But this rare occurrence is a weird way of trying to say that people do not want to fight because of drama instead of respawn...lol, it is not even like a weird half/secret under the table/inbetween the words kind of deal, people directly states that time and time again 🤣

The weird part is that you are so invested in this comment that you are willing to outright lie, which makes me not want to comment back, because I am not that invested. But at this point you already know what I think about things and seem more keen to debate, so f** it I guess

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, zengara.8301 said:

I thought I already explained the first part. But just to expand on what I wrote, in the future New World most likely will become like that, it was not in the beta, and I presume after 6 months it will be close to, if not direcly like Gw2, where it requires insane amount of time, gathering people etc to fight or roaming will contain mainly of 3-4 enemies 

For the last weird debate comment, people avoid fights because they do not want to die. Been in a looot of servers. People who just defend areas or stuff like that, do not whisper you. Gankers do, a few days ago a thief whispered me because they tried to gank me with a holo and I got them both (honestly just luck). I really do not understand why you suddenly became disingenuous with your comments, not saying this did not happen to you once or years ago....But this rare occurrence is a weird way of trying to say that people do not want to fight because of drama instead of respawn...lol, it is not even like a weird half/secret under the table/inbetween the words kind of deal, people directly states that time and time again 🤣

The weird part is that you are so invested in this comment that you are willing to outright lie, which makes me not want to comment back, because I am not that invested. But at this point you already know what I think about things and seem more keen to debate, so f** it I guess

How am I lying? Our matchups has a lot of people being a lot more active than before, especially newer players. It's sloppy, but people are doing stuff and not really caring about points aside from a tag or two. And again, this is WvW, if people are hiding in a tower, knock a wall down, or just stay with spvp because that seems like the exact contained dynamic you're asking for. 

The part in bold is the point I made in my other comment, not sure why you're using that as an example since it puts us on the same page. Most players aren't trying to whisper you and get personal, but they're going to avoid people who will. It sucks that a part of WvW comes down to that but that's that fault of WvW players. You say you move around to all the servers but all the matchups aren't what you're describing currently. Check that point before calling someone else a liar. 

Edited by kash.9213

32 minutes ago, kash.9213 said:

How am I lying? Our matchups has a lot of people being a lot more active than before, especially newer players. It's sloppy, but people are doing stuff and not really caring about points aside from a tag or two. And again, this is WvW, if people are hiding in a tower, knock a wall down, or just stay with spvp because that seems like the exact contained dynamic you're asking for. 

The part in bold is the point I made in my other comment, not sure why you're using that as an example since it puts us on the same page. Most players aren't trying to whisper you and get personal, but they're going to avoid people who will. It sucks that a part of WvW comes down to that but that's that fault of WvW players. You say you move around to all the servers but all the matchups aren't what you're describing currently. Check that point before calling someone else a liar. 

Quick responses since you do not seem to read.

-PvP is about points not fighting, I am still plat 1-2 tho...Boring af, extremely far away from the dynamic I am asking for.

(People seemed hyped about a possible 10v10 deathmatch though)

-People come out 3-4 if you try to fight them, explained what happened when I roamed today

-I did not explain this previously, but I do several times solo knock down walls, 10 enemies comes, that part does make sense. It is an entire tower, not just random roaming

-Where do you think fights happen, and which server is currently doing so? Obviously the whole roaming thing is over, but what server currently have the fights, that I claim to only happen rarely?

Edited by zengara.8301

As with all sandbox games, it'll surge, there will be drama and some struggles for a while, guilds will rise and fall, but eventually groups will get bored of losing, late-start new players will have nowhere to build themselves up from to actually compete to keep the wheel turning and keep people motivated, the resource-driven economy will be taken over by a small collective to further keep everyone else suppressed, a game bug will go unresolved for too long that breaks the already-failing remainders of competitiveness, and the game will bleed a slow, sad death with empty maintenance notes while the studio lays people off or works on other things, trying to cahs in what little else they can from the decaying corpse of a bad idea executed well. 

I've worked on such a game.  The principles explored for MMO's in the late naughts are not sustainable, which is why nobody makes games that way anymore.

It starts out brilliant with big appeal from amazing graphics and cool gimmicks and a very interactive staff.  It ages poorly.  It's why GW2 got so far so quickly near launch, and still has  a lot of players.  Its the opposite of these games; GW2's foundation laid is VERY strong and IS sustainable, but executed poorly as to make people want more from it, rather than something entirely different. 

The only real competition to GW2 is if a game comes out that does exactly what it does, but better.-executed.  But so far... nobody's really doing that. 

33 minutes ago, zengara.8301 said:

Quick responses since you do not seem to read.

-PvP is about points not fighting, I am still plat 1-2 tho...Boring af, extremely far away from the dynamic I am asking for.

(People seemed hyped about a possible 10v10 deathmatch though)

-People come out 3-4 if you try to fight them, explained what happened when I roamed today

-I did not explain this previously, but I do several times solo knock down walls, 10 enemies comes, that part does make sense. It is an entire tower, not just random roaming

-Where do you think fights happen, and which server is currently doing so? Obviously the whole roaming thing is over, but what server currently have the fights, that I claim to only happen rarely?

Kainang's not my favorite link up but it's been active whenever I log on. I liked being linked with Mag more, but those matchups never filled the maps and that was before a lot of new players showed up. 

WvW is also about points. Your breakdown there sounds like people playing the game mode. If you're just looking for 1v1s, people have been complaining about "roaming is dead" for years, not sure what you think is different now if you were in the search for a new game. If nothing topped GW2 for you before this whole time that roaming has been dead, what about New World combat are you expecting to do for you?

I'm not a huge fan of WvW either despite the recent activity, I'd rather just have an open world pvp version of the mega server but WvW players don't want that, but it's no were near as vacant as you're claiming.

11 hours ago, kash.9213 said:

People don't mind fighting and most players, even new players, don't mind dying.

I don't know. If you play on NA you see 99% of the players are so afraid of dying that they port out of 3v3 or any fight. I have never seen anything like that on EU. Not a single group fight in a whole reset night because everyone is afraid their kdr drops a bit.

12 hours ago, gebrechen.5643 said:

I don't know. If you play on NA you see 99% of the players are so afraid of dying that they port out of 3v3 or any fight. I have never seen anything like that on EU. Not a single group fight in a whole reset night because everyone is afraid their kdr drops a bit.

I'm sure for my play times I'll start seeing things fizzle out again soon. Whenever our matchups have a slow stretch it gets real apparent how little of WvW is lived in. When people hit a wall and realize they're running across maps more than anything else they're likely to just go do something else that feels more like a game world then an empty set.

On 9/10/2021 at 1:18 PM, Jon Snow.6780 said:

New World Beta is sucking in the hardcore/semi hardcore, playerdrop in WvW is significant. You better come with something good Anet, or it's over and out in WvW.

i am actually looking forward for a change. so let see.. there are many worries how this will affect small fighting guild that like to fight alone and not join alliance. but whatever it is, be a little positive, wait and see. pretty sure dev are doing all they can to help cater for majority interest including that for small guilds.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

*whistles a tune*

Its even more interesting when you start compairing the basic functionality with GW2, because it shows you what games need on a fundamental level.

Using only monolithic servers is obviously a huuuuuuuge mistake for longevity. Definetly recognize this from the early days, when GW2 also had problems after a while with servers loosing people. The queueing situation is hilarious. Anet solved the PvE part with megaservers. But NW cant function like that due to the second core flaw below.

The entanglement of open world PvP in PvE for NW is severly hampering its ability for longevity because they cant really "fix" the population issues. One side can get so strong no one can touch them and from there its set in stone. Merging servers means some companies get kittened in PvE due to holdings. So splitting WvW and PvE with a weekly reset has in fact proven to be a very solid base.

But we'll see in a month or two how it looks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Its even more interesting when you start compairing the basic functionality with GW2, because it shows you what games need on a fundamental level.

Using only monolithic servers is obviously a huuuuuuuge mistake for longevity. Definetly recognize this from the early days, when GW2 also had problems after a while with servers loosing people. The queueing situation is hilarious. Anet solved the PvE part with megaservers. But NW cant function like that due to the second core flaw below.

The entanglement of open world PvP in PvE for NW is severly hampering its ability for longevity because they cant really "fix" the population issues. One side can get so strong no one can touch them and from there its set in stone. Merging servers means some companies get kittened in PvE due to holdings. So splitting WvW and PvE with a weekly reset has in fact proven to be a very solid base.

But we'll see in a month or two how it looks.

Reminds me a lot of Shadowbane.

Everything above the status of a crappy tutorial town was player-built and player-owned.

People would go out and farm mobs (in that sad and braindead old-school MMO way where you'd rotate through like 3-4 nearby spawns for hours) for levels and loot, they'd take the loot back to your guild town and sell it as vendor trash, the vendor the guild owned would turn their trash into money in my pocket, and then they'd go to another vendor and buy Boots of Running Slightly Faster at 3,000% markup (also money in my pocket). It was like running a company store. Or having serfs or something.

But then other people with high-level characters would come and kill the poor little farmers, which was fun and easy and also got you hours worth of loot in one two-minute fight, so you had to sit there and protect your little farmers, or at least patrol the area some. Real feudalism hours.

Also we got into a war with people who lived in California or Australia or something, and the way the city siege system worked basically every consequential battle would happen at 6 a.m.