Initiative Icons CHange?

Crab Fear.1624

I like how it's just like a few people who don't happen to play thief acting confused like this change is positive. It's neutral at best. The change of the design is actually what's confusing. Why did we change the design? I like it being a bar of initiative dots. Tomes don't regenerate their uses and don't have as many dots as initiative, so the design there is okay. There hasn't even been any communication on if it was intended or something meant for the next thief e-spec (something that at this point is just speculation). Surely if it wasn't intended, there would have been some sort of response? If it was intended, they should have said something in the patch notes about the change.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

44 minutes ago, Shademehr.1397 said:

I'm in the "this is TERRIBLE" crowd.  The graphic for initiative before was linear.  Just like stereo volume, fuel in vehicles, etc.  It made sense at a glance and brains are used to processing that style, not some freaky diagonal line zig zag pattern.

But there are less "columns" and you know the bottom row is odd and top is even (at least with trickery). So 3 pts on the bottom is 7 initiative, wayyyy easier to see than counting 7 tiny diamonds. 4 on the top is 8

• Like 6

On 10/8/2021 at 12:33 AM, Shademehr.1397 said:

no need to be condescending.

I made my point.  Either agree with it or not.  It is not easier for me.

I think that was his way of pointing out that the other guy got his maths wrong; three initiative points on the bottom actually means 5 or 6 ini because the bottom row has the first dot, 7 ini would need 4 points on the bottom row and three on the top. Which of course contradicts the other guy's point that this change makes the bar easier to read, considering he got that wrong while explaining how good the change is. Sure, he didn't need to be condescending, but it's a forums, that happens. 

On 10/5/2021 at 12:29 PM, Acemos.2856 said:

yes it's awful. i hope, if it wasn't intended, it gets fixed; if it was intended, i hope there's an option to go back to the original. i don't wanna count diagonal 

It's really bad, you don't just change a core ui element and give no option to use the old.

• Confused 1

On 10/9/2021 at 9:02 AM, Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

I think that was his way of pointing out that the other guy got his maths wrong; three initiative points on the bottom actually means 5 or 6 ini because the bottom row has the first dot, 7 ini would need 4 points on the bottom row and three on the top. Which of course contradicts the other guy's point that this change makes the bar easier to read, considering he got that wrong while explaining how good the change is. Sure, he didn't need to be condescending, but it's a forums, that happens. 

No it actually depends. It could be 5 or 6 (yea i mistyped and hit '7' before) but its so easy to tell/count (again, imo) i didn't feel i needed to explain. My bad. 

Edited by SlitheSlivier.1908

On 10/9/2021 at 2:02 PM, Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

That is precisely what i meant. It was simply the maths was wrong, and there's no explanation that can account for that... I naturally assumed it was temporary brain fail on the math rather than an inherent belief in the representation 🙂 Trying to prove something by immediately getting it wrong... the irony was amusing.

I personally am not adverse to the change, more "clutter" maybe, but given the plethora of red rings and animations for skills on screen, the init bar change is a nothing visual impact. As for counting, it's just like rebinding keys. You adapt to the change - maybe at first you don't so curse it, but within a few hours you will and no longer notice. If people can't spatially adapt then they've problems with wider life than just an init bar in a game. As it is, you have to know the differences in init costs in different game modes and apply as required.

Personally not being able to use the skill and seeing it out on the skills bar (greyed out etc) is a far quicker determination than counting or recognising what is effectively a pattern to determine if you can use a skill. Thief players should be adept in their initiative management that they almost don't *need* a representation of init counts. almost.

Edited by Chips.7968
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1